Corsair Community

Tell me what I need to fix in my OC

Nevets

System Specs:

AMD FX X2 4200+

EPoX MF570SLI/G Rev 2.1 (BIOS 7JUL06)

Corsair TWIN2X 2048-6400 XMS2-6400 (5-5-5-12)

XFX GeForce 7900GS (Not OC as of yet)

Cooler Master 500W iGreen Power Supply (SLI Certified)

Artic Freezer 64 Pro (Dropped my temps 20C, now at 30 idle and 50 under full load)

For the past two weeks I have been trying to get a stable overclock. Between changing the multipliers and tweaking voltages, I have been able to get stable at the following:

10 X 275 for 2750

9 X 295 for 2655

8 X 305 for 2440

On the 8 and 9 I can go higher but I have to increase Vcore to 1.58 instead of Vcore 1.54 at 10X. All other voltages are stock at 10X. Vdimm is 1.9V, HT = 3X, timings are as above. DDR2=400Mhz.

According to CPUz, this gives me 275FSB, CPU/10, 5-5-5-12-23 @1T, with a bus speed of 275 and HT of 825. I guess this equates to 1:1@1T.

See here:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/slessard/12121.jpg

I have not touched the ram as of yet except to set the 1T and changed the 18t to 12t in the BIOS because 12t is what the ram is rated as.

I think it is time to play with the ram but everytime I try to change the DDR2 setting over 400, my system will not boot so I am kind of stuck here.

Could someone please advise me on how to proceed next as this is my first OC with a dual core.

Question that I have:

Do I need to set my memory to 2T instead of 1T?

How am I to increase my DDR2 up from 400MHZ without crashing my system?

What other advice can you offer me to get the best of of this system?

Is 1:1 @1T good/bad/ugly or what?

I read that 1T was not good for dual cores, is this correct?

Shoud I loosen or tighten my timings?

Thank you

10 X 275 for 2750

According to CPUz, this gives me 275FSB, CPU/10, 5-5-5-12-23 @1T, with a bus speed of 275 and HT of 825. I guess this equates to 1:1@1T.

See here:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/slessard/12121.jpg

Question that I have:

Do I need to set my memory to 2T instead of 1T?

How am I to increase my DDR2 up from 400MHZ without crashing my system?

What other advice can you offer me to get the best of of this system?

Is 1:1 @1T good/bad/ugly or what?

I read that 1T was not good for dual cores, is this correct?

Shoud I loosen or tighten my timings?

The only reason to leave the Command Rate at 2T is if you are unstable with Memtest or have stability issues that setting to 2T alleviates. You are at 2.75GHz which is good. You are running at 1:1 which is good.

Try to set your timings to:

1. 5 - 5 - 4 - 12
  2. 5 - 5 - 4 - 11
  3. 5 - 5 - 4 - 10
  4. 5 - 4 - 4 - 10
  5. 4 - 4 - 4 - 10

I think you see the pattern. Be sure to set your Vdimm to 2.1v. Test each time with Memtest.

OK. This is where I am now.

CPU: 10 X 275 for 2750

FSB: 275

FSB:CPU: CPU/10 = 1:1 @ 1T

HT: 825

DDR2: 400

Timings: 3-3-3-5 @ 1T (Can't go any lower - no option in BIOS except AUTO which will result in 5-5-5-12)

Vcore: 1.54v

VDimm: 2.0v

All other voltages stock.

See here:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/slessard/12121finaltest.jpg

I assume there are more memory timings that I can adjust. I am wondering why SuperPi is taking ~32 seconds to run 1M. Is this normal for an OC like this or are there other options that I need to adjust?

Thanks again.

You can't compare your machine against Core2 numbers. When I had my Opteron 148 @ 2.9Ghz and 290MHz Corsair TCCD @ 1:1 I was getting upper 29's.

My 165 Opteron @ 2.75GHz with Corsair 4000's and a 305MHz FSB @ 5:4 gave me mid 33's.

You are fine with your score.

Thanks DerekT

You have both enlightened me in the art of OC'ing an AMD 2X and assisted me in getting my system at a stable OC by helping me understand what is was that I was doing.

This forum is lucky to have such a knowlegable person like you here to provide information to us newb OC'ers.

Thanks again for all your help and if you don't mind, when I get my C2D Conroe, I would like to tap you for information in help OC'ing that system too. Is there a place where you can direct me to start reading up on this stuff?

Thanks

Thanks DerekT

You have both enlightened me in the art of OC'ing an AMD 2X and assisted me in getting my system at a stable OC by helping me understand what is was that I was doing.

This forum is lucky to have such a knowlegable person like you here to provide information to us newb OC'ers.

Thanks again for all your help and if you don't mind, when I get my C2D Conroe, I would like to tap you for information in help OC'ing that system too. Is there a place where you can direct me to start reading up on this stuff?

Thanks

You are very welcome. When you decide to go with C2D please come here and we can figure out what route you would like to go. You can find much information regarding overclocking at:

http://www.overclock.net

When you go there, post a hello in the new section, say that I (Ropey) have referred you and go into the Intel section. The Overclock.net forum is geared for the newcomer overclocker, and allthough there are more than a few extreme overclockers there, the treatment of newcomers to the "Art of Overclocking" is first rate.

See you there.

Archived