Corsair Community

HX620W Arrived. 2 Questions now

Selaiah

Hey there,

My new HX620W arrived today. I have 2 questions now.

In my 24 PIN Adapter there are only 23 Pins and 23 Cables. (1 Pin near the middle simply is empty) - Is that normal?

If needed I'll take a picture.

The second question.

Assuming I'd go dual 8800 GTX. Where to get the 2 missing PCI-E Lanes from?

Best Regards.

Hey there,

My new HX620W arrived today. I have 2 questions now.

In my 24 PIN Adapter there are only 23 Pins and 23 Cables. (1 Pin near the middle simply is empty) - Is that normal?

If needed I'll take a picture.

The second question.

Assuming I'd go dual 8800 GTX. Where to get the 2 missing PCI-E Lanes from?

Best Regards.

The missing pin in the middle is normal. All 24 PIN cables have that.

I'm sorry but I do not know the answer to your PCI-E question, but you'll have one beast of a rig with 2 8800's :D:

Well although I'm sure you do want nothing but to help that wasn't the question.

=D If you read the posts around here you will ahve read that the Corsair guys do keep saying letting people know that there will be no issues with dual 8800 gtx.

Well although I'm sure you do want nothing but to help that wasn't the question.

=D If you read the posts around here you will ahve read that the Corsair guys do keep saying letting people know that there will be no issues with dual 8800 gtx.

I have spent the last 4 days reading posts here for hours at a time. :bigeyes:

"Assuming I'd go dual 8800 GTX. Where to get the 2 missing PCI-E Lanes from?" was one of your question, and my reply answered it. Yes, I know they have done it, my response had 2 very important words in it..."Officially Certified" If you check nvidia's web site, you can see for yourself.

I am in a good mood today, so I got the link for you. :) http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html#certified_powersupplies

Sorry you seem to miss the point.

I don't want to know if its officially certified, I don't know why you keep telling me that, and I don't want to know it either =P

I am plainly inquireing how would i solve the problem of needing 2 more PCI-E PSU Connectors in a case where I'd have 2 Cards who each have 2 PCI-E slots.

• Corsair Employees
The cables should have came with the PSU to run the PSU in SLI mode with that Video card, you can call our Customer Service and see if you can get them sent to you. 888-222-4346 Ext "0" and who says our HX620W is not Quad SLI approved?

Ram Guy, the above posted link to Slizone is the official list of power supplies certified by NVidia to power high end sli systems. I don't see any Corsair brand supplies on the list. You might want to have someone at Corsair look into this in order to get them certified or if they are certified have the omision corrected. The Slizone link repeated:

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html#certified_powersupplies

• 3 weeks later...

At Nvidia's home site Corsair is not listed as certified for dual 8 series cards.

I am curious about this as well, since I will be building a rig very soon and I love the specs and look of the HX620W. I would be interested to see if this is an omission or not.

This comes straight off Nvidia's site

"For Dual GeForce 7900 GTX or Dual GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB*

Corsair HX620W"

There is no listing of a Corsair PSU under the 8 series SLI setups OR for dual 7950 GX2 GPU's.

• Corsair Employees

There is no listing of a Corsair PSU under the 8 series SLI setups OR for dual 7950 GX2 GPU's.

And there won't be. Even though it works 100% (as our internal testing has verified), nVidia won't test anything under 750W for the 8800GTX and 650W for the 8800GTS. The reason being, most manufacturers over-spec their PSUs, ie, saying their PSU is 750W, when under real circumstances (high temp, +12V rail amperage, etc) it's really only a 600 or so.

Our 620W is actually more powerful where it counts (+12V rail, for example) than a lot of our competition's 700 and 750W PSUs, and we did kind of shoot ourselves in the foot by under-speccing it. Since it can do 700-750W worth of +12V rail power, it would have been nice to call it that.

By default, it doesn't come with two 6-pin PCI-E power cables, but most PCI-E video cards come with the molex to 6-pin extensions, and we've used that with good results.

And there won't be. Even though it works 100% (as our internal testing has verified), nVidia won't test anything under 750W for the 8800GTX and 650W for the 8800GTS. The reason being, most manufacturers over-spec their PSUs, ie, saying their PSU is 750W, when under real circumstances (high temp, +12V rail amperage, etc) it's really only a 600 or so.

Our 620W is actually more powerful where it counts (+12V rail, for example) than a lot of our competition's 700 and 750W PSUs, and we did kind of shoot ourselves in the foot by under-speccing it. Since it can do 700-750W worth of +12V rail power, it would have been nice to call it that.

By default, it doesn't come with two 6-pin PCI-E power cables, but most PCI-E video cards come with the molex to 6-pin extensions, and we've used that with good results.

I see. I am planning on running a single 8800 GTS or GTX for a while, since for my MMO gaming SLI is not worth the money for the small performance gains at the moment. I mainly wanted an SLI PSU and a Mobo that could handle true 16x sli in case SLI became a better option for my games of choice (MMORPG's) down the road. I did notice the combined amperage is well within specs for SLI setups. Also the active PF rating is nice.

I am not an overclocker at all - CPU, GPU, Ram - I always run them at stock speeds so I wouldn't be putting a huge demand on the GPU other than the GPU(s) and a 6000 series C2D(6300 or 6600 not sure yet). A sata drive and a USB drive, whatever USB ports I have and a couple optical drives, and a dedicated 5.1 surround card shouldn't take a ton of power. Can't go wrong with a 5 year warranty...haven't checked the specifics on that yet however.

Sorry for the ramble..this is my first time building a computer and I am trying to get as much information as possible...it's exciting and scary all at the same time.

Thanks for the clarification. I am seriously looking at the 620.

Archived