Corsair Community

EVGA i680 vs. ASUS Striker Extreme, whats best and what memory modules?

Lord Chaos

There are many issues with both of these boards. I am on many different hardware enthusiast based web forums and have to warn you that you are taking your chances with Nvidia based boards.

Many issues remain with these non-mature technologies. I personally would not advise you to go with either. The only reason to go with these boards is for the SLi and at this moment with graphics refreshes quarterly there is only one reason to purchase two 8800GTX cards and that is to gain 2048 X 1536 with full eye candy. Even 1600 X 1200 can be handled by the 8800GTX's in single mode.

The only reason to go with these boards is for the SLi and at this moment with graphics refreshes quarterly there is only one reason to purchase two 8800GTX cards and that is to gain 2048 X 1536 with full eye candy. Even 1600 X 1200 can be handled by the 8800GTX's in single mode.

I have a quad core and (2) 8800 GTX. Currently using one of them in a different setup while waiting on the Asus Striker Extreme MB.

For me, I am playing games in 2560 x 1600, using the Dell 30 inch monitor. I absolutely love it. I am going to use (2) cards because I want to be able to run this resolution without having any worries whatsoever.

Its too bad all of this corsair memory is never in stock anywhere, it really sucks they can't keep up the supply. I've literally not had this system going for one reason, the dominator memory is so damn backordered and never seems to be in stock anywhere... One person might get it in and then they gouge you for it.... very annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

What Kind of answer is that? :confused:

Yep, we've read the reviews, we know that some nvidia boards are bad but as enthusiasts we are willing to take a chance. I am waiting for my asus striker extreme to come in and I don't know whether the 8888C4DF or the 9136C5D dominator is the better choice? I might overclock a little bit but mostly I just buy the fastest going at the time and leave it stock standard.

Corsair website says the 9136C5D is made for the nvidia 680i boards but couldn't I just overclock a set of 8888C4DF to 1142mhz and get the benefit of CL4 timings as well? Also ******** have got a nifty set of ddr2 memory modules the ******** DDR2 PC2-9200 FlexXLC Edition, you can use water or air cooling . Will corsair be bringing out something similiar? If you guys do decide it's a great thing please keep it all copper as aluminium causes problems with copper cooling systems. Thanx regards Ed. (Melbourne. Australia):):

• Corsair Employees

That was an answer for this post! ed12371

Its too bad all of this corsair memory is never in stock anywhere, it really sucks they can't keep up the supply. I've literally not had this system going for one reason, the dominator memory is so damn backordered and never seems to be in stock anywhere... One person might get it in and then they gouge you for it.... very annoying.

I would suggest starting your own thread and ask your questions!

And I am sorry I dont undertsand what you are asking specificly!

I have just purchased an ASUS Striker Extreme MOBO, QX6700 quad core, Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF, Thermaltake Tough Power 650W PSU, and an ASUS GeForce 8800GTX. I haven't purchased memory yet, because all the high end Dominator memory is on backorder. My question is, which Dominator modules will work best for this setup, the TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF or the TWIN2X2048-9136C5D? It seems to me that logic would dictate that the 9136's would be faster, but if this is the case, why are the 8888's so much more expensive?

I don't care about cost, I'm just looking for the best performing memory for my new system. The numbering structure versus the pricing structure is confusing at the moment, so I need some information on this by the time the memory is back in stock. Thanks for your time.

What Kind of answer is that? :confused:

Yep, we've read the reviews, we know that some nvidia boards are bad but as enthusiasts we are willing to take a chance.

Yes, it would seem that you have read the reviews and know that there are many more issues with these boards than with their Intel brethren. It would also seem that you do not mind the possibilities of issues and their greater degree with these boards. That is fine.

However, many others might not have read the reviews and now after reading my post might well check these reviews and decide that the possibility of issues is just too high.

One can never be too informed. Yes, you might not want to hear this and certainly I was posting to inform Lord Chaos to better research. That has been done. This member asked what people thought and I gave him my view. Just because you are willing to take the chance does not mean that everyone is willing and my warning will serve to have other research before making their choice.

It seems to me that logic would dictate that the 9136's would be faster, but if this is the case, why are the 8888's so much more expensive?.

I wonder this myself.

Well, I put in an order for some 9136's, as I finally found some in stock, and ASUS recently released a new BIOS for the Striker Extreme which enhances performance for the 9136's. As soon as I get the memory, and get the system up and running, I'll post the results I get from this combo.

Now I have one other question... I see that the recommended voltage for the 9136's is 2.1v, but I also bought the Dominator airflow fan with the memory. So, if a person is using the optional airflow fan with these modules, what are the safe limits, voltage wise, with the additional cooling? Thanks.

Asus Striker/P5N32-E SLI (if you take the sticker off this board it says Striker under it), are probably in my top 3 for boards every concieved.

I don't know exactly what problems DerekT speaks of, but I can say having used the reference board for approximately 2 months then switching to the Striker a couple of weeks ago, you can not find a better board for C2D right now. The eVGA board supposedly killed a couple of sticks of ram, but this has never been necessarily proven to be correct.

These boards are however incredibly hard to fine-tune, finding optimals settings will take at least 2 weeks, probably more (Lanparty Expert anyone?). You will however when you are done have a board that is completely stable and quite fast (my tuned Striker will beat my 975x because of better memory support).

The problems that you are seeing are for people that are inexperienced at correctly setting up a new board, with a new chipset.

9136's and the Striker will be a deadly combo. They are also rated to 2.2v according to the .pdf.

Cheers!

I don't know exactly what problems DerekT speaks of, but I can say having used the reference board for approximately 2 months then switching to the Striker a couple of weeks ago, you can not find a better board for C2D right now. The eVGA board supposedly killed a couple of sticks of ram, but this has never been necessarily proven to be correct.

The problems are highly documented on overclocker forums. Basically what i am saying is that the incidence of return/rma/issues is higher for this as yet mature chipset/platform. Yes, there are those who find no issues, of course this is the case or there would be a board recall.

For those who want less problem possibilities I recommend Intel chipsets for Intel CPU's. The 680i will in fact be a fine board when it matures and a new revision is released to deal with the plethora of issues that are at this time a possibility on these boards.

Data Corruption issue still remains, although BIOS updates have dealt with some of the problems.

Nvidia “Patches” Serial ATA Issue For the Third Time.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI0NywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20061222124554.html

More Issues:

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=8&t=17658

http://www.nforcershq.com/article7229.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20061217121610.html

http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35841/

I could go on for pages. Try http://www.overclockers.com - http://www.ocforums.com - http://www.xtremesystems.org etc. to research these and many more issues.

I am not saying that this is a bad chipset. On the contrary. With a new "revision" that fixes many of these fundamental issues in hardware rather than BIOS workarounds it will very likely show this to be a very fine and workable board.

At this time, there can be a multitude of issues arising with new builds and this board in comparison to new builds and an i965 based board.

I believe you mean i965, and if you want to say that that board doesn't have any problems you are blind. There are multiple posts on XS of 100 pages or more of people who have problems with p5b and ds3 (the main 965p boards).

People choose to look at the raid failure (on the reference board, striker/p5n do not suffer from this as it is a custom bios). The corruption only occurs when the board straps down on the memory above 1100 mhz and using an incredibly low fsb. If that is what people want to do more power to them, but you are overclocking your motherboard when you are running default FSB and trying to get 1200 mhz on your ram. That is just not a good idea. Same things happen on the 965, but instead of booting and giving you a raid failure, the board simply doesn't boot :).

680i is a little lieniant in letting you set setting that you know are going to fail, most people have this theory that "my board can boot it, why isn't it stable." If you own both boards you can test both, until then there are more people than not that arn't experiencing any problems.

Also there isn't going to be a revision of the 680i as fundamently there are no problems. Revision 2 includes support for DDR3.

All boards have issues. My view is that there are at this time more issues per capita with 680i than i965. You seem to think not, so we can just agree to disagree.

Also there isn't going to be a revision of the 680i as fundamently there are no problems. Revision 2 includes support for DDR3.

You say in one sentence that there is not to be a revision and then in the other sentence you give a revision. You speak as though you are a rep for Nvidia since you have working knowledge of their revision releases before they release?

Are you an Nvidia Rep who is not liking my advice regarding your boards?

Revision 2 is for DDR3. Revision 1 is DDR2. They are simply different Northbridges.

I do not work for Nvidia, and if I did your opinion would matter very little, they are still selling out of their $110 NB/SB regardless of what issues.

Where are the problems with the Striker/P5N32-E. I have yet to see a post about them.

You guys are great:D:

A good sporting debate on who's got the biggest, badest mobo.:D:

I've got a smoking problem, but they brought out a patch for that.:laughing:

My maths teacher made me do revisions, She had only one eye but she got a patch for that too!:laughing:

OOh How the ego loves to be right.

Tell you the truth, very rarely have I had a computer that ran totally free from a problem or two, but I still love'em.

I'm getting the striker board and if it's got a problem I'll get the retailer to send it back and get me a new one.

Keep up the great work you two, we really appreciate it.

Regards Ed.

I don't think you can have a view, unless you own the product. Of all the products talked about, I actually have owned and tested them so I can make an accurate judgement.

Everything you have is heresay.

Maybe I am the fool here but I thought empirical evidence always beat words.

I have worked on these boards, and no I have never purchased one. This is due to the problems I have worked on in order to create a functional system for those who desired these boards. I have sent back more of these boards than i965.

That being said, your logic does not follow. You say that I need to own the car to learn to drive it? No, I just have to drive the car to learn how to use it correctly. Do you actually believe that I need to own it to have a say in the issues that arise?

I do not believe that you actually think this to be the case. Do you think that owning the hardware gives you the only empirical evidence?

Can you not just agree to disagree? This is good. You counterbalance my view and more information is always a good thing. I value your opinion and help here and no, I do not have to agree with you on all of your views to value you. Hopefully you can allow the same.

You have good knowledge and have helped me with the dram issue wherein I thanked you for your help.

Please do not take my view as a blanket statement on either you or your knowledge. That is most definitely not the case.

Take one tooth and some length and that's what we have here.

IT'S GETTING A BIT LONG IN THE TOOTH NOW GUYS!

There could be a plethora of reasons why people are having issues with this board. One would think that being marketed as an overclockers board, every tom dick and harry would be trying all sorts of crazy stuff on these boards and that could be the cause of alot of the problems also one could conclude that being a new board there might be some ironing out to be done.

Two things is for sure, unless someone has has worked on alot of the same boards (100 or more) and or owned one, it's a bit "full on" to run around screaming the sky is falling and openly bag a particular board. Secondly, one doesn't have to own something to have an opinion on it.

Case settled, you're both right and your both wrong. Now shake hands and go home.

Archived