Corsair Community

Can't pass POST, memory bad?

UKOD

Here's the story, I built a new box with the following:

P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP

Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHZ LGA775

Corsair 2 x 1GB DDR 800 PC2 6400

EN8800GTX-HTDP-768M

Starts up fine the first time, passes POST no problem. I load XP Pro and install the bundled ASUS drivers. I also load all the other bundled drivers (video card, etc.). Everything goes fine. Connect to the internet to check the WiFi...fine. So I call it a day and shut it down (through windows)...fine.

The next day when I attempt to start it up - nothing. Nothing on the screen, won't pass POST. I get three short beeps a looong pause and some random beeps. Fans on, ASUS light on. Call ASUS tech support, they listen to the beeps and tell me it's possibly the memory. I follow their directions and test each memory stick individually, swap slots, try all possible combos. Still I get the same POST failure and beep code. Tech support tells me to RMA the motherboard, so I do.

Yesterday I get the new motherboard, put everything back together and...........NOTHING. No POST same beep code. Grrrrrr. So now I'm thinking, is the memory bad? I've got two more sticks on order but I would appreciate any insight to my problem..........

Archived