Corsair Community

Is my Corsair memory Faulty

Apollo21

Hi

I have just built a new System and have put in 2gig of Corsair Twinx Pc 6400 DDR 2 should run at 800mhz .I have never used cpuz before Im sorry but I cant get a sceenshot either but from what I can see the numbers dont seem right to me Frequency 373.1 MHZ

FSB:Dram CPU/7

CAS#Latency 5.0 Clocks

RAS#toCas#delay 5 clocks

RAS#Prechange 5 clocks

Cycle time(Tras) 12 clocks

Bank Cycle time(Trc) 23 clocks

Command rate 1T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory Speed

module size 1024MBytes

max Bandwidth PC-6400(400MHz )

Manufacturer Corsair

part number CM1024-6400

maufacturing date week 29, Year 06

Timings table

Frequency 270MHz 400MHz

CAS# Latency 4.0 5.0

RAS#to CAS# 4 5

RAS#Precharge 4 5

Tras 13 18

Trc 15 22

To me there seems to be a slight descepency there somewhere ,I am far from an expert ,and would appreciate anyones help ,comments or sugestions It may be that I have something set wrong somewhere ,I dont know,as I said Any help at all would be very much appreciated .By the way the Memory is actually running ok so far but I did run out of memory once or twice during a game which seems strange but there we are.

ps I'm new to the forum and have just moved this post i think it should have been here first.

Kind regards

Apollo

What do you have the CPU FRequency set to? And are you getting that under the memory Tab?

Hi

Thanks for the reply,yes the cpu frequency is showing in the memory tab and its showing as 373.1 but i think this is on auto.

ps.Jimoo as exactly the same read out as me in cpuz different board and processor though i assume, he doesent say but he does have the same memory that might help a bit.

In case your wondering I havent overclocked anything i wouldnt know where to start lol and everything in bios is Auto.

Kind regards

Apollo

Hi

Thanks for the reply,yes the cpu frequency is showing in the memory tab and its showing as 373.1 but i think this is on auto.

ps.Jimoo as exactly the same read out as me in cpuz different board and processor though i assume, he doesent say but he does have the same memory that might help a bit.

In case your wondering I havent overclocked anything i wouldnt know where to start lol and everything in bios is Auto.

Kind regards

Apollo

HI I know all you tech guys are very busy,but do you think there is a chance of an update with my problem ,I am anxious to get it sorted before xmas or i will be along time without a computer if i have to send the Ram in Question back ,I dont mean to be rude and as i said i realise everyone is very busy,but if a quick update is possible it would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Apollo

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hi Ramguy

I think I had better explain a little differently ,I have not had any real problems with the Ram as such ,just the odd cliches etc,I had a gut feeling that the computer was not performing as well as it should a bit sluggish ,so I decided to do a bit of checking.I have never held much store for utilities that give cpu, memory readouts etc but dispite this ,I was advised to try cpuz which I did, now ,My main concern is the timmings Table readout

Each colum is different,One starts 270mhz and the Other starts 400Mhz now to me its not rocket science but surely they should be the same ie:2 x 400mhz = 800mhz the advertised speed of the ram now if they arnt reading at the same speed then surely the memory can't be running at 800mhz.Can you please advise me from that information,I have followed your instructions to the letter and the memory checks out ok well there were no apparent errors,it seems that no matter what adjustments I make the readout in the Timmings table is exactly the same, is there any way to rectify this or are the moduals actually faulty,they are actually the ones recommended for my Mobo ,as I got the approval of Komplett before I bought them I also used the configurater to be sure I bought the right Ram, I spent alot of money on my system and am a little dissapointed with the fact that this is the first time I have used corsair Memory and it may be faulty.

The point is I just need to know if I am following the right path questioning the timmings table or what and if it can be rectified.

There is one thing I don't know if its relevent or not ,when i built my system I used the power supply I had already got ,now the only problem it was 20pin and the board is 24 so i bought a a 20 to 24 adapter could this cuase a Problem ,I will change it if you think it is the problem ,but dont want to spend money on something that i dont need to.

To sum it all up my system is running fine, no problems to shout about but and a big but is my Performing as it should which i have reason to doubt if it isnt i might as well have bought cheaper memory lol Sorry it is a bit of a drawn out post but I am just trying to give you a clear picture of the Problem I must have been lucky in the 15 or so yrs I have had computers because this is the first time I have ever had to query the ram I have used .

your Help and advice would be Greatly appreciated .

PS If you really think the Ram is faulty I think I will have to send it Back to Komplett the reseller where I purchaed it ,as I am in the UK ,I contacted them as soon as i thought there might be a problem, but there after sales is not very forthgiving thats why I am trying to get confermation of faults with ram or a solution to getting it to run at the right speed ,You do an excellent job which can't be easy with so many people moning lol and i know your not a mind reader but i do hope I have given enough information for you to make an analysis.I dont mind if you send email of pm if its quicker for you .

Very Kind regards

Apollo

Appollo,

You are looking under the SPD Tab and that is showing correctly, you should look under the memory Tab to see what its actually running at!

Hi Ramguy

Sorry you must think I am a right pain! the memory Tab shows 373.1 ,I think thats what I put in my 1st post anyway thats what it says and it hasn't changed lol. I am thinking that this board was specificaly made to overclock things ,I bought the board because it was not long out and thought it would give me some longivity with my system .I dont know the first thing about overclocking well I have read some ,But I feel that I should not have to or need to overclock anything ,anyway the memory is running slow by the looks of it.

I do thank you for your reply

I am just a bit wiser but what happens now how can I speed up the memory to the correct speed,or dare I say it again is it faulty,

Kind regards

Apollo

• Corsair Employees
Do you have the latest bios version installed and did you load setup defaults and then set the tested settings and voltage manually? If not I would try that, if you need help with the settings you can get them from the link in my signature or call our tech support we will be happy to help you! 800-205-7657!

Do you have the latest bios version installed and did you load setup defaults and then set the tested settings and voltage manually? If not I would try that, if you need help with the settings you can get them from the link in my signature or call our tech support we will be happy to help you! 800-205-7657!

yes the first thing I did when i got the board was update the Bios ,yes i Loaded the the setup defaults and i set the tested settings and voltage maually. Nothing I seem to do changes anything at all ,the setting under the memory tab as not changed at scince I have been checking things i really don't understand this at all,it's not as if it's cheap generic memory or anything it costs an arm and a leg lol.

Still no wiser than I was before and you already told me about doing the things you metion above but i have done them again to no avail.

Thank you for your patience.

I know I'm feeling a bit cheesed off lol

Kind Regards

Apollo

I would suggest you call our tech support so we can help you with the settings!

Hi

Ram Guy

I Understand what your saying but I am In the England and I can't really phone tech support in U.S.A as it would cost a Fortune, what may you ask am I asking Questions in this forum for ,well it is to Establish if my memory is Actually faulty ,so that I could get it replaced with the Reseller i bought it from ,now I just need info so I can ring there tech support though i doubt very much that they will help ,they certainly did not the last time I Phoned them . So if you Can Please tell Me Simply is there the Chance that the Memory is Faulty or Not as I said Changing the settings to whatever is not making One Blind bit of difference ,so I dont really see what anyone can tell me ,Unless the advanced ,advanced settings are changed which are on Auto I think I'm just going round in Circles and wasting time ,

So Please Advise me Could the memory be Faulty or not and Should I get it replaced ? I dont think changing settings any more will make it better and there is always the possibility that it could make it worse.

Kind regards

Apollo

• Corsair Employees

Appollo,

Not trying to be rude just to answer your questions.

And please tell me our exact modules part#! (How To Read the Memory Label), Also what slots do you have the modules installed in?

I have tested this MB and memory combination and did not have any problem, just follow the steps I gave you, if that does not solve the problem.

Then I am sorry but there is something you are missing or there some other hardware problem. And trying to teach you how to trouble shoot if you have no experience is more complicated and would take more interaction than the forum would allow with out some patience and more posts on your part!

As far as a program like CPU-Z I don’t put a lot of faith in the reporting of such programs and knowing the exact settings you changed from default would help to know if there is something you may have missed or maybe some other problem..

The fastest way to help you would be over the phone certainly if that’s not an option I will be happy to try to help you.

Certainly if your reseller will help you test and or replace the modules I have no problem at all with that and in fact would suggest you contact them for some help as well.

Appollo,

Not trying to be rude just to answer your questions.

And please tell me our exact modules part#! (How To Read the Memory Label), Also what slots do you have the modules installed in?

I have tested this MB and memory combination and did not have any problem, just follow the steps I gave you, if that does not solve the problem.

Then I am sorry but there is something you are missing or there some other hardware problem. And trying to teach you how to trouble shoot if you have no experience is more complicated and would take more interaction than the forum would allow with out some patience and more posts on your part!

As far as a program like CPU-Z I don’t put a lot of faith in the reporting of such programs and knowing the exact settings you changed from default would help to know if there is something you may have missed or maybe some other problem..

The fastest way to help you would be over the phone certainly if that’s not an option I will be happy to try to help you.

Certainly if your reseller will help you test and or replace the modules I have no problem at all with that and in fact would suggest you contact them for some help as well.

Hi Ram Guy

The info you asked for is as follows:

Corsair TWIN2x 6400 DDR2 2048 CL5

Kit w/two matched CM2x1024A-6400 Dimms.

(Above Copied from Invoice)

XNS Number Xms 6405v5.1

Serial Numbers 024007 And 024009

LOT Code 0636134-0

I have been in touch with the reseller and they are going to get back to me when the tech guys hve had chance to look into it ,but the person I spoke to seems to think they are faulty or one of them or whatever ,thank you for all the info you have given me so far ,its a pity we could not have found the problem ,but as the warrenty is with Komplett ,probably best if they try and sort it ,When it comes to troubleshooting I am quiet competant I owned and ran a computer shop for 3yrs but had to give it up because of illness ,just as a matter of interest I am not some bedroom wizz kid ,but am 60yrs old and been around PC's along time.

Amyway ram guy I will let you Know the outcome it may help you in some way if anyone gets a similar problem.

Kind regards

Apollo

The I would try the modules one at time and try the steps I gave you before and see if the modules will run at 800 FSB one up!

Also you have to be running an 1066FSB CPU to run the memory at 800 FSB FYI.

Hi Ram Guy

Well now I don't know where to begin, First of all I set the good settings As per the instruction ,had another read of the Manual lol And decided to take the bull by the horns and try the Intelligent overclocking sytem Asus put on this board ,wow and it worked

Memory 401.2Mhz,

FSB 1080.

CPU speed 2808MHz

Multiplier 216 X 13 wont go higher than 13

so I thank you very much ,and realise I was panicking over nothing but if the ram was bad I wanted to sort it out now I know for sure that it's not.

seems pretty stable ,but I dont mind going back to auto settings if it crashes ,because it works fine with those settings .

I won't count my chickens till they are hatched but i think it's a case for job done, Case closed . THnks for all your help, I will certainly reccommend Corsair memory despite what i said in any other posts.

Very Kind regards

APollo:):

Archived