Corsair Community

Opteron or Core Duo2

MarcusTaz

I do not know if this is the right forum for this question but since I will be using Corsair memory ( the only memory c.o. I trust ) I hope I can get some sound advise. My current setup is an X2 4800+ (oced to 2.8GHz air cooled) Asus A8N 32 SLI Deluxe (the only mobo c.o. I trust) with Corsair TWINX2048 3500LLPRO 2GB 433mhz, SLI EVGA 7900GTKO. I am very happy with my current setup. I do understand that my memory is discontinued, I cannot find it anywhere :[pouts: .

At any rate I am going to build a second machine and cannot decide to go intel CoreDuo2 6300 or 6600 (bla) or stick with AMD and go for an Opteron 165 or 175, probably will go for the 6600 or 175. I also know the 939 socket is being phazed out, but what sockets do these companys not phaze out. Questions are a few. I understand that Intel is the new powerhouse on the block etc as well as DDR-2. But when all is said and done is the Intel that much better and am I going to notice a difference in gaming primarly COD2. Also I know that DDR-2 suffers in the latency dept. Although it is Double rate x 2 as compared to DDR is it really that much better? In the end is the increased expenditure worth it?? Please if you post a response I am really interested in learning and really need sound advise to make my mind up.

Thank you.

http://www.hrgamers.com

There is no competition at this time between AMD and Intel. Core2 Duo is by far the fastest CPU around.

I had an Opteron 165 overclocked to 2.8Ghz and my SuperPi benchmarks were ~29s.

My E6400 Core2 Duo at stock (2.133Ghz) is ~24s and when overclocked to 3.2 (Easy overclock with Good Corsair 800MHz DRAM) I am at 17s.

The Core2 Duo E6400 is $218.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004

A GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 is $134.99

That would be my advice. I would also purchase a good heatsink/fan assembly and a northbridge heatsink.

This is if you intend on overclocking. If you do not, then the E6600 is an excellent Core2 for stock settings and DDR2 533MHz Dram will be enough.

Corsair DDR2 6400 800MHz DRAM (4 - 4 - 4 - 12) is: 248.99 (After Rebate)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003

The same motherboard would work well with either chip.

The Core 2 Duo E6600 is $309.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003

The Corsair Value 533MHz DDR2 is $206.99 for two GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145527

Thanks for the reply. Yes the more I read the more I am leaning towards Intel.

Would you say the Intel 965 chipset is superior to the Nvidia 570? The 680i chipset is big $$.

I will also go with that 800mhz ram. Question is the 6400 or the 6600. Sad that AMD has nothing to compete against the Intel. Thanks for the post! :sunglasse

I personally go with Intel. They make the CPU and their chipsets are just the most stable and well performing I have found. Yes, Nvidia comes out with some decent chipsets but they are also less mature and more buggy.

Be careful to purchase the best board for your overclock. I find that the Gigabyte 965p-DS3 is a great longterm board. If you overclock highly though, you would do well to install an aftermarket Northbridge cooler. The Core 2 Allendale responds very well to this board.

I am at more than a few forums and rather than rely on reviews, I rely on those who actually buy the hardware and use the hardware. The Nvidia 680i runs very hot it seems. There are also quite a few issues with this board. Yes, it overclocks well but issues remain.

I find that the 6400 is the best price/performance point at the moment. I have had both chips. When both chips are overclocked to the same settings ie. 400MHz FSB X 8 = 3.2GHz with 1:1 @ 4 - 4 - 4 - 10 (2.1V) (on PROMOS btw) there is a ~1s difference on SuperPi. However, when I load Oblivion or BF2 and use a digital stopwatch, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE! There is minimal to no difference in FRAPs with FarCry, F.E.A.R., BF2 has a few FPS better with the E6600 and Quake 4 has ~6 FPS better.

DerekT, thanks for all your advise, but honestly lets put benchmark tools aside for a moment. In your personal experiance gaming, do you honestly see a differnce in gaming with the intel as oposed to your older opteron machine? Please explain you real world experence between the machines if you do not mind.

Thanks again :biggrin:

You will find dual core 939 opterons in very short supply, basically their discontinued. I was toying with the idea of getting one cheap while waiting for conroe but decided against it.

I'm looking to go conroe 6600 iaround febuary next year, have used amd for many years but can't see amd putting out anything comparable with conroe for a while.

Re chipsets 4 conroe i'd look at 965, 975 & 680i I was originally floored by the £ of the new 680i Nvidia Ships World’s Most Expensive Desktop Core-Logic but there appears to be a 2nd tier appearing around £30 above the average 975 (crossfire) boards. Asus P5N32-E SLI NF680i SLI

There is also the Baerlake chipset coming out A look at Intel's upcoming moves which may be worth looking at.

luck:)

DerekT, thanks for all your advise, but honestly lets put benchmark tools aside for a moment. In your personal experiance gaming, do you honestly see a differnce in gaming with the intel as oposed to your older opteron machine? Please explain you real world experence between the machines if you do not mind.

Thanks again :biggrin:

You are missing something that needs to be expressed. As games become more complex you will find that the Opteron is holding you back and you will be CPU bound.

If you had an Opteron @ 2.8+Ghz right now and were wondering about a move to Conroe I would very likely say "Wait a while until your system is not performing adequately". I would not move from your current CPU to an Opteron as there is minimal difference and I doubt if you would see any benefit from such a move. However, you say you wish to build a new system. Since that is the case, my advice below is and in the post above is my view.

If you were purchasing a new system then I would give you the advice that I already have. I see a difference in BF2 and Oblvion for certain. There is absolutely no lag in these games and load times are considerably faster. Deserving of a system change? Well, that's up to you and your ability to generate income as well as your desire to effect a system change.

As I said, benchmarks will show you a prime indicator of future performance. Benchmarks show you what your system will perform like in comparison to other systems and also those other systems in the future.

In future directx 10 enabled games there will be a marked difference between the Opteron and Core 2. There already is a difference and that difference will grow as time moves on.

The A64 is old architecture and Core2 is new. One does not purchase old technology when the new one is out and close to the same price. Why would you?

I thank you for your sound advise and point of view. I think I shall wait for the 680i mobo's to prove themselves and just run a laptop at the second location where I wish to have this second machine. When the prices adjust and more 680I mobos come on the market as well as the quad cores are I will for sure consider the Intel platform. Again thank you.

You are very welcome. This is the first time (that I know of) in the history of Intel processors where the new architecture came in at the same price point as the old architecture. This was done to regain the marketshare that Intel has lost to AMD.

We benefit from this move and hopefully AMD can come up with a viable (Price/Performance) alternative to Intel soon so that prices will drop even further.

Archived