Corsair Community

Bad CMX1024-3200C2PT

suraklin

When I first bought my TWINX2048-3200C2PT, upgrading my system to 2GB, I had asked questions here about mixing it with my original 1GB, and learned quite a lot. I loved the RAM but recently I was experiencing a few crashes while gaming. I uninstalled the game and the installs would crash during file decompression. CHKDSK was coming up with minor amounts of corruption. I assumed my harddrive was starting to go bad, so did a full sector scan, no luck. I thought it could be my RAM, so I ran Memtest v1.65 and errors came up. Wanted to rule out the RAM slots, so I installed the old 1GB of TWINX1024-3200C2PT and Memtest came out fine. I assume my CMX1024-3200C2PT pair has gone bad. (XMS3202v1.2)

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

My settings haven't changed since I installed this RAM in June. That was the last touch I made to my system as far as hardware or BIOS goes. Only one of the modules of my TWINX2048 set is testing bad. Again, my old TWINX1024 set is working flawlessly. I am running BIOS 1019, the newest, released over 2 years ago. I bought this RAM through NewEgg or Chumbo, and am having problems locating my invoice.

My RAM settings are 2-3-3-6

My burst length is set to 8 Clocks.

DRAM Idle Timer 16T

My voltage is 2.75

Thanks for the help.

• 9 months later...

Reviving an old thread, but the RAM that was replaced by the RMA back in April has gone bad. I know it's not a problem with my motherboard as I'm running 2x 512 sticks in the same slots I was running the 2x 1024 sticks. None of my settings have changed at all, voltage and timings are still as discussed earlier.

The stick of RAM that has gone bad is the one sent out to me for my previous RMA six months ago -- a CMX1024-3200CPT XMS3202v2.2

If I put this stick into my computer alone, I cannot even boot to run MEMTEST86. I get CMOS Checksum Bad, and it wants me to reflash my bios. Any other stick of RAM in my computer and it boots fine.

(edit: Was the replacement of one of my XMS3202v1.2 with a v2.2 a bad thing? I did have a matched pair before my first RMA. It did not seem to affect their ability to run in dual channel for 6 months, and Janam Kaur had told me there wouldn't be a problem in email. Just confirming..)

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed customer service on October 9th and October 17th, linking them to this thread. I also explained in detail what the issue was in case this thread wasn't read. I have yet to receive any replies. Please let me know if I'm sending this to the wrong place. Thanks!

The following message is copy-pasted from what I sent customerservice@corsairmemory.com both times:

-----------------------------------------------

Per this thread:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=311403

I had a bad CMX1024-3200C2PT that was part of a matched pair XMS3202v1.2

I only sent back one module in APRIL-2007, per RMA# R219731.

The module that was returned to me was XMS3202v2.2.

I emailed Janam Kaur, and he replied to me on April 14, 2007 that it would be no problem running the modules together in dual-channel mode, even though they were different revisions.

I ran the modules together in dual-channel mode with no problem until this week, when the module that was replaced in April went bad. I cannot boot my system with this module installed. My original older module still works without incident. I am currently running two CMX512-3200C2PT in the same slots the 1GB modules were in, without problems.

Ram Guy wanted me to contact you about getting my TWINX2048-3200C2PT set replaced, so that both modules would match.

(signature removed)

Archived