Corsair Community

bad twinx1024-4400c25pt

hitheresi

I'd like to get an RMA because I'm pretty sure one of these two sticks is bad. I can't seem to pinpoint the stick because the memtest errors don't happen unless they're both in and in dual channel. I didn't test with both in on the same channel because it's testing now at a speed of 250. The errors aren't too numerous and can happen right away or within a few hours. They are always at two specific spots though and always in the pair. No pass has had a single error at one of those spots without the other.

Now the reason why I'm pretty sure one of them is bad and it's not the system at all is because I have another pair of the same memory which I used in the system and those two sticks are completely stable for 24+ hour periods as well as long windows torture tests. I popped them out after a quick 5 hour test and put in the 2 suspect sticks and got a quick two errors at the usual two spots on the third or fourth pass. During a 5 or so hour test with them I only managed to get 4 sets of 2 errors so it's not the tens/hundreds/thousands of errors type of problem I've seen with bad timings or other settings.

I'm currently testing at a clock of 250 just to see if it can handle that and I'll try both on the same channel. So far I'm guessing one is bad but it doesn't get pushed over the edge until it's in dual channel. I guess it gets stressed a bit harder. I tried with bios defaults and underclocked everything else but that doesn't change anything. Voltage changes didn't seem to change much either. I haven't been able to get either one to error by itself yet with 10+ hour tests.

Thanks

System specs: Asus A8N32-SLI , X2-4200 , Enermax 485w PSU

After about 10+ hours testing I got a pair of errors with the suspect sticks

in slots A1 and B2 so it wasn't dual channel. That was with auto settings setting the memclock to 133 as well so the ram was actually running at 180 since I had the hyper transport set to 270.

The bad stick fails when set to 270 and I tried as low as 250 and also 180. 1T or 2T doesn't make a difference. I used the default timings of 2.5-4-4-8 and 3-4-4-8. Voltage from 2.70-2.85 was tried which made no difference. The other 3 sticks work fine at any setting I tried. I also used the auto settings for all the timings and ram settings as well which were more conservative settings than I tried otherwise. That didn't help either. I also used the 3 good sticks at once also and didn't have errors so it's definitely that one stick. Basically nothing I did could stop that stick from having errors. I have the system running fine now with the old pair.Let me know if there is other information you want.

• Corsair Employees

All of our modules are tested on a MB at their rated speed before they leave the factory! If you still have problems I would suspect that you may be trying to run the memory to fast for your system configuration and most systems would need to run the memory at DDR333 with 4 modules installed!

And I have not seen any MB that would run these modules at their tested settings with 4 modules.

Archived