Corsair Community

Motherboard Suggestion Help - Corsair PC2-6400 CAS4

Jeffreymouse

Hello and thanks for your suggestions ahead of time. I am glad this community exists. The short version- What Motherboard should I buy?

The long version - I am planning to build a new system in January with the following criteria: 1)Total stability. 2)Outstanding performance for multimedia (photoshop, music, some video) and 3)100% Vista/Direct-X 10 compatibility and 4)Quiet, quiet, quiet! I do not play games.

I plan on buying an Intel Conroe E6700 and an 8800GTS Video Card. I have purchased the following memory (quick aside: Someone please simplify the naming schemes of all this memory! I can barely identify my sticks at the Corsair site!) Anyhoooo, my memory is (from the labels) 2 sticks in a containor with CM2X1024-6400C4D written on each one. These are Dominators. Are they Twin-x? I don't know. I have read numerous horror stories about the wrong voltage being applied to these(?) 2.2 volt sticks requiring OTHER memory to start the board, etc.

I do not, never will, will not, don't want to overclock, ever. Not interested. I just want a great, stable system that will take full advantage of this memory and the e6700 and 1 8800 GTS. My initial thoughts are the ASUS P5B deluxe or wait for the NForce 650 Ultra. Which board will build simply and fire up without problems with these criteria. Sorry for the long-winded post. Thanks.

For your products I would go with the P5B-E Deluxe motherboard. I have found that the "issue rate" with Nvidia based Intel CPU boards is far higher than Intel based chipsets for their CPU's.

I have tested 6400C4's, Value 667, 8500C5's with the above board with success on all 2GB kits. The value was not a kit, single strips applied as a kit.

Thanks Derek for the suggestion. My somewhat constant browsing yields the same result: The Nforce boards are not friendly. They have a host of issues. I will look into the P5B Deluxe seriously. Does anyone know if this board will boot up with 2.2volt memory sticks (The ones I have)? Before the bios is set to 2.2? Thanks.

Okay first, Ramguy, you are a treasure. Thank you for the timely information. I am about to pull the trigger on a P5B. Now that I've kissed up I have 3 quick noob questions about your response.

1) How do I clear the BIOS? Is there a button on the board?

2) Do I load the setup defaults on first boot once the dominators are installed? Is this under the memory menu?

3) Can you clarify what the tested settings are? I assume you mean 4-4-4-12 at 800mhz. Does this interfere with the setup defaults (to set the timing and speed)?

Thanks again.

...but I have one last concern about the P5B. I quote (from the specifications for this board):

Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets

Can anyone verify that my PC2-6400's will work? Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets

That is for Intel Boxed I965 MB's not the MB you have, just please do what I suggested and you should be fine!

Archived