Corsair Community

Can't Get to Advertised Timmings W/ out Errors!

Hun73r

I have a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 Mobo w/ Bios F5. and TWINX2048-6400C4 memory modules. (matched pairs of 1gb)

The advertised timings are 4-4-4-12 trc-22 w/ 2T cmd Rate.

I cannot get these timings without errors in Memtest and SP2004 ORTHOS.

I even overvolted ram by .1 and .2 and still got errors.

My mobo when set to Auto, it reads 5-5-5-18 trac-23 w/ 2T cmd rate. I can't find anywhere to activate the EPP profile in the bios (4-4-4-12 Trc22 2Tcmd)

Im fairly sure the Modules are not defective because i get no errors after hours of ramtest and sp2004 at the auto settings. But get errors almost imediately (only a few minutes into test) when set to advertised timmings. (with overvolt and without)

I need help! Here is some more info on my system configs.

Processors Map

--------------------

Number of processors 1

Number of threads 2

Processor 0

-- Core 0

-- Thread 0

-- Core 1

-- Thread 0

BIOS Tables

--------------

K7/K8 PSB found at address 0xFB040

PSB version 1.4

Voltage stabilization 100 usec

Ramp Voltage Offset 25 mV

Max voltage step 50 mV

PLL lock time 2 us

Number of P-States 5

Processors Information

--------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)

Number of cores 2

Number of threads 2 (max 2)

Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+

Codename Windsor

Specification AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+

Package Socket AM2 (940)

CPUID F.B.2

Extended CPUID F.4B

Brand ID 4

Core Stepping BH-F2

Technology 90 nm

Core Speed 2411.3 MHz (12.0 x 200.9 MHz)

HT Link speed 1004.7 MHz

Stock frequency 2400 MHz

Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64

L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L2 cache 2 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

FID/VID Control yes

max FID 12.0x

VID range 1.125V - 1.300V

K8 Thermal sensor yes

K8 Revision ID 5.2

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 0

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 1

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 2

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 3

Chipset

----------

Northbridge NVIDIA SPP190 (C51XE) rev. A2

Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI rev. A2

Graphic Interface PCI-Express

PCI-E Link Width x16

PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory Type DDR2

Memory Size 2048 MBytes

Memory Frequency 401.9 MHz (CPU/6)

CAS# 5.0

RAS# to CAS# 5

RAS# Precharge 5

Cycle Time (tRAS) 18

Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 23

Command Rate 2T

Memory SPD

-------------

DIMM #1

General

Memory type DDR2

Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)

Size 1024 MBytes

Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)

Part number CM2X1024-6400C4

Manufacturing date Week 29/Year 06

Attributes

Number of banks 2

Data width 64 bits

Correction None

EPP yes (1 profiles)

Timings table

Frequency (MHz) 270 400

CAS# 4.0 5.0

RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5

RAS# Precharge 4 5

TRAS 13 18

TRC 15 22

EPP profile 1 (full)

Voltage level 2.100 V

Address Command Rate 2T

Cycle time 2.500 ns (400.0 MHz)

tCL 4.0 clocks

tRCD 4 clocks (10.00 ns)

tRP 4 clocks (10.00 ns)

tRAS 12 clocks (30.00 ns)

tRC 22 clocks (55.00 ns)

tWR 6 clocks (15.00 ns)

(DIMM #2 = Same)

Thank you very much in advance.

-Hunter

---Addition Dec 3 2006-Sunday

I noticed the corsair lab report on these modules says advertised timings are at 1.9v, and default is 1.8v I have overvolted .1 which equals 1.9v and i get errors

The GA-M59SLI-S5 Does support sli ready memory and EPP profiles. (AM2 board)

It doesn't really matter anyway if i can get the "EPP" active or not b/c i can manualy set the VDIMM, and timings to the specification of the EPP, however it does not run stable.

I am dropping the timings 1 by 1 from 5-5-5-18 to 4-4-4-12 and ramtesting/cpu stressing after each to narrow down which timing is giving me errors. This is going to take a while but at least i can monitor the tests from VNC at work.

So far i have the CAS down to (4)-5-5-18 and its stable. Next i will move the RAS to CAS delay to 4, and so on.

I am shooting at trial and error here so if anybody has any recomendations PLEASE let me know, as this will take me a while to figure out.

PS - i'm running a ram divider of 6 and a cpu multiplier of 12 = 2:1, getting this to 1:1 would that help me with my problem, or at all in general?

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Bios is F5

Didnt know about the Legacy issue... The programs i have used for testing the ram run from windows, not sure if that changes the issue or not (assuming not b/c you say "when running any memory test"). I will now use memtest86+ just for consistency.

I will disable legacy USB, Set modules to 2.1v and set timmings manualy to the SPD info. I will re-test each module individually, then together (assuming no errors)

Thanks for help.

Of course, as soon as i figure it out, the answer will be here.

Nothing nicer than to google a part number and find somebody with the exact hardware and problems you are having. Not to mention the answer is there too!

-Hunter

In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Is this common with most Gigabytes? AMD, Intel, Nforce, or either. I have the GA-8N-SLI v1.1 and wondering if I may have been affected by this issue. :idea:

BIOS is F5.

Maybe a link to more info on this? It could prove to be interesting reading for me. :sunglasse

set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to....

I can't help but notice that on the Corsair labs performance report #12580 that the default vdimm detected was 1.8v (what mine was detected at) and that the default speed and timmings advertised are at 1.9v (not stable at 4-4-4-12 on my rig) So 1.9v - 2.1v = .2v more than what is advertised. Is this safe?- it must be b/c you told me to do so and you're the "RAM GUY".

But why such a large delta? .2v seems to be alot to me. Even the Highest FSB at advertised timings doesn't go over 2.0v vdimm. I have an x2 4600+ in my rig, and the corsair testing was with an fx-62. Could this be why?

A little confused...

The bios legacy usb setting was the culprit in the memory stability testing. Setting it to disable put the system stable at 4-4-4-12 1Tcmd @800mhz 1.9vdimm(dual channel) with no errors after 20 hours of stress test.

Again, thank you for your help.

-Hunter

Archived