Corsair Community

upgrade my RAM

Gerry

I Have 2 Modules (1GB)TwinX XMS 3700 (CMX512-3700) installed in my sytem (MSI Neo2-FIS2R + P4 2,8 Ghz)

I want to expand the memory up to 2 GB

what modules are the best way to combine with the XMS 3700

modueles must not have ECC + reg. Dimm

Regards

Gerry

Unfortunately, Corsair is phasing out most of its DDR1 modules. Everybody is going to DDR2, which will not fit your motherboard's slots. The only Corsair XMS/TWINX series DDR1 modules in production at this time are the 3200C2 and the 3200 (CAS 3) series. Eventually, the only DDR1 Corsair module will be the Value Select line.

And, of course, the XMS 3700 series was discontinued a few years ago. Thus, you will not be able to find new memory which can be added to your existing modules. Also, you should not mix any other memory module with your existing modules unless you want to risk major stability issues. In fact, mixing memory modules in the same system may result in the system failing to even POST at all.

In addition, due to the issues with the i865PE's memory controller, if you fill in all four memory slots you will have to drop your memory speed to DDR333/PC2700 instead of DDR400/PC3200 for reliable operation - and if you mix modules, you will certainly have to drop your memory speed to DDR266/PC2100 or even DDR200/PC1600 in order to remain stable.

I understand your desire to move to a 2GB system as your computer is still more than robust enough and adding another GB would certainly add to the performance and doubly so in the newer games.

My advice would be for you to sell your two modules and look for two Corsair Value DDR modules such as Such as RJLeong65 suggested:

Corsair Value Select PC3200 1GB DDR400 CL3 184PIN DIMM Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145579

Thank you very much for your help.

Meanwhile I have ordered 2GB Twinx Modules

If the combination works I am very happy to have 3 GB`s if not I am satisfied to have 2 GB instead of one.

When everything is done I will report it here.

Regards

Gerry

Here is my final report:

Today I have received my ordered Twinx 2048-3200C2PT Modules.

First I tried them single - it worked fine

then I added my older Modules - it works also very fine.

now I have over 3 GB of Ram and I am very happy

I also raised some settings (P4 2,8 GHz) clocked to 3,10 GHz

DDR with 370 MHz ( maybe I try other settings too but I am to busy at the moment)

Thank you very much for your help !

Regards

Gerry

Archived