Corsair Community

Asus A8n-SLi and The VS 512 Kits...

Gyi2os

Hi,

So my first batch of Value Select 2x512mb Kit in the pc3200 flavor turned out to be flawed (App errors while attempting to open large prog's, lock ups while gaming, failure in MEMTest), so i followed the process (check Voltage and timings and all that, finally sending them out) and got the sticks replaced. All good right...

Nope, the next sticks also came DOA with the same errors in windows and failures in Memtest...

So i'm all like great it's my mobo... so i go to Best Buy (DUN DUN DUhhhhnNNNN!!!) and pick up a pair of Kbyte pc3200 512's and low and behold i just ruled out the probability that my mobo's shot... because i just ran MEMTest over night with 20 passes and it passed fully. Then i went and gamed for the entire weekend with absolutely no lock ups or errors.

So i guess my question is... Is the VS just not good for my mobo? i know you guys list it as compatible but is there a chance that it's not? because i friggin' love Corsair prod's and absolutly hate the Kbytes (also their timings suck)

And since i've got the warrenty but am getting sad from having to spend the 6$ on shipping and around a weeks turn time on 'em again... and i know you guys say we can't do this... but is there anyway i could POSSIBLY pay the difference for a pair of higher quality sticks? That would seriosuly make my day...

Thanks

Nick Tempelis

Allright awesome, so i disable USB legacy and no errors in memtest...

loaded defaults, only setup the RAID config. and stayed with bios ver. 1013 because i see to many posts saying that when they updated to 1014 their RAID array was all messed up. Did not even bump the voltage up.

So my question now is... why the heck does it matter if USB legacy is disabled so that the RAM functions correctly?!?!

thanks for your help, i'm once again a Corsair super-fan.

So my question now is... why the heck does it matter if USB legacy is disabled so that the RAM functions correctly?!?!

The problem is with some BIOS's and USB legacy support with Memtest. The conclusion is that there is an issue (read bug) in Memtest with regards to certain BIOS's and the legacy USB support.

All tests have shown that there is no system issue with legacy USB enabled. In other words, you will not find events (ram related) with legacy USB enabled. You just need to disable to test the DRAM.

i see... well i let it run over night and it passed 25 times no errors... but that makes me wonder why when playing WoW, after about 2 hours the game would hard lock and i'd get the "jack hammering" sound from my speakers... only way to get out of that is pull the plug or mash ctrl+alt+del for 5 min.

coulda sworn that was RAM related... especially since when i switched to the k-byte cheap-o ram that issue went away and my system was 100% stable for more than a week of gaming...

and one last thing, so it's ok if i re-enable the legacy support for normal use?

Archived