Corsair Community

Asus A8V Deluxe - Upgrade from 1 to 2 Gb

flemmo

Hi,

I have an Asus A8V Deluxe with 1GB - TWINX1024-3200XLPT (2-2-2-5 latency). I'm needing to upgrade to 2GB but Cosair dont seem to make TWINX1024-3200XLPT anymore. Will it be okay to put a TWINX1024-3200C2 PT (2-3-3-6 latency) in there? What's my best option for good compatibility?

Thanks.

Not an answer I'm afraid, but an echo of your question to anyone reading this. I've got an A8V Deluxe also and am seeking to double up my RAM from 2GB to 4GB. I currently have 2GB of TWINX2048-3200 DDR RAM (3-4-4-8) bought in September 2004 which doesn't seem to be available now. Is there any matched pair of 1GB sticks I can buy now that will play nicely with what I've got currently without any (or too much) fiddling?

Thanks

The problem you both will encounter is stability issues when running 4 memory dimms at the same time. The CPU's memory controller can have issues playing nice with 4 dimms populated. First off, all 4 dimms MUST be identical in type, speed and model/revision numbers. Flemmo, I would recommend scrapping the 1 gb you are using now and buy a 2 gb kit to replace it (a lot less hassle than trying to get 4 sticks to run stable). Hmobius, you have no choice but to try to get 4 dimms to work if you want 4 gb. Good luck because it will be hit and miss to find another 2 gb kit that will work with your current 2 gb. If you do, you will need to tweak your memory settings to get them all to play nice. First, you will need to drop the memory speed from 400 mhz to 333 mhz as the CPU's memory controller requires this to run 4 dimms at the same time. Also you will need to set the memory command rate from 1T to 2T which will give you a further memory performance hit. IMHO 4 gb ram under Windows XP is kind of a waste as XP will not be able to use the full 4 gb anyways (XP will report seeing only about 3 gb). Hmobius, you might want to post your exact memory model and revision #. Ram Guy might be able to tell you what brand and speed chips were used on your memory dimms so you can find another set that uses the same memory chips. That would be your best bet for compatibility. Good luck both of you.

• Corsair Employee

That would be best for performance!

And hmobius, I agree with JonKrmr 4 modules is hit and miss, but for sure all four modules would need to be the exact same revision and you may be limited to DDR333. If you are using WinXP I would stay with one set of modules!

• 4 weeks later...

I recently upgraded to an Athlon FX-60 Dual Core and added another pair of TWINX1024 3200C2 (2 x 512). Although Win98 won't start (not enough memory :confused: ), I loaded XP Pro and have had it running at 2.9Ghz with the multipliers alone. Before the upgrade I had the memory (1 Gig of it) overclocked to 240Mhz at 2 3 3 6 2T timings (I've since turned it back down to CL 2.5). Here's a link to my CPU-Z report (it would be nice to be able to upload html files, I'm too busy to set up screen capture right now).

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/pjd61261/cpuz.htm

My modules are XMS 3202v5.2 (0602097-2) and XMS 3202v4.3 (0439103-1)

Just read on another thread that the CL 2.5 for AMD doesn't apply to AMD 64, so I'm going to up it again to 2 (2 3 3 6 2T)

Archived