Corsair Community

Problems adding an additional module

backburn33

My laptop had a valueselect 1GB module when i bought it from a coworker, plus the 512 it was originally equipt with. i just got around to buying a second gig, approx 6 months later. now they each work individually, but when they are both in, windows (xp sp2) won't start. bios recognizes all memory, and also norton goback (which starts before windows) seems to startup fine.

is this a revision issue?

thanks for any help,

justin

i went ahead and called before i even got your reply because i'm impatient. not too imply your response was slow :) i just found the number after i found the forum.

anyway, i just wanted to say thanks for being so accomidating. seems like you guys could easily be pricks about it and say "tough luck, should have bought them together." way to not suck :) thanks a bunch.

That is what differentiates companies in this world. :sunglasse It "IS" a buyer's market and some companies forget this in the quest for the bottom line. :roll:

Corsair is NOT one of those companies. :D: It is why I come here to help. ;): I know that if I buy Corsair products I will receive the best support that I have found to this day. :biggrin:

memtest is still running, but so far i'm at 13,312 errors. i'm going on 2 1/2 hrs now, and it doesn't look close to finishing. i was making it into windows, but as soon as there was any resource drain it would flash a blue screen again with a bunch of stuff you don't have a chance to read, then restart. help!

Justin

last night i tested each module in each slot, no errors, tested both together again and got no errors. so i started windows first thing this morning, and everything seemed to work. i even did a few little things, including run cpu-z, which showed the memory was not running in dual channel. after about 10-15 minutes though, while i was afk doing other things, it restarted, and there on would resart almost immediately after each windows logon. the modules seem to be generating a lot of heat, however i never took note of how hot the old ones used to get. memtest is now running again on this lastest module/slot config, so far have recieved errors on test #5, and 7, 8. please note that i have no ability to modify timing or voltages or really anything whatsoever.

curiously, i checked the memory configurator, and the value select is not shown for my chipset. however it is what best buy put in there for the previous owner, and so, what i went with. should i be using different modules? it worked before, and when mixed with another manufacturers memory.

i'm really getting frustrated now. it's been almost two weeks since this started, and i can't really use my laptop for what i want with 512 MB. i've also just seen that toshiba is selling the memory brand that they support for their computers for about 50 bucks less than i paid per GB. not to mention the fact that i would have to pay no sales tax if i ordered it. i really do appreciate how eager everyone was to help with the whole rma deal, but if something doesn't start working is it a possibility that i can recieve a munfacturer refund? as only one will be returnable to the store, and only for another two weeks. can't a brother play no crack?

yeah, i specifically requested 4200 ram when i bought it--they did not stock it on the shelves, and so had to bring it out. but what they gave me, matched what was already in the computer. i just figured that the 5300 was backward compatible and would run at 533 on my system. so basically best buy screwed up right? which explains why it was so much more expensive. so what is the next course of action? just raise hell and get them to refund two modules, even though i only have a reciept for one? i can just start breaking stuff. i was suspicious at first, why i got those modules, but then i just forgot about that aspect of this whole debacle. even if you guys replaced them *again* i still would have over paid those retards.

if you'd still like to know specs...... toshiba satalite a105-s2101. ati radeon xpress 200m chipset, celeron 420 @ 1.6GHz.

now i just want to go blow up best buy.

• Corsair Employee

Well I would try them or call our customer service and see if they can replace what you have for the right memory since they sold you the wrong modules.

888-222-4346 Ext "0" and just ask if there is anything they can do.

Archived