Corsair Community

RAM advice for Gigabyte DS3 needed

Ahriman4891

Hi all,

A couple of months ago I bought a Gigabyte DS3, C2D E6300, and 2 gig kit of XXX turbo ddr2-667 ram. The system refused to boot, no error beep, nothing. I replaced the mobo, same thing. Thinking that maybe the default voltage is just too high for the mobo to boot with XXX ram (they specify 2.0V for 4-4-4-12 operation, even though it's supposed to boot at 1.8) I got a 256 meg stick of corsair value select ddr2-533.

I was able to boot and make XXX ram work in 2 cases:

1) when the voltage is 2.4 volts (!!) but the machine freezes in 10 minutes.

2) when the corsair stick is also present in the computer. So I have 2304 megs of RAM now, but can't run them above the corsair's spec (533-4-4-4-12).

I decided to RMA the XXX mem and just try to sell the replacement they send me, so I need another RAM to replace it. The corsair memory guide gave me a bunch of recommendations for ddr2 675, 800 and above. I would like some advice on exactly which 2 Gig Corsair kit to purchase to replace it--I know that DS3 has problems with Micron D9 chips, but actual chip info is not listed and hard to find. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I don't plan any crazy overclocks (I'll give it a try, but it's definitely not a priority), so I'd like to buy among ddr25400-6400 models:

TWIN2X2048-6400C4

TWIN2X2048-5400C4

TWIN2X2048-5400C4PRO

TWIN2X2048-5400C4PT

Of these, Gigabyte only lists 6400C4 as compatible... (also 8500 and 8500C5, but those are expensive overclocker models if I'm not mistaken and I don't want to buy them unless absolutely necessary)

Any tips?

P.S.

I have the latest F9 bios, obviously. Thanks!

I have two of these boards. I have run Corsair Value Select 667's at 800Mhz easily. I have run Promos 6400C4's at 1000Mhz. I run the 8500C5's at 4 - 3 - 3 - 9 with 850Mhz.

I just love the 8500C5's. They give such good tight timings but the 6400C4's basically give great throughput at 1000Mhz. They can't tighten up like the 8500C5's. The best I could get with the 6400C4's was 4 - 4 - 3 - 10 with 800Mhz at 2.1v or 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 @ 1000Mhz. I also made 854 @ 4 - 4 - 4 12.

All on the DS3.

With 6400C4's

At 1000MHz with 3.2GHz at 4:5

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Ropey123/5to4.jpg

At 854Mhz with 3.4Ghz at 1:1

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Ropey123/1to1.jpg

Keep in mind that this is not guaranteed. Just my results.

hth,

Derek

There is no hard and fast guarantee as IC's are subject to change at any time and the only guarantee is the speed and timings.

However, that beings said, Microns are in such short supply right now that I doubt you will easily find them in any 6400C4 parts. No guarantee though :)

I just bought a set for a friend and tested, installed them and they ran like all the other Promos sets though.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Ropey123/HPIM0092.jpg

Well, it looks like it's my best bet... And I had good experience with corsair in the past (and now the poor 256MB corsair basically let my new machine function :biggrin: ) So I'm going with this.

If there are any last minute comments/recommendations from anyone else, please speak now :D: I'm going to order later tonight. Thanks!

Well, my RAM arrived on Friday. As I installed it, the system immediately recognized it, and everything worked smoothly. The default settings were 5-5-5-15 @ 800 MHz @1.8V. I let it run like that for a couple of days. There was no abnormal behavior in either games or everyday stuff. After looking through several lab reports, I set it to 4-4-4-12 @ 800 @ 1.9. Both my sticks were manufactured in the 29th week of 2006.

So far, not a single hiccup. I will need to read up on C2D overclocking just so I don't do anything dumb accidentally, but I am already very satisfied with my system. :biggrin:

Derek, thanks again, I am a very happy camper now. I should have gone with corsair from the very beginning--while the incompatibility could be a random freak incident, the wealth of info on the corsair website (and thus the attention to customers) really is in another league.

the wealth of info on the corsair website (and thus the attention to customers) really is in another league.

I agree :)

I will need to read up on C2D overclocking just so I don't do anything dumb accidentally, but I am already very satisfied with my system.

I am happy to hear that you have had no issues. When you decide you want to do some overclocking, come over to the "Enthusiasts" section and you will get all the help you need to create a very fast and stable system. :D:

Archived