Corsair Community

3200C2PT cannot pass 180Mhz

dracosc

Hi,

I have some issues with my RAM.

I tried running without a divider and RAM is running perfectly @ 200Mhz.

Tried the same timings and dram settings also without a divider and it can run up to 235Mhz error free.

Now i am trying to overclock CPU, so i use a divider on the ram.

ANY divider i choose, i have to run under 180Mhz (DDR360), otherwise system doesn't boot. Ram settings are the same as running 1/1 @ 235Mhz(DDR470).

Also tried very high and very low Voltage!

What is my problem?

• Corsair Employees
The memory does not care what the CPU Freq is, this would be a limitation of the MB/CPU configuration! Do you have the latest MB Bios installed? And have you tried moving the modules to the other two slots?

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Today i made some tries to fix this problem.

One of my memmory sticks alone can run @ 9x300 using the "140Mhz" divider.

The other one can only do 9x300 using the "120Mhz" divider. Both together can only run using the "120Mhz" divider.

So i't not the motherboard's problem, but RAM problem.

BTW these two memmory modules are rev5.2 and they were bought together as one package as a dual channel tessted!

What should i do?

OK. Today i made some tries to fix this problem.

One of my memmory sticks alone can run @ 9x300 using the "140Mhz" divider.

The other one can only do 9x300 using the "120Mhz" divider. Both together can only run using the "120Mhz" divider.

So i't not the motherboard's problem, but RAM problem.

Since you can run this ram to 235Mhz at 1:1 this means that they are far past the PC3200 guarantee. The ram is passive. It is independent of the controller (on CPU) and the controllers dividing. The ram is not divided. The controller divides the throughput of the data lines on the board and not the ram. How can this be a RAM problem? Please explain how you see this to be a problem of the RAM.

I tried running without a divider and RAM is running perfectly @ 200Mhz.

This is what I am speaking of with regards to RAM issues. You can run without a divider fine at 200Mhz. Thus any division issue is due to the controller on the motherboard, not the RAM because the RAM can make 200Mhz at 1:1. The problem is the ratio, hence the motherboard memory controller and not the RAM.

This is what I am speaking of with regards to RAM issues. You can run without a divider fine at 200Mhz. Thus any division issue is due to the controller on the motherboard, not the RAM because the RAM can make 200Mhz at 1:1. The problem is the ratio, hence the motherboard memory controller and not the RAM.

I see, but why the one stick acts different than the other?

I see, but why the one stick acts different than the other?

No two sticks are exactly the same. If you were to take ten kits of RAM and singly test each one to find their overclock maximums and stabilities, all would be different.

What you have to do is find the maximum they will do together. The other method is to buy more than one set and test each individually and then sell the others when you have the two best.

It's always a dice throw with this type of thing and it is why we are called "Enthusiasts". Because we look for the highest and best we can get. :) We also have to accept the hardware limitations.

No two sticks are exactly the same. If you were to take ten kits of RAM and singly test each one to find their overclock maximums and stabilities, all would be different.

Yes but here we are talkig about a stick running at 180Mhz max, and another @200Mhz using dividers. Not 220 and 240Mhz!

If you run them both at 200MHz with 1:1 they work. That is what they are warranted for. To both work at their stated PC3200. The dividers is a motherboards method to gain an overclock. The problem is the board not the drams.

For warranty purposes. The ram would be tested at DDR400 PC3200 with a 1:1 relationship with the CPU. That is what their stock profile settings are and your issue is a board one, not the dram.

If they are single sticks, then each stick is warranted for DDR400 PC3200. Kits of this ram are warranted for DDR400 PC3200 1:1. That's what a kit is made for which is a 1:1 relationship. Hence the term "KIT".

RamGuy will be back in the morning and he can deal with this as he is a Corsair Representative and I am just a member here like you.

I agree, but can anyone give me any idea of what can i do? DFI is not helping. They have released only one bios version after the original one, and they seem they don't care of RDX200 anymore. There are many other users that have suck problems!

Problem is fixed!!!!!

I have replaced my ram with two other sticks 2x512Mhz DDR400 (cannot mention brand). Those new chips are 2 years old and REALLY CHEAP!!!

Now i am running @ 9x300 using the "160Mhz divider" (DDR500) with no problems at all!!!!

So it was either a ram problem or an incompatibility!

An incompatibility might well be the issue. However, it makes no sense that the ram will run 1:1 at 235MHz dual channel but not 180 divided. It must be an issue on the board side, and yes, it could be that this old board does not like this new ram.

It's for sure an incompatibility issue. Now that i remember, I was running this ram on my old DFI NFII Ultra Infinity (nForce2) using a divider @ 230Mhz even if they say that nForce2 could not run asyncronous!

I also ran asyncronous on Nforce2. It's too bad that there will be very little support for this ATi board of yours. Nvidia will be stopping production of all ATi based chipsets.

Actually it's a shame that they don't pay any attention on this great motherboard! That's a really good and really cheap motherboard!!!!

Bought it 3 weeks ago on sale from http://www.overclockers.co.uk for only 29.99 pounds ($55)!

That's the best quality for price board ever i think!

P.S: I still remember when I bought my EPOX 8RDA3+ for more than $250 some years ago. The fastest nForce2 board ever but with many problems and lots of money. Nothing to do with my current board.

Anyway, can you recommend any other better CPU for me since i know that my ram can run @ 250Mhz and my board can go over 300FSB? I am stuck with x9 multiplier.

Archived