Corsair Community

VS512MB400, memtest failures

eliw

Yes, I tested each module individually with memtest86, the module I continue to use passes, the module I was hoping to RMA fails repeatedly. It fails in multiple computers (the reason I didn't supply my system specs).

• 2 weeks later...

First, let me say I was happy with the turnaround time, I received the replacement module yesterday.

Now, I was a fool and didn't send both modules back (feeling certain I knew which one was bad). My confidence was misplaced. The replacement module tests fine, it tests fine with another DIMM. When tested with its other pair, in dual channel mode, the old one fails.

Can I please get approval to RMA the second one (the one I should have returned as a set originally)?

Kudos on the turnaround time again. I now have two working modules... but no dual channel. Is it really the case that the only way I'm going to get two identical modules is to RMA them both at the same time? This time the replacement module was single sided, higher density chips, unlike the one I returned and unlike the one from the first RMA.

Perhaps the third time will be the charm, I'd like to RMA both of them (perfectly working modules, pass memtest86 etc) in the hope that I can once again get two identical modules.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you did ask me both times, and both times I didn't listen. I have a personal defect that many share, I often, no, very often, believe I'm right. The first time because I was sure memtest was telling me the right stick, the second because I was equally sure that if you just sent me a replacement with the same sidedness/density all would be ok.

Now the results of the third attempt (which was fast, really, many kudos on the turnaround time): I sent back both modules, you know, the whole key to success that apparently I've been missing. Guess what? Even though the RMA clearly listed a pair, two sticks, I received back one, a single stick of VS512MB400. Two sticks in, one stick out.

I just called about the RMA and it appears your receiving department listed it as me having returned a single module: this was not the case. I did return them in the single plastic holder, not stacked, very obviously two. The person at the other end (Henry I think) said that sometimes they make mistakes and that they would look into it and send me another stick if they discover I'm right. Of course, with my luck, it will probably have lower density chips and I'll be exactly where I was before the last RMA.

Then again, with my luck Henry may never discover that I'm right, we didn't discuss what would happen then.

I'm probably less irritated than the above reads, I'm just hoping that some time next week I'll happily trip over a little box from your company.

I tried to call several times today, x279 lead to voicemail where Tina says to leave your name, phone number and a brief message. This is then followed by a "Sorry I am unable to do that at this time" from the automated system (so no ability to actually leave a message).

Anyway I'll try back tomorrow.

Archived