Corsair Community

Asus P5B Deluxe+TWIN2X2048-6400

calpon

I have had all kinds of problems OCing with this setup. Using C2D E6600, P5B del and Twin2X2048-6400 c5, running 2 seagate 250G in raid. The first set of sticks had 1 bad one and that was RMA'd and the new set passed testing at stock settings.

I am posting in a new thread at the suggestion of specmike.

I tried the suggestion 2.1V and turning off legacy USB and the other settings listed for the combination in the other thread. This had no impact on the errors that I was getting in memtest and Prime 95. I also need to have leagcy USB active, so this wasn't perfect advice for me. I tried it anyway to no avail.

The settings provided by a poster in the other thread (pg 3 or 4) worked for me to a degree(5,5,5,12,3,45, and so on). I am able to OC to 2.9 or so using either 9X333 or 7X425 using the stock HS and fan. I am having problems with my DVD drive taking several minutes to spin up when a deic is inserted, but I believe this to be a mobo problem.

I would like to OC higher when I get some aftermarket air cooling and would like to get to 3.5 or 3.6.

Apperantly this mobo has problem in the 430-460 fsb range and has a hard time OCing at this range. I would like to use a 8X450 setting to utilize a faster memory than a 9X401 to aceive 3.6. I could live with 7X500 to get to 3.5, but I don't think this memory can get me there. From my testing, anything over 425 fsb with a 1:1 ratio gets errors in memtest. (any other ratio gives hundreds of errors in memtest).

I am concerned that not being able to vary the memory setting in NB will prevent me from OCing like I thought I would be able to with PC6400 memory. I paid extra money for the ability to run at higher memory speeds.

Would I be better off trying to return this memory and get TWIN2X2048-6400c4 (I would have purchased this if I would have known about this website and understood there was a problem with my memory and this mobo)?

Even here I might still have problems because of who they get the chips for this memory from. I have read that they are not as OCable as the Micron sourced chips. Would I be better off with another brand completely?

• Corsair Employees
Please Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and then test the modules again with the Voltage set to 2.1 Volts and the tested settings set manually! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure! And as you over clock the CPU you will need to underslock the memory so its running in sync with the CPU. But try the default settings first and lets make sure you dont have a failing module and you will have to set Legacy USB to disabled when running any memory test with most ASUS MB's!

Please Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and then test the modules again with the Voltage set to 2.1 Volts and the tested settings set manually! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure! And as you over clock the CPU you will need to underslock the memory so its running in sync with the CPU. But try the default settings first and lets make sure you dont have a failing module and you will have to set Legacy USB to disabled when running any memory test with most ASUS MB's!

I did all this...as my post above alluded to...it did not help...I failed memtest with the settings listed in the sticky. (both stock and overclock)

I could pass memtest at stock with the memory set to auto, but no other way. The only way I could overclock was with the 5-5-5-12-6-42-3-11-5-14 settings reported in the other post. I can get to 425 x 7 (850), so yes it is reaching just past stated 800. I can't get any higher than this or I fail memtest. When I bought this memory, it was with the intent of reaching memory speeds of between 900-950. ( my hope was 7 X 500).

I didn't know of this great site before I bought this memory or I would have tried something different. Now, after reading here and elsewhere, I see this mobo and memory don't get along.

I am getting aftermarket cooling for Christmas so I am not trying to get any higher than the 3.0 I am at now. After I get the cooling, I'd like to bump up to 3.5 (7 x 500) or 3.6. Yes, I can get there abouts (I think) with the lower FSB, but I was really after the higher bandwidth FSB otherwise I would have paid for value memory.

Let me preface this next part by stating that I know that incompatibility between the mobo and memory is not Corsair's issue. This concern is the ability to over clock.

I am not b......g and moaning (too much), because I can get it to work at the rated speed (not easily). I had no concerns with Corsair due to previous purchases and on reputation (hence never needing to look for this site), so I was really expecting more out of this memory. Now with the discovery of the Promo chips being used in the higher end products, it seems that Corsair will begin to lose some of its rep among the enthusiasts.

Questions:

1. Is this 425 FSB (850)on a 1:1 ratio all I can expect out of this memory?

2. If the issue with my mobo/memory combination is not resolved, am I stuck with 5-5-5-12-6-42-3-11-5-14? ( leaves me with less flexibility)

3. Would I be better off with the 6400 C4 or Dominator memory, or will the switch to Promo's keep me from OC the memory as I have read on MANY sites?

Thanks for the interest and response. I hope these issues can be resolved.

• Corsair Employees

Its probably not the memory holding you back!

And Please Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and then test the modules again with the Voltage set to 2.1 Volts and the tested settings set manually! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure, with Legacy USB set to Disabled.

And Please Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and then test the modules again with the Voltage set to 2.1 Volts and the tested settings set manually! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure, with Legacy USB set to Disabled.

Is this just something pasted at the end of all your responses or are you just trying to irritate me? .....I've mentioned several times that I did this already with no luck.

Can you try to answer questions 1-3 in the earlier reply?

I am not trying to be a problem, I just want to know which way to go from here to OC a little higher.

Thanks

You will find that your ability to overclock with 6400C4 (4 - 4 - 4 - 12) on a higher ratio will be far easier. I have personally found that your dram needs 2.2V as well.

I can not make very high on the overclock with the 6400C5's. Keep in mind that the 6400C5's are low to mid-line on the performance of the 800MHz DRAM and are not considered "Overclocking Dram", just good performing dram that performs higher than the more lower value price. Compare the price of the 6400C5's against the 5300 Value DRAM.

Corsair DDR2 5300 (667) Value Dram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145098 at $206.99USD 2 strips of 1GB.

Corsair DDR2 6400C5 (800) 5 - 5 - 5 - 12:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590 at 280.00USD for 2 strips of 1GB

On the 800MHz bus the 6400C5's will do fine but if you want to do overclocking and also gain tight timings, then you need to purchase better dram such as the 6400C4's which are now at the mid-line price/performance match.

I can pretty much make 1000Mhz at 5 - 5 - 5 - 15 with the 6400C4 (4 - 4 - 4 - 12) but you have to keep in mind that when you purchase ram at a certain level, they are only guarenteed at that level. In other words, the 6400C4's are only guarenteed to make 800Mhz with 4 - 4 - 4 - 12. Any other increase is in the realm of the overclocker and we "Pays our Money, and Takes Our Chances). One set of 6400C4's that I purchased only made 900Mhz. The other set made 1000Mhz. Two other 6400C4 sets that I purchased for system creations both made the 1000Mhz. However, there is no guarentee. To get guarenteed 1000Mhz you have to purchase the 1066 models. For me, that's no fun. As an enthusiast I want to 800Mhz modules that make 1000Mhz. :D:

It's a tough go as one needs to research the parts so well to make a good marriage of cpu/board/dram.

I still make mistakes with my research and learn from them. I guess that's the issue with Enthusiasts. We demand the best we can get and we get the best that we research. I can give you a listing of the processors and motherboards, etc. that I have bought and did not research well enough to find the ultimate marriage.

I am getting better though. :)

DerekT,

Thanks for verifying that I am at about the best I can get with memory OC.

This is my first OC. I thought I did a decent amount of research before I got these parts. Memory was the last thing I was concerned about because of previous experience with previous OC's (My brother built my previous systems with Corsiar memory). I bought my memory from a reputable internet source (sounds like something for breakfast), but they are not able to take the memory back at this point because it is not faulty. I guess one lives and learns. I certainly cannot drop another $300 or so on memory at this point, so I will just have to do the best I can with what I've got.

I am disappointed with my choice, not with Corsair, but the memory I chose. I was looking forward to a great build that I achieved on my own and now I am going to just settle with OK. It's too bad that there isn't a trade up option like the jewelry store I buy my wife's gifts from!8) Again-live and learn-next time research memory options much more ;}

I'll tell ya though that I am a little confused by the RamGuys responses. I read the sticky's and through the rest of the forum before posting here, but I still got the parrot act from him. I guess they are just too busy to see the whole post before responding.

After reading this and thinking in may sound a bit more harsh than intended, I wanted to edit with this:

I have read through many posts here and the Corsair people do seem to be concerned with problems their customers maybe having and seem to be genuine when trying to help. Hence, the use of the word "confused". I truly never got a useful response from Ram Guy that I didn't already know from reading other posts on the forum

DerekT,

Thanks for verifying that I am at about the best I can get with memory OC.

This is my first OC. I thought I did a decent amount of research before I got these parts. Memory was the last thing I was concerned about because of previous experience with previous OC's (My brother built my previous systems with Corsiar memory). I bought my memory from a reputable internet source (sounds like something for breakfast), but they are not able to take the memory back at this point because it is not faulty. I guess one lives and learns. I certainly cannot drop another $300 or so on memory at this point, so I will just have to do the best I can with what I've got.

I am disappointed with my choice, not with Corsair, but the memory I chose. I was looking forward to a great build that I achieved on my own and now I am going to just settle with OK. It's too bad that there isn't a trade up option like the jewelry store I buy my wife's gifts from!8) Again-live and learn-next time research memory options much more ;}

I can understand totally since I have done exactly the same thing. I spent far more time on CPU and board and much of the reason was that I was not up with the DRAM "times" and they have indeed changed within the last few years.

I'll tell ya though that I am a little confused by the RamGuys responses. I read the sticky's and through the rest of the forum before posting here, but I still got the parrot act from him. I guess they are just too busy to see the whole post before responding.

Please try and keep in mind that RamGuy is a very busy man. We are all human and subject to the stresses, etc. that life can bring upon us. Please accept my (few years) knowledge of dealing with RamGuy. I can tell you that he is one of the best people I have met when dealing with RMA issues. Corsair and RamGuy are the reason I come here and in my small way, try and help.

Have you tried setting your CPU Multiplier to 8 X and your FSB to 400? This will give you 3.2GHz and you should make that fine with that DRAM. Set your DRAM to 5 - 5 - 5 - 15.

Download Core Temp:

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/CoreTemp.zip

What is your VID? Do you have your CPU Box? If so, look to the FPO/Batch. What does it say? Something such as L28A....

Have you tried setting your CPU Multiplier to 8 X and your FSB to 400? This will give you 3.2GHz and you should make that fine with that DRAM. Set your DRAM to 5 - 5 - 5 - 15.

Download Core Temp:

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/CoreTemp.zip

What is your VID? Do you have your CPU Box? If so, look to the FPO/Batch. What does it say? Something such as L28A....

DerekT,

8X400 temps out too high (68C on CoreTemp) after minute or two and then Prime 95 Fails. That passes memtest...Up to 425 FSB I am fine as far as memtest is concerned. I'd like to use the highest FSB as possible for faster memory.

I am getting aftermarket cooling soon and will use 8x400 or 8x425.

When I put on the new HS/fan I'll look at the week...Box is gone.

I would look to either the Thermaltake BigTyphoon. There are a few coolers out there that are a few degrees more efficient but the BigTyphoon blows much air down on the motherboard creating airflow on the MOSFETS and the PWM's. There are also the Scythe Infinity and Tuniq Tower that are good heatsink/fan units.

Here's mine:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Ropey123/HPIM0092.jpg

I get 45/47 folding on both cores. I get 53/55 with dual Orthos Prime testing. I find that the temperature increase from 3.2 to 3.4 (4 X 800 vs 4 X 854) was very marked so I keep my system at 3.2 even though both pass Orthos Prime for 24 hours. I'm hitting 65C with dual Orthos Prime and 3.4Ghz on my BigTyphoon.

I would not advise any "Clip On" heatsink models. There are some new models that do not connect to the motherboard via bolts but which "Clip On". This is not a good idea. The new BigTyphoon (with a VX model designation) is NOT a good choice as is not any model with Push Pins.

Be careful to research your cooler. If you are on a *gasp* stock cooler, then I would not go any further than 300 X 9 for now. When you get a good cooler we can help you to gain a good overclock.

Did you download and run Core Temp? What is your VID setting in Core Temp?

I would look to either the Thermaltake BigTyphoon. There are a few coolers out there that are a few degrees more efficient but the BigTyphoon blows much air down on the motherboard creating airflow on the MOSFETS and the PWM's. There are also the Scythe Infinity and Tuniq Tower that are good heatsink/fan units.

Here's mine:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Ropey123/HPIM0092.jpg

I get 45/47 folding on both cores. I get 53/55 with dual Orthos Prime testing. I find that the temperature increase from 3.2 to 3.4 (4 X 800 vs 4 X 854) was very marked so I keep my system at 3.2 even though both pass Orthos Prime for 24 hours. I'm hitting 65C with dual Orthos Prime and 3.4Ghz on my BigTyphoon.

I would not advise any "Clip On" heatsink models. There are some new models that do not connect to the motherboard via bolts but which "Clip On". This is not a good idea. The new BigTyphoon (with a VX model designation) is NOT a good choice as is not any model with Push Pins.

Be careful to research your cooler. If you are on a *gasp* stock cooler, then I would not go any further than 300 X 9 for now. When you get a good cooler we can help you to gain a good overclock.

Did you download and run Core Temp? What is your VID setting in Core Temp?

I have ordered the Scythe Infinity as the Tuniq Tower is still out of stock. I get great airflow with Antec P180B. The Scythe fan blows toward the top mounted fan on this case.

With dual Prime 95 running for 9hrs, my max temp reached 63C with 425x7 (2.975). The VID is 1.3250. When I run my image software(RAW file processing), which is processor intensive, I never get any higher than 55C. Doom3 is the latest game I run(I am not much of a PC gamer) and I never go any higher than low 50's.

You will be fine there until you move to the Scythe Infinity. Test your IHS for a concave characteristic as many are concave. The test is simple. Put a layer (light) of toothpaste on the IHS and the a flat board with a piece of paper tightly covering it (or any very flat object).

Press down on the IHS and lift straight up. Is there an edge of toothpaste on the paper and the middle is clear? If so, you will want to lap your IHS to gain a better connection. The cores are in the middle and if the IHS is concave (many are) you will have a far hotter running CPU than if it was flat or if you lapped it.

Regard for research:

http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/memory/memory_timings/index_3.shtml

Archived