Corsair Community

At a loss

jplourde

Hey,

I've had a set of the TWIN2X2048-6400CR modules running in my ASUS P5W DH Deluxe for a month and a half. Two days ago I got a BSOD in windows and was pretty much unable to post. (Work for at times, but would reboot randomly) Finally, removing one of my memory modules got it working again. So, after I ran solid for a while, I tried placing the bad memory module back in and run memtest on it from a bootable ISO. I ran it for about a half hour, it got through a full pass and didn't show any errors.

So, I figured it wasn't the RAM, but maybe the second slot on the motherboard. But as soon as I rebooted the computer to Windows with just this memory module in it, the system rebooted and then it started failing to post intermittently. Switched the modules again, and everything seems fine.

So, hmmm - not sure. I would think if it was an issue with the memory that would cause it to fail to post and/or reboot windows within 60 seconds of it loading, it would show all kinds of issues in Memtest. Any thoughts????

Also, I've tried running with the latest (Non Beta) bios version for this board.

Thanks for the help,

James

Not sure what you mean by "set the tested settings". I was running at DDR-800 2.1 Volts, and memtest passed just fine. It wasn't until I booted into Windows that it began to reset my machine erratically. Once I rebooted, I began experiencing lockups at post and in the bios. This happens consistently with one of the two 1GB modules. Has never happened with the other 1GB module. I will retry the memtest with the frequency settings at 667 MHz, please let me know if I should do something further with regard to the quote above.

Thanks,

James

• Corsair Employees
With that MB I would try and set the memory Frequency at 667 MHz and please Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and then test the modules again with the Voltage set to 2.1 Volts and the tested settings set manually! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

I changed the settings to what you ask 667 plus 2.1 Volts ( I was running 2.1 volts, but at the 800Mhz setting it is rated for). There was no write to Precharge delay in my bios settings (1707). After approximately 10 tries, I could not get the system to boot into the CD rom image for memtest. Admittedly, I was able in the past to get it to boot and memtest seemed to run through an entire pass, but I was unsuccessful getting it to even boot.

Once again, the other memory module that came with the pack has zero problems. I run it at 2.1 Volts with DDR-800Mhz settings and it never has issues. Plug the bad module in, locks up on post at times, sometimes locks up while I'm in the bios changing settings.

James

Archived