Corsair Community

Uh oh.

roper22

I've been having issues booting up my PC and I was wondering if my RAM was compatible with my motherboard...

My ram can be found here: TWIN2X2048-6400, and my motherboard can be found here: Asus P5B-VM.

I've also included my problem, as quoted from a post I made at another Computer Support forum...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got all new computer parts for Christmas, and just finished putting it together. After turning it on, it looked good, for 5 seconds. It showed the motherboard screen, then immediately went to a message that said

"ODDO: SAMSUNG CD-R/CD-RW DRIVE

Press any key to continue..."

Another 5 seconds later, it went to a screen that said something like...

"CMOS settings wrong.

Overclocking Failed!

Enter Setup to re-configure.

Chassis Intruded !

Fatal Error... System Halted!"

Thing is, on the motherboard screen, it says to press Delete to enter Setup. I do, and it just goes to that first screen, the "ODDO: SAMSUNG..." screen. Is this just a compatability error, or something I can fix myself?

Also, roper22, which processor (CPU) are you using with your motherboard?

You see, current PC2-6400 modules know only PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) operation, and have major issues at slower speeds. Also, you may have a CPU running on an 800 FSB or (gasp!) 533 FSB. Intel dictates that you can only use up to PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) memory with an 800 FSB processor, or up to PC2-4200 (DDR2-533) memory with a 533 FSB processor.

I'm using an Intel Conroe E6600.

The FSB is 1066

The ram was listed as non-compatible, but I found another kit that was almost identical, except the latency is 4-4-4-12, not the 5-5-5-12 that I have now (that doesn't work).

Can someone just review this for me to make sure that these are definetly compatible?

Motherboard

Ram

Actually, microATX motherboards such as yours leave out a lot of settings from the BIOS. According to the users manual, your motherboard's DIMM voltage cannot be manually set higher than 1.95V -- while all of Corsair's PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) memory modules require 2.1V just to run reliably at their rated speeds. Thus, until someone comes up with PC2-6400 memory that runs reliably at 1.8V and 5-5-5-x timings, you will have to downgrade to PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) memory with your motherboard (the Value Select VS2GBKIT667D2 kit is recommended for that motherboard).

Do you think you can find a link for me?

EDIT: I searched VS2GBKIT667D2 on the Corsair website but got a page with lists of ram, unless that was the point?

EDIT2: Alright, I found this: VS2GBKIT667D2, should I return the ram I have now and order this?

EDIT3: Okay, I have decided, that if it is possible to find a new motherboard, than i'd rather do that. Would here be the appropraite place to ask if someone could help me find one that is compatible with everything seen on this wishlist? If you are able to, brand doesn't matter, and price doesn't much either, but please don't link me to any $500 motherboards, heh.

You guys seem to know what you are talking about more than anyone else i've talked to, so I really hope you can help me! Thanks guys.

You guys seem to know what you are talking about more than anyone else i've talked to, so I really hope you can help me![/quOTE]

With your parts I would personally choose either of these boards.

ASUS P5B-Deluxe
$196.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131028

Review:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=5

Or the Gigabyte 965P-S3
$124.99

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128017

Review:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2871&p=5

I have personally used all of these boards. My personal choice for price/performance is the Gigabyte 965P-S3.

All of these boards should be just fine with your system list.

Archived