Corsair Community

Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular

Brassman

Hi guys ,first time on these forums , hope someone can clear something up for me,i have fitted a SAPPHIRE X1950 PRO AGP graphics card into my pc:biggrin: and i am having power supply problems (not enough amps) I have been advised it needs a 30a supply on the 12v rail constant, or 2x12v rail at 22a. now i have already orded the "Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-620HXUK)" but after reading andless forums etc, i am confused about single .dual and even this 3 rail power supply:confused: can someone tell me if this power unit will run this card please.:!:

granulf ,thanks for that you seem very sure about that, i am a newbie and i just upgraded my card which cost £150.00 and it crashes 5-10 mins into games checked temps etc. and all ok posted on sapphire site and elsewhere and was advised to get new psu:eek: so i have to splash another £100.00 i want to be sure to get the right one:biggrin: hope this cures the problem then i can start enjoying the games, i used to run a fx 5700td 256mb card so i should see a bit of difference (had to ask my son what you meant LOL thats how newbie i am )

3x 12v rails, this card has 2x molex connectors, so i presume that 1rail to each connetor on the card and the other to link the hdd,dvd drive,fan etc. am correct or will it not really matter which way they go?

Actually in reality it is one big 12V rail, so that shouldn't pose a problem. What is your current PSU? I recently read about another guy who had this x1950 pro which kept on freezing, don't think it was because of his PSU...

it is a 550 watt with a 30a 12v rail but that might be a max output it is made by COLOR could not find any extra info on it but i only paid £20 for it and i can not really trouble shoot untill i know i have a good psu also run some stress test for cpu etc and temps ok but 12v rail was dropping to11.3v when testing cpu under load the card was 69c the cpu was 38c and the syestem temp 36c so i think it is cool enough:sunglasse lots of talk on the sapphire forums about it

Never heard much about COLOR. My 500w can easily power 8800gtx and heavily overclocked x2 3800+ :)

If you measured 11.3V with multimeter that is way too low. Keep in mind the Corsair 520w is more than enough for your system, but if you have the money you might as well go for 620w.

i have gone for the 620w and should be deliverd on monday morning,when i first put the card in it would work windows and browse ok but when i put a dvd into watch it froze after a few minutes but that was because it has 2 molex connectors and i had only connected one up ,when i connected both up it played the dvd no problem,but it seems to me that for 3d grapics the psu is not up to the job,underload it should still be just about the 12v mark, i look forward to it coming and hope i have no other issues :sunglasse what was the other guys problem?and did he get it solved?

Strange, he hasnt come back. I have the same graphics card and the Corsair hx620w apparrently does not power it.

Sapphire reccommends the Enermax Liberty 620w as it has 22a on each 12v rail. apparrently 18 is not enough. The Corsair was my second attempt - I also have a Hiper 580w sitting here useless too. Anny suggestions are much appreciated as I cant get my new baby to work.

:mad:

Just read your other post and realised after looking at the which rails are which , that I have been powering the sappire on one 12v rail. both molex connectors on the card goin to one rail.. the green. is this wrong?

Hi sym8olo,try taking a rail from the red and one from the green, mine powerd up ok and i managed 2 laps os gp4 before i had to leave it ,but alas when i had to reboot later nothing at all, i know they recomend the enermax psu,but the corsair 620 is capable of sustaining 30a across the 3 rails,is it compensates between the three ie if one is low it will get power from another so two rails should be able to sustain 30a if they have max rating of 36a thats what i assume and maybe RAMGUY can put us right. but i have had mine working for a short while and i think i had a psu failure fingers crossed :eek:

Have you got the catalyst control center installed? maybe the drivers are causing you problems? dont really know but just a thought!! as you say the psu works your other card!!

HI Brassman! NO I uninstalled all my nvidia graphics drivers boot into safe mode and remove them with Driver cleaner pro and then try to reboot with my ati card installed and I cannot even post. the fans spin up at max speed and just stay there at max- no post beep= nothing. So I havent got as far as installing any ATI drivers since I havent even got as far as windows :(:

Yes it posts fine with and powers the system fine with my geforce 6800gt , I am almost certain it's just the card has crap compatability and needs a BIOS flash to correct it. Is that amp rating sustained or max?

Another thing thats bothering me is that with speed fan and with ITE Smart Guardian my 12v voltage hovers around 11.7 - max 11.78

I personally am running a Sapphire x1950 PRO (PCI-E) with a Corsair HX620W, and believe me, it's a great match. The HX520W would have been more than enough for this video card, but I wanted to have a small amount of futureproofing considering I can't keep from eyeing the 8800 series and the future R600 series. Last time I upgraded to this card, power consumption (with my old power supply) was a limiter, I don't want that to be a serious issue with my next card.

The HX620W is going to get you by for a while.

Yes i bet you are right but at the moment i can not get my pc to start up at all

i have all ready had one replacement but the psu seems to be ok it's not getting a signal to power on so they say i am waiting for further input from tachnical

as soon as i put my £20 psu back in it works (appart from not enough to power this x1950 card) getting tired now have been trying to get it to work since before christmas:(:

Hi ram guy i have emailed George Makris who is looking onto the fault i have already had a psu changed and at the moment i dont think it is faulty as i have done the paper clip test you may George and if so may wish to talk to him , i would love to have a happy ending and a i am awaiting a reply from him (getting desperate as i started this before christmas) cheers i will be happy to supply any extra info you need to help resolve this matter

• Corsair Employee
I'm pretty sure that the motherboard is not fully compliant with the ATX 2.2 to 2.4 specs, as we've seen this issue with another motherboard. That other motherboard was by Winfast/Leadtek, but the issue was nearly identical. Chances are it's looking for an out of spec reading on the +5sb rail, which is a very common problem with older motherboards made before the ATX 2.2 spec was finalized.

It may well be the case but in the hand book it says that it is backwards compatible with atx 12v 2.o1 systems!!whats that about, it does not look good when it wont even power up my mobo and my £20 psu does!! nowhere does it say NOT COMPATIBLE WITH "X Y Z " equipment!! i lashed out money because i was told this was the best kit on the market. the psu recommended for the sapphire card is the Enermax Liberty but i went for what i thought was a better product,is it possible for someone to contact winfast/leadtek as that is who makes my mobo(nf3250k8a agp) to confirm your thoughts,? and to see if there is a solution to this ?

It may well be the case but in the hand book it says that it is backwards compatible with atx 12v 2.o1 systems!!whats that about, it does not look good when it wont even power up my mobo and my £20 psu does!! nowhere does it say NOT COMPATIBLE WITH "X Y Z " equipment!! i lashed out money because i was told this was the best kit on the market. the psu recommended for the sapphire card is the Enermax Liberty but i went for what i thought was a better product,is it possible for someone to contact winfast/leadtek as that is who makes my mobo(nf3250k8a agp) to confirm your thoughts,? and to see if there is a solution to this ?

Did "atx 12v 2.o1" come before atx version 2.2?

I'm pretty sure that the motherboard is not fully compliant with the ATX 2.2 to 2.4 specs, as we've seen this issue with another motherboard. That other motherboard was by Winfast/Leadtek, but the issue was nearly identical. Chances are it's looking for an out of spec reading on the +5sb rail, which is a very common problem with older motherboards made before the ATX 2.2 spec was finalized.

If this is the case can you tell me if this mother board IS compliant " MSI K8MM-V K8M800 "and if possible suggest some socket 754 agp cards that are compliant with this psu

would appreciate this greatly as it looks like i will have to change mobo's

Archived