Corsair Community

Will The Corsair HX520W Handle These Specs?

SAR

These are my old box specs. PLEASE read my last reply.

Original old specs:

Mainboard: Abit KN8 SLI

CPU: Opteron 150

HSF: Thermaltake Silent 939 K8 HSF

HDD: WD Raptor 150 (ADFD)

PSU: Corsair HX520W

CASE: Coolermaster Praetorian 730

RAM: 2GB EL DDR PC-3200

Video: eVGA (x2) 7950 GT KO 512MB

Sound: X-FI XtremeMusic

Monitor: NEC 20WMGX2

Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse

Mouse: Logitech MX-518

THANKS

The minimum would be a 500 Watt Power Supply with two of these cards. Keep in mind that Raptors are also quite a bit more power hungry than the average 7,200 rpm hard drives.

Is the Opteron 150 overclocked? If so, what is the FSB and Clockspeed as well as the core voltage of the system?

There is a condition called "Threshold Voltage" which is the amount of power necessary to turn on and switch the transistors gates and which increases vastly with overclocking and especially so with CPU core voltage raises.

There is a formula for the switching power:

Power ~ ½ CV ² Af

This formula states that dissipated power is linear with the effective capacitance, activity and frequency. Power increases quadratically with the CPU's core voltage.

Thus when you overclock you are increasing the necessary voltage by a multiple of four and the voltage effects are not linear but multiplicative, and exponential. So minimums are not a good practice to follow as it is is very necessary for a strongly functioning power source to supply the overclocking needs.

Did you remove the drivers and reinstall new ones with the new graphics adapter? Try driver cleaner from http://www.driverheaven.net

Well I've been playing with a OC on the Opty, but it looks like I have a crap stepping and can only get around 2.66ghz out of it.

I'm playing with it around these settings:

FSB: 250

Multi 10x

Dram: DDR333

Volts: 1.48-1.52

THANKS

Here's a test to see if it is the PSU. Remove the overclock. Play the games. Yes, they will be slower due to the removal of the overclock, but the "lag" you are experiencing is more attributable to power or driver issues. Lower FPS is more attributable to GPU/CPU clocking issues so don't worry about the lower FPS.

Is the lag still there?

Is F.E.A.R. dual/multi threaded ?

What else have you got running, and going on in the background while playing ?

I have just sorted a friends brand new box that was slower than my Asus (his was just got and running a core duo) much slower, but it was just that the box was so loaded up with junk TBH nothing much stood a chance. Task manager was about 4 pages deep at boot !

Indexing costs about 5~10% and most users will never need it, there are also a lot of other things that just cost clock cycles and never get used, but you do say that running one card is better than two ?

Lenny_Nero this is a GAMING only box, I have it stripped to the bone. I don't use game IMs like Xfire, or have anything running in the background except NOD32.

My box is the epitome of clean and lean, LOL :cool:

I'm a geek and I know how to strip and run XP, so that's not my problem. ;):

Ok so BOSS man gave me the thumbs up on the PSU, so it's down to the CPU, Vid cards, drivers....

Personally the way I see the latest 90x drivers these things have been pretty bad, and also I get the feeling the SLI support might not be the hottest for the 7950 cards too.

At this point I'm more inclined to think the cards and drivers...

Anyone else?

THANKS

• 2 weeks later...
And Sar,

Our HX520W will be pleanty for that configuration.

My box specs have changed, highlighted in GREEN

Mainboard: Abit KN8 SLI

CPU: Opteron 165

HSF: Tuniq Tower 120

HDD: WD Raptor 150 (ADFD)

PSU: Corsair HX520W

CASE: Coolermaster Praetorian 730

RAM: 2GB EL DDR PC-3200

Video: eVGA (x2) 7950 GT KO 512MB Superclock

Sound: X-FI XtremeMusic

Monitor: NEC 20WMGX2

Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse

Mouse: Logitech MX-518

I plan to really push the Opty 165 upwards to 2.8ghz at least, so do you guys think my specs are still ok for the Corsair HX520W?

Evga says the min. for the 7950GT cards in SLI is 500W, I can't believe they use up all 500W, anyone know some facts on this the actual amount they'll use, and if I have much left over with these specs?

THANKS

NO Garvin, all I wanted to know NOW is if the Corsair HX520W is fine for my specs, that's all. :)

And from what I've read and seen so far it is.

Archived