Corsair Community

Trouble viewing BIOS

Scorpi0n

I just built a new computer with a P5B and the Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400. I can't view the BIOS to change settings because nothing appears on the screen (yes, I'm sure it's on). The computer restarts itself after a few seconds, as is usual, but not when I press Delete--so I think it is entering the BIOS settings, just not showing them. I have heard about many people having problems with this motherboard/RAM configuration, so I think it's possible that that is the problem.

Troubleshooting steps I've taken:

-cleared the CMOS by removing the battery AND moving the jumper

-swapped the 7900GT (PCIx16) with a GeForce FX5200 (PCI)

-swapped monitors

-moved RAM from A1 and B1 to A2 and B2

-inserted each RAM module individually into slot A1

-unplugged unnecessary components

Additionally, the dvd drive will not open when it is plugged in. I just wanted to mention that in case that gives any clues as to what the problem could be (psu?), and also just in case anyone has any suggestions to mend that problem. I'm looking for other troubleshooting ideas, possible explanations, and a way to view the BIOS settings!

What do you mean by "value ram"? I could replace the board, but I'd have to pay newegg.com's 15% restocking fee and then even more for the upgraded board. I purchased the non-deluxe version because I have no need for built-in wi-fi.

Sorry for posting 3 times in a row, but for some reason I thought all P5B Deluxes had built-in Wi-Fi, but I guess not. Still, I'd rather not buy one because that will cost me $50 more than the standard P5B, plus newegg's restocking fee, which will be another $19. My tests seem to me to indicate a bad motherboard, so I think I'll send it back and get a replacement. Is that a good idea, or are there any more tests I can or should do before I send it back?

The low default RAM voltage settings of the P5B can be a problem. Some have had to insert a Value (Low end stick of ram) piece to enter the bios and set the Vdimm (DRAM Voltage) higher. They then shut the system off and replace the value stick with the higher end ram, now set at a higher Vdimm.

It is doubtful that both sticks of DRAM inserted singly would be the issue. One, quite possibly. Two becomes quite doubtful. I find the P5B-Deluxe a far better board with regards to abilities and stability. However, if the board is the issue then an RMA to ASUS or Newegg would be one consideration. I would test with a stick of 533MHz low end ram and see if you gain a boot first though.

Unfortunately, I do not have any other DDR2 I can test with. I'm going to RMA the board through newegg for a replacement and return the RAM, then purchase the PRO version of the RAM, which I hear works fine. The only problem is, I will only be able to afford 1GB of it, rather than 2. Thanks for the tips though, in case anyone is interested, I'll post the results of my trials here whether they work or not.

• 3 months later...

Sorry I did not post this sooner, but regardless:

As it turns out, the GPU was fried; that was the real problem. After putting the new motherboard and RAM in, the computer still wouldn't work. I replaced the GPU and now it works just fine. I guess the other GPU I tested before must have also been inoperable.

Archived