Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4 and Asus P5B Deluxe - Will it work?

gunslinger95

I order parts for a new rig from newegg.com this week and selected this mobo and memory combo. Did I make a dreadful mistake, even though both Corsair and Asus claim they work???

I've been reading story after story of people having problems with this Asus board. Has anyone here sucessfully used this combination in their box? How did you do it? Dual or single channel? What memory settings?

I haven't built a machine in about 3 years and I'm getting ready to start by this weekend... Thanks in advance.

Thanks Ram Guy. I also picked out an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 which according to the specs has a FSB speed of 1066MHz. So I should just use the settings from your "What are the correct timings for My Module?" for this memory? According to your sheet they are:

Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-6400C4:

Twin2x2048-6400C4 Data Sheet

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5WD2 or M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

Performance Mode: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If it's Listed)

Command Rate: 2T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

CPU Core Voltage: Auto

FSB Termination V: 1.50 V

MCH Chipset V: 1.65V

ICH Chipset V: 1.20V

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

Is this correct? Thanks in advance...

Howdy, I have been trying to get this ram to work in a GA-965P-DS3 mobo with a E6600 and the frequency at 266. If I follow these timings, I get BSOD's and reboots. If I change to 5-5-5-18 it works fine. Any suggestions is appreciated to what I may be doing wrong? Maybe I need to run at frequency at 667? Thanks RamGuy!!!

Regards,

Deliverer

Howdy, I have been trying to get this ram to work in a GA-965P-DS3 mobo with a E6600 and the frequency at 266. If I follow these timings, I get BSOD's and reboots. If I change to 5-5-5-18 it works fine. Any suggestions is appreciated to what I may be doing wrong? Maybe I need to run at frequency at 667? Thanks RamGuy!!!

I have this system although I have an E6400. If you set your Vdimm (Dimm Overvoltage Control) to 2.1v (+.3) you should be able to run at 800Mhz. Set your FSB to 266 and your System Memory Multiplier to 3.0. Memory Performance Enhance to Normal.

I have done that already and it didn't seem to work. I also tried 667 on the freq and it didn't work. The memory timings page does not mention anything about the following settings and I have them set to Auto. Maybe one of these need adjustments?

ACT to ACT Delay

Bank Write to Read Delay

Refresh to Act Delay

Read to Precharge Delay

Thanks for any help supplied.

Regards,

Deliverer

Maybe one of these need adjustments?

ACT to ACT Delay

Bank Write to Read Delay

Refresh to Act Delay

Read to Precharge Delay

No, these can be set to auto. If you have set the dram to 800MHz and the timings manually to 4 -4 - 4 - 12 with 2.1 Vdimm, then test with memtest.

http://www.memtest.org

Burn an image of this ISO and boot to cd with the above settings. Allow for 2 runs. Any errors?

I'm on three tests now without errors. I will continue to let it run. Also, I thought I would add this is a new machine. I was able to install windows with the previous memory settings mentioned: 5-5-5-18, but I still had issues, after being inside Windows and running programs.

Any thoughts of what it might be at this point? I verified my motherboard bios, F7, is the most current for my mobo.

Regards,

Deliverer

If you pass memtest at 4 - 4 - 4 - 12 I wonder if you were running at 2.1v when you had the issues. Try re-installing your OS now. If there are still issues, then can you document the BSOD's. What are the STOP error codes?

Just install windows and your drivers. Enter here and set your entire system down for trouble-shooting purposes.

Be certain to install the drivers for video, etc from the manufacturers site.

You don't get a STOP event? There should be a sequence such as:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 
is at the top 

Technical information: 

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (ox20000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF6EA8BBF) 

*** USBPORT.SYS - Address F6EA8BBF base at F6E8F000, DateStamp 3f04cf17 

Are you using the stock Intel cooler? Did you install it yourself? Have you ever installed a stock LGA 775 Intel cooler before? What does the BIOS give you for temps? If you are gettting this code withoiut a stop event I wonder if your CPU is not installed correctly. The LGA 775 needs to have all four pins pushed down very hard. I mean VERY HARD otherwise you will have overheating issues.

I didn't record that even info below, I will try again and see what comes up. I have a Zallman 9700. Temperature in the Bios is at 29-30 C. Well this is my first 775 install. I can try to reseat the CPU.

Here is the latest error on install.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

STOP: 0x000000C2 ....

---

Same issues after reseating everything. Calling it a night and will let memtest run throughout the night.

This issue could be your video ram/L2 cache ram of your cpu, a faulty motherboard, faulty psu, etc.

In such a case I create a test bed for analysis. You will not be able to do this however unless you have another working motherboard, Core2 CPU, DRAM, Video Card.

It then becomes a case of remove the motherboard and install all the parts into that board and test for the issues. If the issues do not occur, then the issue was the motherboard. All other parts are treated in the same manner.

What parts do you have around?

Well I put a new mobo in and it seems to be working with the old memory. Any suggestions on a program I can run inside windows to stress it all night? Again, I really appreciate the time Derek T that you have taken to walk me through this excercise.

Regards,

Deliverer

Well I put a new mobo in and it seems to be working with the old memory. Any suggestions on a program I can run inside windows to stress it all night? Again, I really appreciate the time Derek T that you have taken to walk me through this excercise.

Regards,

Deliverer

Intel Thermal Analysis Tool

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392

Orthos Dual Prime95

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/orthos_exe_20060420.cab

Use tat to keep an eye on your thermals and Orthos to stress your CPU and ram.

Turn off your Screensaver and Screenblanker. Set the system so it does not standby and run these programs.

You're very welcome. That's what we are here for at Corsair :)

Archived