Corsair Community

Aftermarket Heatspreaders

nytevizion

Would installing aftermarket heatspreaders on your value select DDR2 memory void the warranty? I know that the heat spreaders are mostly for show, but they also protect the memory and make them easier to handle. It would require that the sticker be removed from a couple of the chips in order to use the heat transfer tape.

Actually, the heatspreader are made by you.

The label is actually on the chips, I could attach the heat tape to the label, but I figure that if they ever were removed it would probably stick to the label and destroy it... I don't ever plan on removing the spreaders, but if they happen to blow out and go bad, you guys probably would.

What do ya think? Just don't put the heat tape in that area? Or just tape to it? I don't want to NOT attach the tape to the chips in those areas fearing that without the transfer of heat to the spreader, I would just be closing the chips off to any air flow. Or does it even matter. They are being overclocked, in fact they are stock PC2-5300's working at PC2-7800 speeds with total stability. It clocks higher than the XMS2-6400's I have. How did that happen?

Anyway. What about moving the label to the outside of the heatspreader? It looks fairly easy to remove.. Is it because the label gets lost? Or is it just because they MUST be stuck to the module in the original place from the factory?

• Corsair Employees
If you remove the lable it will void the warranty is all I can tell you. And if they should fail you should send them in with the H/S attached so the warranty is not void. So I would test the modules before you add the H/S!

Oh they work just fine, memtest86 stable accross the board... It's possible but I highly doubt they will just suddenly fail...Im just curious... So I will just install over the label...

If you think about it, it is a bit silly that the label means the difference between yes or no... It does of course say Corsair on the IC's themselves.

Thanks.

Archived