Corsair Community

Is my PSU DOA?

oblivionlord

I have a CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX that I purchased from newegg a few days ago. I took it out of the box and connected the 20+4-pin ATX to my mobo (which my mobo only has 20) and the 4-pin +12V cable. I have nothing connected to my mobo at all except just these 2 cables from the PSU and 1 simple fan that I use to "watch" it power up outside from the fan inside the PSU. The mobo is an Asus P4p800-Deluxe and it has a small green led that lights on when the mobo is turned on. I have 3 other PSUs that when they are connected to this mobo in the exact same fashion, the fan on each PSU and the fan connected to the mobo turn on. When I turn on the Corsair PSU, nothing turns on at all! Not the fan inside the PSU nor the fan connected to the mobo. The other 3 PSUs are 20pin ATX compatible except the only difference besides the amount of power and design is the "8-pin EPS12V" connection that the Corsair uses. The manual says that you don't need it connected in order for things to work properly which I don't obviously because the mobo I'm using hasn't the connection for it.

I seriously don't think that the EPS12v connector is at all any reason as to why it would not be working properly therefore I am just double checking by asking if my PSU is DOA?

If it sounds like it is DOA then what steps should I take to remedy this? Thanks

You can disconnect it from your motherboard, just connect a fan or two, and then short out the green wire with any black wire on the 24-pin connector.

This should cause the fans to power up. If not, there's a problem with the PSU.

Also, always remember to double-check your power-cable connection and make sure it's not loose in the back of the PSU.

PLUR

CK

I just now connected it into my friends "modern" pc which is an AM2 and a 24 pin connector on the mobo. When connected with all 24 pins and the P4 cable only it still didn't power up the system.

I'm seriously thinking that it is bad. Should I take it back to Newegg for an exchange or Corsair?

Archived