Corsair Community

Ongoing RAM Problem

MTBackus

I purchased a set of the CMX512-3200C2PT (XMS3202v5.1) (in includes 2 sticks of 512mb RAM) this past summer and when I first put it in my system it worked great. I then decided to play a game which lead to an instant restart of my computer. Whenever I would try to open that game it would restart instantly no matter what. I troubleshooted the problem and finally ended up flashing my BIOS to the latest version which fixed the problem until now. I've had my computer working great since, oh, about the beginning of August and it has been running faster than ever with this RAM. Now to actually explain the problem I have currently and why I believe I have faulty RAM.

This morning I woke up and decided to browse teh internets and other such stuff. I wanted to listen to some music so I opened up iTunes, but it wouldn't actually open. I thought I would just restart my system because I might have had some sort of update that needed to be installed and maybe iTunes would work after a reboot. I rebooted my system and it wouldn't post. It was stuck on CPU recognize (I can tell by the LED lights on my MOBO). I currently do not have access to other RAM, but I will soon once I see my cousin. I decided to take one of the sticks out and boot up - no post. I then tried the other stick - it posted. So I thought, hey great my computer isn't COMPLETELY non-functional. Wrong. It started acting weird, it wouldn't boot into Windows, and by the way I have to use a boot disk to boot into Windows because of some weird NTLDR problem. It wouldn't read my floppy disk it would just show weird symbols. I even tried a different floppy disk, but still nothing. I've tried setting my BIOS to defaults, that didn't do anything. Now I am stuck, all it says when it finishes detecting my system is, "Detecting array..." I have no idea on what to do next other than wait until I can test my computer with other RAM. If anyone has any recommendations or anything that can help, I would love to hear them. I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks in advance.

An update to my problem... Now when I start my computer up it detects all my parts, but instead of proceeding to boot into windows it just hangs and then eventually restarts. Once again, I will try to verify that it is a RAM problem, but I'm leaning towards that it is a RAM problem.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived