Corsair Community

Asus P5B + CM2X1024 -6400 problem

met

Hi,

I have purchased a pair of CM2X1024 -6400 for my new MB, an Asus P5B.

After i start my pc, the MB beeps (1 long, 3 short) and for AMI bios, this is a memory problem.

I have placed my modules in first and third slot on the MB (yellow slot).

http://www.asus.com/999/images/products/1178/1178_l.jpg

What wrong? Is possible that my modules are broken?

Thanks in advance for reply.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I can't make this changes because my pc don't start.

P.S. i have tried also to install only one module but i receive the same error.

I've got the same problem... 1 long beep then 3 short beeps.... tried removing the ram and testing all the diferent combinations of slots and dimms and nothing... same beeps... 2 memorys damaged or something else??

Happy Chrystmas from Argentina!

Edit: my pc:

-E6300@2.8

-Asus P5B DH Deluxe

-Ati x1900xt

-Topower 520w

-2 gb Corsair XMS 800 mhz.

All stock except cpu

• Corsair Employees
It would be unlikely you have all have failing modules I would suspect some other issue especially if the system will not post with one module at a time. I would suggest trying other memory and or another CPU and see if you can get the system to post and then update to the latest bios and see if that will resolve the problem.

Turns out the CM2X1024-6400C4 is not compatible with Asus P5B Deluxe - only the CM2X1024-6400, although the only difference seems to be the timings.

Could I just reduce the timings and be happy?

Btw I have the updated to the latest BIOS version. Didn't make a difference. Actually I get past post less now.

But RAM-guy :(

My BIOS is version 8020 or something, the latest anyway.

My CPU speeds are at stock speeds, which is:

FSB 266,2MHz

With a x 9 multiplier

which gives ~2395MHz

Now I tried with the ram I thought was faulty and it booted with it ! But it didn't boot with both. And then it didn't boot at all. And then it booted again. And now I'm pretty stable with the ram I thought to be faulty.

Edit: And nothing is "fiddled" with in BIOS since it reset after the update.

I just looked in CPU-Z and it says this about the one moduel i have in:

Freq: 399,9MHz

FSB:DRAM: 2:3

Timings 5-5-5-18

Shouldn't it be more like:

800Mhz

1:1

4-4-4-12?

That actually worked very well! Now I got past POST and it loaded winxp but then it froze. (This was with BOTH modules!)

So it might be something with the voltage? I don't know. I set them to the speeds listed in the link in your sig. But I couldn't find MCH vcore in BIOS. Could that be called anything else in my AMI bios? Or located somewhere else than the other things.

Thanks SO much for the help so far :)

Should I set the divider to something else than 2:3?

It's not the DRAM voltage I was looking for... It was one of the other things listed in the list in your sig.

This one:

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

Performance Mode: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If it's Listed)

Command Rate: 2T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

CPU Core Voltage: Auto

FSB Termination V: 1.50 V

MCH Chipset V: 1.65V

ICH Chipset V: 1.20V

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

I couldn't find "MCH Chipset V" and "CPU External Frequency" although it looked like the CPUEF was the same as CPU freq.

But dude, I'm pretty sure my TWIN2X2048-6400C4 aren't compatible with the Asus P5B Deluxe.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/868/ramch4.jpg

Look, my mobo isn't there. The TWIN2X2048-6400C4D looks to be compatible but not the ones without the D.

• Corsair Employees

These modules are tested on an M2N32-SLI MB and these settings reflect that MB's bios and are there for reference.

But with the MB you have the only settings you need to set would be the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and the timings:

Performance Mode: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If it's Listed)

Command Rate: 2T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

Didn't work. :confused:

And now I need a password to enter BIOS. Weird. And I'm too lazy to reset CMOS. I think I'm gonna RMA the Motherboard. Something tells me this ain't gonna work. And I think the the ram are okay.

• Corsair Employees
I have no problem replacing the Modules, but if you did not set the password I would contact the MB maker and ask if they can help you get a new Bios chip and you need to check the disks you have been using for a Virus!

I took my pc to some tech-guys I know and we tried with another graphics card, another psu, only 1 hdd and various other things, we came to the conclusion that either the mobo or the ram are defect/flawed.

So I'm gonna return both the ram and the motherboard to the seller. And then I'll make them make it work. :)

Thanks for all ramguy! (I don't wanna rma to you guys since I live in Denmark and I'm impatient! ;))

Archived