Corsair Community

Asus P5n32-e SLI + TWIN2X2048-6400C4 PRO

hmboy

Hi guys.

I've recently placed an order for the following online:

Asus p5n32-E SLI motherboard

2GB DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 PRO (2x XMS2 1GB)

The QVL (qualified vendor list) states that the only corsair 800mhz memory supported is

"1024MB CORSAIR CM2X1024-6400C4"

I presume that my "twin2x2048-6400c4 pro" is simply two sticks of "CM2X1024-6400C4"? with the "PRO" leds/heatspreader on top, which shouldnt affect whether it works or not.

Apparently according to asus the "CM2X1024-6400C4" Works only in single or dual channel, but not 4 sticks for double dual channel.

Thanks.

I hope so because I ordered my board and RAM (which is exactly as you described) about a week ago and expect to pick up my RAM today (picked up and mounted the board/CPU/Vid card on Wed). I'll post whatever happens with mine once I've had a bit of time to play with. I'm praying that I'll be posting "mine is working great!" instead of "Ram Guy and anyone else out there! Please help!". =p

There are LOT of problems floating around with the board. Google it and check out the HardOCP, Xtreme Systems etc threads. Some of the posts seem they may be user error but there are a lot of respected tech people having issues as well. Here's to some luck and care in setting it up!

The board itself is well laid out and very sturdy imo. I'm less than thrilled with the sound card thing but I wasn't planning on keeping it anyway.

I have tried this memory in same motherboard it worked fine. Bios version @ time was 0202

0302 worked fine with same memory mentioned in post.

I now run the DDR2 8500 Dominator product this memory would not report properly @ rated speed until I flashed to bios 0405

Please ensure you are running latest bios for the stated board use one stick to update bios once bios updated retry two sticks. Make sure you do not enable SLI Ready setting in bios unless off course you are using SLI...

Please see Asus site for information on how to update you Motherboard bios.

• Corsair Employees
I presume that my "twin2x2048-6400c4 pro" is simply two sticks of "CM2X1024-6400C4"? with the "PRO" leds/heatspreader on top, which shouldnt affect whether it works or not.

Apparently according to asus the "CM2X1024-6400C4" Works only in single or dual channel, but not 4 sticks for double dual channel.

Yes and Yes thats correct you will not get any memory to run 4 modules on this MB at 800 Mhz. I would suggest DDR667 if you plan on uisng 4 modules!

Hi RAM Guy :)

I recently (October) purchased a new system. The specs are in my profile, but here's the basic info:

Mobo: ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (Corsair's "Configurator" doesn't seem to have this exact model listed, btw)

CPU: Intel C2D E6600 2.4Ghz

RAM: Corsair CM2X1024-6400

VIDEO: Nvidia 7950GX2

I guess I quality as a "computer dummy" as my questions/problem are gonna be real basic and down-and-dirty (like what slot does the RAM go in!)

After having problems with an application I followed the advice of another user and obtained Memtest86+, which revealed I had a bad stick of RAM (generated 200-300 errors at a specific memory address). Isolating the bad stick, I RMA'd it and received a new one a few weeks later.

Now, my brain's memory might be suspect: I am almost certain that the 2nd stick of memory belongs in slot B1. The first stick has always resided in A1. I would assume these are the correct slots for dual-channel configuration. (unfortunately, even the "Memory Basics" presentation doesn't get this basic -_- ).

Upon installing the second stick of 1GB RAM into slot B1, the computer fails to boot:

1. Video signal is completely lost

2. No POST or beeps of any kind (single beep or multiple indicating errors).

I've checked & removed/reinstalled the memory several times and this is always the result.

On the chance I am completely wrong & the stick does not go into B1, I installed the 2nd stick into slot A2, alongside the original good Corsair memory. The system now boots fine, I have 2GB of memory, and Memtest reveals no errors at all with the RAM. However, it looks like, according to Memtest, that I'm now running in single channel mode (which I understand is much less efficient/performance boosting than dual channel).

Am I wrong about the 2nd stick belonging in B1? Is there BIOS settings fouling me up when I try to do this and run in dual channel? Is there a real good "RAM for DUMMIES" link I should be groveling over?

Any help is appreciated; I am, or was, a PC techie, but its been 10 years and I'm far behind the curve on the latest technology.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them both replaced. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum! And let them know about your last RMA and that you only sent one of the modules and now you are having a problem getting them to run together!

I don't believe the problem is Corsair's RAM, but I can certainly RMA both; listen to this, however:

I've been reading through the forums concerning posts from other P5N32-SLI owners, and similar systems, and was trying a few of the simpler things suggested, such as switching to A2-B2 slots. This failed also, no post, same problem as before. However - and there was no way in hell I thought this was gonna work, but it was a configuration I hadn't tried- I put one stick in A1, and the second stick in B2.

Now, not only does the computer boot fine, but Memtest also reports its running properly in Dual Channel (128 bit ) mode!

Is this weird or what! What is going on? LOL. I finally got through to the retailer's tech support and they were as dumbfounded as I. They suggested, prior to the radical step of RMA'ing the entire unit (for a mobo replacement), putting memory in A2-B1 and seeing if this also worked (if it does it assures me I can upgrade to 4GB of memory in the future, despite this weirdness).

I'm gonna try that & see what happens. By the way, I understand if the Corsair memory is not bad (and I don't think they are, when I got past POST I ran lengthy Memtests on them and not one error occurred) its kinda, if not outside your purview, perhaps outside your concerns; just wanted to voice my appreciation for your help irregardless of what's at fault, here. :)

One thing I've noticed is the timings are a bit off, the system reporting 5-5-5-18 2T while the specs printed on the RAM itself is 5-5-5-12; its always been this way (since I recieved my computer) and I don't believe (?) its of concern? I'll have to do my research on timings and latencies and see if it is.

Lastly, I'll also run Memtest86+ overnight to really, throughly, test and perhaps exonerate the two CM2x1024-6400 sticks.

Archived