Corsair Community

Possibly 2 bad VS 512MB..

heanol

Hi

I bought a computer a few years ago with 2x corsair value select 512MB pc3200 sticks. This summer it started acting weird and i stopped using it, now i decided to try and fix it and ran memtest86 which confirmed that one of the sticks was indeed bad, so i took it out. Ran memtest86 without it for an hour or two without problems. But when i tried to use the computer later it would just freeze randomly, guessing it was the remaining stick of ram, i tried to move it to another slot and after that the computer will not start. After about 10 seconds after pressing the power button it just shuts down. No beeping. I have tried moving the ram back to its original spot but no go.

Are both sticks bad? Is it covered under warranty?

Regards,

Henrik

• Corsair Employees
That would suggest some other problem, can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

That would suggest some other problem, can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The motherboard is a MSI K8N Neo Platinum with an Athlon64 2800+ CPU. Since the machine doesn't even boot anymore i cannot verify it, but the bios settings and fsb should be default.

• Corsair Employees
Please see if a friend can help you test the modules one at a time in another system to be sure, but it would be close to impossible for 2 modules to fail at the same time and it not be caused by some other problem!

Archived