Corsair Community

Asus a8v Deluxe & Corsair Twinx cmx512-3200c2

Robaird

I have same motherboard and memory (twinx cmx 512-3200LL). Computer has been solid for 1 year (using 2.8v per Ram Guy's instructions after memtest gave me errors initially). Left computer on for three days last week, shutdown, got a few visual basic and related Word errors (had set up some macros for first time, in word). Next day it took forever to boot (6 to 10 minutes) and applications took several minutes as well. No problems found by spybot; adaware would not run.

Memtest yielded multiple errors on test 5 (at >256 megabytes). Testing sticks individually, no problems. Testing pair in other computer, no problem. Looked at voltage in bios, numbers were good (3v was 2.85, rest were dead on)--bios locked up momentarily a few times when selecting hardware monitor. Swapped out powersupply with only mb, hd, and cdrom powered, still errors on memtest. Flashed bios (v1017), still errors on memtest.

Does this mean mb or cpu is at fault? Tests on Hiren Boot CD said both mb and cpu passed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Except for buying new mb or cpu, no practical access to other system for quick test (out of artic silver, one is aircooled and other watercooled, ....).

UPDATE: Clean install on spare drive may have gotten rid of slow downs (still have to load it up w/ software); but still same memtest error.

• 10 months later...

Have ASUS A8V Deluxe MB and 1GB (2 x 512) Corsair Value Select 184-in DDR 400 (pc3200)

I want to increase Memory to 2GB (2x 1 GB) of Corsair XMS Select L3.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145486 ...

Seems much more reliable based on reviews and a little faster.. and only a few dollars more after rebate.

BUT ... have never changed BIOS settings on my computer and from what I read it's not going to just plug-and-play.

Have changed video Cards/fans and simple identical memory increase on another computer.

But messing with the BIOS, which appears, I understand by hitting 'delete' on start-up (similar to safe-mode) leaves me pretty clueless. Should I just go for it and muddle through? Get help in house (I don't have any qualified friends but do know some techs I'd have to give a small fee to)? Or just get the much less well reviewed and less reliable 2GB of Value Select?

OR lastly, and most price efficiently by half ($100) just get two more 512mb strips of Value Select (making 4). But I'm told using the second set of Mother Boards strips can even slow you down.

thx

PS, I'm not a gamer, just like a fast machine and my apps, like Norton Internet Security seem to Sprawl into any memory I give them.

For about another year....I've had the below 2 yrs and it's running great with a Roadrunner 5mbs connection.

AMD 3500+

160gb WD

GeForce 5700

480W PS

Raidmax Virgo Case/Temp gauge/120mm+80mm fans

Viewsonic Vp201b

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived