Corsair Community

Striker extreme + junk? ram

Sokaris

Hi i'm getting a few errors with my new system and i think its the ram.

Specs:

Asus striker extreme

Core2Duo 6600

Geforce 8800 GTX

Seasonic M12 Modular 700W psu

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (set 4-4-4-12 2T)

I have been getting some errors/bluescreens/crashes some of which i know are due to early graphics drivers. However some errors are memory related.

I removed 2gb due to the fact they won't reach the timings stated with all 4 dimms inserted in my motherboard this still leaves me with errors closing winamp like : the instruction at 0x00f1d633 referenced memory at 0x00000000, the memory could not be read. among others.

I've tested the modules in memtest with both in slots (test passes no errors)

I test them single and thats where the fun starts: one stick 338 errors at 1022mb. stick 2: 2048 errors in test 5 at 1022 - 1023mb.

A single retest at the seemingly much slugier 667mhz 4-4-4-12 timings produces no errors however the test takes longer to run and windows stalls.

I will test the other 2 sticks later... but its safe to assume this is bad corsair ram?

My bios and all drivers are 100% up to date. Can anyone give me the best settings for my motherboard?

• Corsair Employees

Please try and set the memory Frequency at 667 Mhz and the memory Voltage should be set to 2.1 Volts as well. If you still have problems I would suggest testing them one set at a time with the tested settings with http://www.memtest.org to make sure you dont have a failing module.

In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Back again.

Memtest all done.. all 4 sticks = fine (10 tests of test 5 followed by 3 full tests for each module)

Still running on 2 sticks (yes this board has full on issues with using 4 sticks)

Orthos gave 0 errors from a 4 hour ram/cpu blend test

I'm guessing this is Asus's problem... Don't buy 680i the issues are not worth it

The board also has the issues described on nvidia's site only due to asus altering it there has been no fix like the other four corps that just took nvidia's reference design and rebranded it.

These issues are:

* Random application shutdown (Happens to games a lot)

* Corrupted boot drive

* "Blue screen of death" (Happens to games a lot)

* Corrupt data

Thanks for the assistance ramguy. i'm going to get a new board :(:

Not really.

I updated the bios today to latest.

I've tested 800 and 667 and pretty much get identical problems, Relaxation of timings. I disabled all spectrum controls and many of the other things thought to cause trouble (ie linkboost). i tried with sli memory setting to expert. Windows however does boot under 667 now.

i've been unable to get winamp to crash today

Because of all things player related i've been unable to test world of warcraft in the places it likes to crash (40 man dungeons) i still get the crash to desktop without an error.

Phantasy star universe is nice enough to error every startup.

The instruction at "0x10007e17" referenced memory at "0x77d4eb03", the memory could not be "written".

All seem to be about reading/writing memory.

The last things i have to try is a windows/game reinstall under different clock settings/timings and a reinstall without the raid enabled.

Any more thoughts for me?

Jackpot just got a crash from WoW while in alterac valley.

This application has encountered a critical error:

Error #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception

Program: E:\Games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe

Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001b:005D9A08

The instruction at "0x005D9A08" referenced memory at "0x00000038".

The memory could not be "read".

*CHEER* :D:

I'm now running 4GB 6400c4 @ 2.1v 667.

The errors re-occured after windows xp reinstall.. it turns out it was Outpost Pro Firewall conflicting with the phantasy star online rootkit.. the moment Outpost is removed from the system errors vanish. I've also tested multiple other firewalls and get the same symptoms.

The driver is loaded all the time so it no doubt affected other things, i intend to reinstall windows a third time and never put that game in my machine again.

It kind of sucks not to get the max benefit from my memory. Do you think i can start pushing the clock up now?

I still have the autoclose issue to solve but i imagine this will be gone.

I thank you for your patience/help.

You will lose stability and very likely corrupt your OS if you raise your settings. The memory controller (Northbridge) is optimized for 2 GB and drops to 667 for a reason, that being to maintain stability.

I would not raise the DRAM speed personally.

A couple of questions (i made an ic inq however questions don't hurt)

CM2X1024-6400C4 XMS6404v2.1

0643057-7

CM2X1024-6400C4 XMS6404v2.1

0646093-2

I'd like to know:

A: Will these work together?

B: Are these rated for 667 when the packages say 800?

C: (assuming question A = correct) When installing 4gb is it better to use 2x 0643057-7 in slots A1+A2 and 2x 0646093-2 in B1+B2 or mix them?

You can't really be sure until you try it. Even if others have gained success with the identical DRAM and Mainboard, this does not extend to you gaining success. I personally never mix dram. As well, when you use all four slots you usually need to drop your bandwidth one notch ie. 800Mhz Dram --> 667Mhz and I find it is also a good idea to set the timings very loose ie 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 for the testing.

If you gain a boot and memtest works out fine, then you can begin to tighten timings and retest.

Archived