Corsair Community

6400C4 800mhz motherboard recommendation

bandwidthjunkie

Here is my situation: I bought part to assemble a computer as a chrismas day project to get me away from general family fun. The site I got the components from (scan.co.uk) said that the mb I ordered was compatible with 800mhz ram, but as soon as I opened the box and read the manual it was clear that they had made a mistake on their site and the best it would do would be 533.

Anyway I now need to get a motherboard that will work with my ram. I have heard good things about asus, however their manual says that the P5 is a bit wierd with CL4 800 ram and there seem to be a lot of problems with this board mentioned on this site.

Please could someone recommend an INTEL pentium D board that will definitely work out of the box with this ram, ie no special tweeking the bios (the code on the sticks is cm2x512-6400c4: 512mb 800mhz 4-4-4-12). I am using this machine for number crunching so I don't need sli or xfire compatible or anything fancy. Also cheaper is gooder :)

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Please could someone recommend an INTEL pentium D board that will definitely work out of the box with this ram, ie no special tweeking the bios (the code on the sticks is cm2x512-6400c4: 512mb 800mhz 4-4-4-12). I am using this machine for number crunching so I don't need sli or xfire compatible or anything fancy. Also cheaper is gooder :)

The ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI will do all you need. It has an additional IDE channel so that you can use more than two IDE devices. Two SATA Ports are included for SATA Devices. Most new motherboards only have 1 IDE channel that only allows you to make use of two IDE devices.

This board is Core 2 ready so your upgrade path is there. It has integrated graphics that are certainly not enough for any heavy gaming but for light gaming or video/dvd and 2D graphics (Photoshop, etc) it is more than enough.

Price = $66.99USD

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/419/1/

1. Supports FSB 1066/800/533 MHz processor, EM64T CPU and H-T Technology

2. Supports Dual Channel DDRII667/533 x 4 DIMM slots with max. capacity up to 4GB

3. Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950, Pixel Shader 2.0, DirectX 9.0 and Max. shared memory 192MB

4. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, 1 x PCI Express x1 slot

5. Supports Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s

6. Dual VGA Output: support DVI-D and D-Sub ports with DVI Graphics-SI card by independent display controllers

7. Hybrid Booster - Safe Overclocking Technology

8. Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses

9. 4 x Serial ATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors

10. 7.1 CH Vista™ Premium level HD Audio (ALC888 Audio Codec)

11. Worldwide First Embedded MB with Vista™ Premium Logo

12. HD 8CH I/O: 4 ready-to-use USB ports, HD 7.1 channel audio jacks

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, however, from the specs you gave me it looks like that motherboard doesn't support 800mhz ram

>> Supports Dual Channel DDRII667/533 x 4 DIMM slots with max. capacity up to 4GB

From the little research I have done I had thought I needed an i965+ chipset to get support for DDRII 800 and it seems that CL4 ram is a bit problematic.

Any other suggestions?

I personally would go with the Gigabyte 965P-S3 motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128017

You are not going to find cheapo motherboards that support the 800MHz DRAM. You could use the one that I previously posted and upclock the processor and use the RAM headroom or spend more money and get a Tier 1 board that natively supports the 800MHz DRAM speed.

I have the DS3 version of this board and the only difference is the solid capacitors of the DS3 vs Liquid Capacitors of the S3.

I previously had the 6400C4's in this board without issue. They easily ran at 4 - 4 - 4 - 12.

I have a friend with the Biostar TForce 965PT

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/142265-biostar-tforce-965pt-results.html

Very nice results. You don't have to overclock but both these boards do allow for it.

As well, keep in mind that with the Pentium D, you will find minimal difference between 533 and 800Mhz DRAM speeds since the processor is running at half the 800Mhz DRAM anyway. 6400C4's were made for Conroe, not Pentium D processors.

If you are concerned with canned cache/memory subsystem benchmarks such as SuperPi you would notice a difference. But not in the real world of system use, and I would extend that if one was to load F.E.A.R. in this system with 533MHz DRAM vs 800MHz DRAM and the Pentium 3 processor then there would be minimal difference. Load a 20MB graphc and digitally render it in Photoshop and I believe the difference would be mimimal. Rip a DVD and convert it to AVI and again, I would say that the difference would not be great.

Thanks again for your quick response. I have looked at the manual for the GA-965P-DS3 board and in the notes concering ram it has the line

To use a DDRII 800/667 memory module on the motherboard, you must install a 1066/800 MHz FSB processor.

The pentium D (which is what I have) runs at 800mhz fsb. So does this mean that I can only get up to 667 with this board and a pentium D or does it mean that either D or Core 2 will work at this speed?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I didn't realise buying ram was so complicated!

EDIT: Ok I have now looked around some more and it seems like I need to get a Core 2 chip if I want to use my ram at full speed since it seems like I need a 1066MHz fsb to get the ram upto 800Mhz. So I am going to send the pentium D back and get a Core 2 and the MB that you recommend.

Thanks Derek.

You are very welcome. I would do exactly the same thing. :) Come back and post in the Enthusiast section if you want help in ramping the Core2 up a little.

I would purchase the E6300 Core2 and raise it to 2.8Ghz. No issues with this raise and you will have a very, very fast system.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now got hold of a Gigabyte 965P-S3 and a Core 2 Duo E6400 cpu, cheers for the tip Derek. Finally managed to get the thing built and with the help of quite a lot of sellotape the innards are fairly well arranged and all the buttons and lights on the case seem to do what I want them to do, which is great. The system booted on the first try (thank God) and I now have XP installed along with all the drivers.

Having bulit the machine I thought I would make a few comments:

1) The SilverStone TJ01B is a brilliant case for the money (£55), this is my second SS case and the build quality is fantastic. If you want a relatively compact case that is easy to build from then you can't go wrong with this.

2) The Silverstone 400w Silverpower SP-400P1B psu is good value but incredibly noisy, this is not a good bedroom psu.

3) Don't buy a northbridge heatsink until you get your board, my zalman nb cooler didn't fit.

The Extreme Spirit II works fine and costs about $20.00

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Ropey123/HPIM0092.jpg

If that PSU was included in the case, you may wish to sell it if you intend on overclocking that CPU. My 620HX is very silent.

That is a much better mount then I got, I had to blow the hot air directly into the Big Typhoon...

The Typhoon can surely take care of that hot air, and with the airflow of the BT you may find that your method removes the air even quicker than the way I have it.

I never thought of that. I will give it a try as I have to install some ramsinks on the BT base. :D:

I bought the PSU seperately, I have an enermax coolergiant (400 watts I think) on my other PC which is very quiet (and looks great), but it was well over twice the price. The SilverStone psu has a nice design, the entire base is a fan and the quality of the build is quite good; it is very well priced and so the compromise is that it's a bit noisey. I am putting this machine in a noisey office under my desk, so the volume is fairly unimportant. However, it does make it apparent to me (not for the first time) that cheap computer compnents are cheap for a reason. In my (limited) experience of building computers cheap components are a false economy. On my first build I scrimped on the case and low and behold I had to abandon the build and buy a good silverstone case after fitting everything but the fdd and the dvd drives; at this point it became impossible to fit them into the case.

It's a bit crazy really, I can go out and spend £30 on drinks in an evening, but then I will baulk at an extra £10 on a computer comonent that I know that I will abuse for a good two years or more. Oh well, hopefully I shall get wiser as I get older. Right now I am looking forward to clocking that cpu as far as it will go :)

*UPDATE* This board (ga965p-(D)S3) is not very linux friendly due to the Marvell Yukon lan port. It uses the new experimental Sky2 driver for linux, and there are some bugs with this driver (hopefully they are nearly sorted out now)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=289673

http://developer.osdl.org/shemminger/blog/?p=34

http://www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/165492/page/1

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-487018.html

Gentoo now seems to be ok as of a recent kernel in terms of functionallity. However before the lan is switched on, or after it is shut down (ie boot up and shutdown) I get flooded with warning messages. Gentoo works because you basically build the system from the ground up (it is a long and fairly tedious process), linux flavours that use an installer generally have older kernels and being automated are more fussy about errors. I am not sure how easy it would be to install one of these.

One of the pluses to open source code is that drivers can be more easily written to the kernel. Very likely since you have a built from the ground up source you will find a driver out there for the lan support.

Well I am no expert on linux, but I have read around a little and it seems that Sky2 is the only driver for this lan, there is an older dirver that may work, but it has been depricated and will soon be phased out. This seems to be a common problem on a lot of forums and there is as yet no good solution that I have found.

You can always Disable the on board LAN and just get a LAN card that works with the O.S. you want to use, 3Com or Intel seem to be their favorite brands..

Yeah, that is true. Due to some difficulties with windows not liking the partitioning table that I have set up (two bootable partitions on the same disk - not a problem I have had on my other dual boot machines) I have not done any stress testing on Linux to see if the problem is cosmetic, or actually affects the functionality/performance. However, if it does turn out to cause problems then this would be a good solution. Cheers.

*EDIT* have just checked my partitioning scheme on my home pc which dual boots fine and it looks like windows allows a second active partition inside an extended partition. Will give this a try.

I dont think that will work but let us know!

Yes that was the problem, the second active partition (ie the linux boot partition) needs to be sitting inside an extended partition. Windows no longer throws an invalid partition table error on boot and the machine happily dual boots now. In fact even the lan error that I was getting during install seems to had disappeared now.

Archived