Corsair Community

OC'ing XMS2 TWIN2X-6400: Need Soem Help

Guerrilla

I just installed a set of DDR2 800 XMS2 RAM into my Abit Fatal1ty AN9-32X SLI motheboard with nForce 590 SLI chipset. Out of the box they posted fine, but showed up as 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8v instead of 5-5-5-12 @ 1.9v. Common problem from what I've heard, I just bumped the voltage to 1.9 and set the timings to 5-5-5-12. Passed Memtest with no errors after 9 hours over night.

Then I decided to OC them a bit more. I couldn't find a setting for the CAS or command rate, so I ended up with 5-4-4-12 2T. I noticed my TrFc on DIMM1 was set at 105ns and DIMM2-3 was set at 75ns, so I lowered DIMM1's TrFc to match at 75. Finally, I used the equation for the bank (Bank=tRAS + tRP) and lowered it from 23 clocks to 16. Again, all passed Memtest with no errors after 9 hours overnight.

So right now SANDRA says I have a theoretical bandwidth of 7700-7800 MB/s after running it 3 or 4 times @ 5-4-4-12, 16 bank, 2T, 1.9v, 400MHz(DDR2 800MHz). However, occasionaly the program that runs with my ZBoard keyboard fails to launch at startup with an error and I'm concerned something might be wrong.

So, did I do something wrong? Or would any software difficulty be fixed by a re-install or all Windows related? And how's that for an OC?

Is this issue coming from startup or standby? Your keyboad is a USB one? Have you set the "Wake-On-USB Keyboard/Mouse" in the BIOS? Have you tried removing the keyboard USB connector from the slot and installing it in a lower/higher slot. Not the slot horizontally next to the one it is in as that is on the same controller. Try it in a slot that is vertical to the one it is in as that is an entirely different controller.

Has this issue ever occurred before your setting of the DRAM? Have you made any other changes to your system at the same time. Either hardware or BIOS settings?

This happens on startup, but not everytime. No other changes to the hardware (BIOS or configuration) or software was made at the same time.

The only change that may have made a difference was installing AMD's dual core driver to fix a problem I had running games. My chief concern is making sure that I'm not hindering my machine's performance. I can play Battlefield 2142 and Splinter Cell: Double Agent for hours on max settings and play smoothly, so I imagine the RAM is fine.

If this were a problem with the timings might it be better if I set it to 5-5-5-12 instead of 5-4-4-12? Or changed the bank clock back to 23 from 16? This is my first time really OC'ing RAM since I've never had any RAM that could handle much before this.

I would revert your timing settings one by one and retest for issue repetition. If you can isolate the issue to a single timing setting then you have both your culprit and your fix. I've never heard of such an issue, but it is possibly due to your bank clock cycle time setting. I would first try setting your Vdimm up by +.1v and test for issue repetition.

I'll give that a shot. It's only this one particular program that does it. I'm going to reinstall the driver and see what happens and then try changing timings.

So besides that possible slight issue, how is tha for an overclock? Is it worth it or would I just be better off keeping them at stock 5-5-5-12 23 bank clock?

I would think that a removal of the board software and re-installation might fix the issue. I personally do not see these timings making the issue but the bank cycle at 23 might be at issue.

I would see if the issue is software. If you reinstall and the issue repeats then I would set the 16 bank cycle to 23 and retest for the issue. I think your other timings are fine as long as they past memtest. The final result of course is always your own intuition as you use your system and will notice any aberrations.

If the issue does not repeat then I would test your bandwidth to see if you gain any benefit. SuperPi will give you some insight to the performance of your tweaks.

SuperPi:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

Archived