Corsair Community

Can you use 2 TwinX Matched Memory Pairs?

KennyG

I purchased 4 CMX1024-3200PT (2 - 2GByte TwinX Matched Memory)for my Gigabyte K8N-SLI motherboard with Dual-Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU. Each matched pair (2GB) run well alone or with the original 1GB PC3200 DDR400 memory (2x512MB) (total 3GB). If I install both sets to max out at 4GB, I get random reboots / stop errors, etc. Also, I'm using 64-BIT Windows XP Pro. I'm unable to use memtest due to OS, but I'm assuming all is well since I have no problems when using just one pair at a time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For starters, you can burn the ISO version of Memtest86+ to CD and boot off of that to test the memory.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

It boots from the CD and is independent of the operating system.

You may have to loosen the stock memory timings and/or up the voltage to get the memory to function with 4GB installed.

These are the recommended settings for starters:

DRAM Clock: 200 MHz

DRAM Voltage: 2.7X Volts

DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual

System Performance: Normal

SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3

SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2 (2.5 on AMD platform)

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

These are the recommended settings for starters:

SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2 (2.5 on AMD platform)

That is for the CMX####-3200C2 series modules (or TWINX####-3200C2 series kits). The original poster does not have the C2 version of those modules; he has just the plain CMX1024-3200 series modules. Those modules may not run reliably at CAS 2 or even CAS 2.5, even with just a single module installed. In fact, the recommended timings are as follows:

SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 8

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3

However, when detected by SPD, some of the newer modules incorrectly set the memory timings to 2.5-4-4-8 instead of 3-3-3-8.

Thank you Both! I'll try that tonight after work. I'm assuming I should try each stick and then each pair? Also I'm assuming there is no difference between the CMX1024-3200 and CMX1024-3200PT? Thank You both! I'll post my results Wed-Thurs time frame. Hope you both have a fantastic day.

• Corsair Employees
Yes please let us know and the modules XMS3200 or XMS3200PT would be the exact same spec just one set has platinum colored heat spreaders. However, the MB you have may need to run the memory at DDR333 with 4 modules!

O.K. Here is the results of everything I tried all week.

1. Downloaded the memtest ISO version as instructed and burned it to CD, DVD and floppy.

Result => All failed to boot

2. I have run my computer with each memory board by itself, in pairs as shipped, and each pair with the original 2x512 to equal 3 gig.

Result => All work fine with no problems with running the computer for about 1-2 hours - editing large photo's in CS2 etc.

Don't know if there is any other way to ensure that the memory is good, but my assumption would be that all 4 MB are good.

3. Special setting - OK this took me a while - sorry I'm new, but I'm still going to need some clarification. At the very bottom are my original settings found under CMOS option "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)". I've tried several modifications all prevent the computer from booting into windows. So instead of wasting another whole day I thought I'd post for more help.

When I first go in most options are in light blue and I'm not able to change them. The first thing I do is change the "DDR Clock / Timing Mode" from Auto to Manual. This allows me to change "DDR Timing" from Auto to Manual. This allows me to change almost all other settings accept DDR Speed which seems to be set automatically by any changes to "CPU/DDR Clock Ratio".

Since the specs provided did not match exactly and I've tried to assume and set as many as I can find to the settings you recommended with no success - I believe I need advice. Sorry I'm such a novice on home computers and some of the questions below are most likely yes - I didn't want to assume. The motherboard book was also not very helpful - or at least I had a difficult time understanding it.

Questions on The settings provided:

DRAM Clock: 200 MHz?

is this the same as "CPU / DDR clock Ratio"?

if YES then would I set it to 2 / 2? (I don't ahve a 200MHz option)

Note: this setting changes DDR speed to 400 and is unchangeable

DRAM Voltage: 2.7X Volts?

is this the same as "DDR voltage control"?

if yes my options are normal, +0.1v, and +0.2v that's it for options

DRAM Timing: Manual

is this the same as changing "DDR Clock / Timing Mode" which when changed to manual then allows me to change "DDR Timing" to manual which then makes most of the other settings changeable?

Thus Both have to be set to manual?

Could not find this setting anywhere in CMOS?

SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS):8?

is this the same as "Min RAS# active time(Tras)?

if YES is a setting of 8T = to 8?

I could not find this setting anywhere?

SDRAM Row Precharge(tRP): 3

is this the same as "Row precharge Time (Trp)"?

if YES is 3 the same as "3T"?

SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Dealy (tRCD): 3

is this the same as "RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)"?

if YES is 3 the same as "3T"?

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3

is this the same as "CASE# latency (Tcl)"?

As always your help is greatly appreciated!! After 27 hrs and 20 mins of trying to make this work i'm about to give up. Thanks and again, sorry of the long post, but I wanted to be as specific as I can since I'm a novice and not sure what is and is not important.

- KennyG

My Settings: MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)

Note: Italic means Not changeable

HT frequency Ratio Auto

CPU Frequency (200)

K8 CPU Clock Ratio (Auto)

Current DDR Speed 333

DDR Clock / Timing Mode (Auto)

CPU / DDR clock Ratio 2 / 1.66

DDR speed 333

DDR Timing (Auto)

CAS# latency (Tcl) 3

Min RAS# active time(Tras) 7T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) 3T

Row precharge Time (Trp) 3T

Row to Tow delay (Trrd) 2T

Row cycle time(Trc) 10T

Row refresh cyc time(Trfc) 11T

Read-to-Write time(Trwt) 4T

Write Recovery Time (Twr) 3 bus clock

Write-to-Read Delay (Twtr) 1 bus clock

Refresh Rate (Tref) 166 MHz , 7.8 us

Read Preamble value 6ns

Async Latency value 7ns

CPU Spread Spectrum (Center Spread)

PCIE Clock (100Mhz)

Hammer Vid control (StartUp)

Robust Graphics Booster (Auto)

CPU Voltage Control (Normal)

Normal CPU Vcore 1.350V

Chipset core PCI-E voltage (Normal)

HT-Link voltage control (Normal)

DDR voltage control (Normal)

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings:

HT frequency Ratio Auto

CPU Frequency (200)

K8 CPU Clock Ratio (Auto)

Current DDR Speed 333

DDR Clock / Timing Mode (Auto)

CPU / DDR clock Ratio 2 / 1.66

DDR speed 333

DDR Timing Manual/User Define

CAS# latency (Tcl) 2.5

Min RAS# active time(Tras) 7T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) 3T

Row precharge Time (Trp) 3T

Row to Tow delay (Trrd) 2T

Row cycle time(Trc) 10T

Row refresh cyc time(Trfc) 11T

Read-to-Write time(Trwt) 4T

Write Recovery Time (Twr)Bios Default

Write-to-Read Delay (Twtr) Bios Default

Refresh Rate (Tref) 166 MHz , Bios Default

Read Preamble value Bios Default

Async Latency value Bios Default

CPU Spread Spectrum (Center Spread)

PCIE Clock (100Mhz)

Hammer Vid control (StartUp)

Robust Graphics Booster (Auto)

CPU Voltage Control (Normal)

Normal CPU Vcore 1.350V

Chipset core PCI-E voltage (Normal)

HT-Link voltage control (Normal)

DDR voltage control +.2 Volts or +.3 Volts

I tried your settings except for the "DDR Clock / Timing Mode" set to Auto. The reason for this is that when this is set to Auto I can not change most settings (i.e., see bottom of last message - anything in Italic can not be changed if this setting is auto). So here is what I tried.

Same settings as you recommended except "DDR Clock / Timing Mode" which was set to Manual vs. you Auto recommendation. I rebooted and then got to the windows xp pro-64, typed my login and then got the bluescreen white lettering crash and right into a reboot.

I went back into setup and changed the "DDR Clock / Timing Mode" to Auto which then changed most of the other settings to a not modifiable state, but originally with the same values. I did not even get to the windows login screen and it kept rebooting. I then went into the settings again and I guess the auto setting modifies all the settings back to the original settings for all Italic options (see original settings in last message).

Also note - the highest I can go for the DDR voltage control is +.2 Volts. There is no .3volts option.

It seems like we were very close with your settings except with "DDR Clock / Timing Mode set to Manual. With this option I got to the windows login and logged in before it crashed.

More help? Or do I try to return one of the pair? :eek:

- Thanks again for all your help!

No. I was unable to get my computer to boot from the ISO version. I downloaded it and burned it to CD, DVD, and floppy and tried to boot from each. Non worked kept getting do not recognize type of message. I have windows xp pro-64 don't know if that makes a difference.

I have tried each one by itself as far as booting and using the computer, but I've been unable to get the memtest tool to work.

Thoughts?

Not sure what you mean by burn image. I used Nero software. I downloaded the memtest86+-1.65.iso.zip file and then unzipped the file so that I had memtest86+-1.65.iso. I then went into Nero, selected CD, selected add button to add the memtest86+-1.65.iso file, and then burned it to disk.

Now if you are trying to say the files are not copied to disk then you would be incorrect. I'm not the most advanced Computer user, but I do know how to burn files to CD/DVD. I've been doing it for years.

Now, if you are trying to say that I need to make it a bootable disk as well as coping the file to the disk and burning the cd then then I'll try that, but your instructions make me assume that you think I didn't burn the files to CD. This would be an incorrect assumption.

Most people who use a computer know how to burn files to a cd. Not every computer user goes into CMOS and changes settings. So moving forward for very common computer user skills you can assume I'm doing those tasks correctly. :(:

Any other options? I've spent a lot of time trying to correct the problem with this memory. Is there a way to get help over the phone to solve in one sitting. I spent a lot of money on this memory and a lot of time. It shouldn't be this hard to get memory to work. As always your help is appreciated.

Ram Guy,

Thank you for the details on "burn and image" Once again my novice experience shines through. I'll have to read up on that and see what else it is used for.

I've never noticed nor used that option. Not sure what it does to the cd, but it worked. My computer booted right into the memtest and I'm testing the first memory board. I'm assuming I only need to test each one individually. If you want me to test them in pairs as well please let me know.

I'll post the results as soon as they are done.

Thanks again!

The memtest has now been runing for about 5 hours (i.e., 4 hours and 55 minutes. It is on pass 11 with 216064 Errors on the 1st memory board. How long does this test run for? Does it just keep running until I stop it or does it stop on it's own with a report of good, bad, indifferent???:confused:

If you have those kinds of errors you can stop by pressing the Esc Button. Follow I Think I have a Bad Part, What Do I Do?*Here*

After a pass or two you are fine with regards to ram stability if no errors occur.

There are two reasons to run memtest. The first is to test the bandwidth for errata that is hardware based. It has been my personal opinion that one pass is enough. The second is to test the thermal output of the dram and the ability of the dram/system to radiate the thermal output. I would perform 10 or more passes to test for the systems ability to deal with the thermal radiation. It has been my personal knowledge that errata produced after one pass is due to the DIMM's and system's inability to radiate and remove the heat thus producing errata due to thermal issues.

Thus I run one pass and continue bandwidth tightening until errata are produced on the first pass. Then I back off the tightening. I do this for bandwidth speed as well. Once I have found the sweet spot then I run 10+ runs of Memtest to see how well my system removes the heat that the DRAM produces.

OK. I've run the test on all for by themselves and came up with only one board that had errors. Test 4 had 1 error, Test 6 had about 11, and test #7 made the errors go up to a total of 19,456 for pass 1. I'll assume I must return both boards since they are a matched pair. I'll try to exchange them at the store, but if I don't have any luck I'll send them into Corsair, but I really wanted to have this computer done for my wife before xmas. Any other help other than the link DerekT provided?

Once again thanks to Ram Guy, DerekT, Littlehogarth, and Gorganzola for all your help!!!! And my appology if any of my messages came across with my frustration of two months trying to resolve this problem. I have so much to learn about PC's.

I hope everyone has a fantastic holiday season!!!

Archived