Corsair Community

Overclocking Ram

I need you guys to please help me on how to overclock my Corsair ram. I have the Corsair Twinx CMX512A-3200LL. My mother board is a Asus A7N8X-E. I know how to goto the bios and overclock the CPU but I don't know how to overclock the ram.

DRAM Settings:

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay – from 1 to 15 stepping 1;
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay – from 1 to 7 stepping 1;
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay – from 1 to 7 stepping 1;
SDRAM CAS Latency – Auto, 2T, 2.5T, 3T.

Advanced Chipset Features Settings:

CPU External Frequency - from 100 to 300MHz stepping 1MHz;
CPU Frequency Multiple – 13.0x, 13.5x, 14.0x, 6.5x, 7.0x/15.0x, 7.5x, 8.0x/16.0x, 8.5x/16.5x, 9.0x/17.0x, and from 9.5x to 12.5x stepping 0.5;
Memory Frequency - % of the FSB clock rate: 50%, 60%, 66%, 75%, 80%, 83%, 100%, 120%, 125%, 133%, 150%, 166%, 200%;
CPU Vcore changes from 1.5V to 1.75V stepping 0.025V;
AGP Frequency - 50MHz, from 66 to 87MHz stepping 1MHz, 90, 93, 95, 97, 100MHz.
DDR Reference Voltage – 2.6V, 2.7V, 2.8V.
AGP VDDQ Voltage – 1.5V, 1.6V, 1.7V. [/Code]

[/indent]

[b]Advanced Chipset Features[/b]

[b]

• CPU External Frequency = 200MHz
  • CPU Frequency Multiple Settings = Auto
  • System Performance = Optimal
  • Memory Frequency = 100%, test at 120%

[/b]

• SDRAM CAS Latency: 3
  • SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4
  • SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4
  • SDRAM Bank Cycle Time (or tRAS): 8

[b][/b]

This board has minimal ability to highly overclock because of the lack of a Northbridge voltage setting. I have set your DRAM very loose because you are overclocking it 20% over stock which means 240MHz. You can always test tightening them using Memtest from http://www.memtest.org. The DRAM bandwidth % ratio is not a very useful method and if you can not raise it that high, then you pretty much can not clock up that DRAM. However, that is decent DRAM and you should be able to make those timings at 240Mhz or DDR480.

If your system does not boot to the overclock then the system will either start up automatically with the default BIOS settings or fail to boot. If it fails to boot, turn the system off completely and restart whilst pressing the Ins key in the right time.

Hope this helps,

Derek

DRAM Settings:

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay – from 1 to 15 stepping 1;
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay – from 1 to 7 stepping 1;
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay – from 1 to 7 stepping 1;
SDRAM CAS Latency – Auto, 2T, 2.5T, 3T.

Advanced Chipset Features Settings:

CPU External Frequency - from 100 to 300MHz stepping 1MHz;
CPU Frequency Multiple – 13.0x, 13.5x, 14.0x, 6.5x, 7.0x/15.0x, 7.5x, 8.0x/16.0x, 8.5x/16.5x, 9.0x/17.0x, and from 9.5x to 12.5x stepping 0.5;
Memory Frequency - % of the FSB clock rate: 50%, 60%, 66%, 75%, 80%, 83%, 100%, 120%, 125%, 133%, 150%, 166%, 200%;
CPU Vcore changes from 1.5V to 1.75V stepping 0.025V;
AGP Frequency - 50MHz, from 66 to 87MHz stepping 1MHz, 90, 93, 95, 97, 100MHz.
DDR Reference Voltage – 2.6V, 2.7V, 2.8V.
AGP VDDQ Voltage – 1.5V, 1.6V, 1.7V. [/Code]

[/indent]

[b]Advanced Chipset Features[/b]

[b]

• CPU External Frequency = 200MHz
  • CPU Frequency Multiple Settings = Auto
  • System Performance = Optimal
  • Memory Frequency = 100%, test at 120%

[/b]

• SDRAM CAS Latency: 3
  • SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4
  • SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4
  • SDRAM Bank Cycle Time (or tRAS): 8

[b][/b]

This board has minimal ability to highly overclock because of the lack of a Northbridge voltage setting. I have set your DRAM very loose because you are overclocking it 20% over stock which means 240MHz. You can always test tightening them using Memtest from http://www.memtest.org. The DRAM bandwidth % ratio is not a very useful method and if you can not raise it that high, then you pretty much can not clock up that DRAM. However, that is decent DRAM and you should be able to make those timings at 240Mhz or DDR480.

If your system does not boot to the overclock then the system will either start up automatically with the default BIOS settings or fail to boot. If it fails to boot, turn the system off completely and restart whilst pressing the Ins key in the right time.

Hope this helps,

Derek

Is there a way I can copy and paste all this infos to my bios since it all sounds soo confusing. I know how to overclock the CPU External Frequency = 200MHz but how do I know what is the right setting to put on without burning the system or damaging. If you need more specs about my PC I can give it to you but please ask what you need. Some specs I don't know where to look at so I need you to tell me were to look at to find them.

If I set the system performance to aggressive will it automaticly set ever other settings to max? I know I have to manual set the CPU to 200mhz and that's the highest it can go. But can you tell me exactly what I can do to get the highest settings for everything without damaging the CPU or motherboard. I want my PC to be the fastest it can bem since I play games.

Perform the settings I advised. Download memtest and test your system at the 3200+ setting with the DRAM settings I advised.

If you find no errors, then you can set the individual performance setting higher and test in the same way. If no errors occur, then you are good.

You need to test to find these things out. Of course it is beneficial to set to aggressive if you still have a stable system...

Set and test. Tweak and test. Find out for yourself what works and doesn't. This is how enthusiasts learn what is beneficial to their system. Come in and find out what the maximum voltages are for the hardware and then play with the timings within those voltage parameters.

Archived