Corsair Community

PC3200 compatible with PC2100?

apark5

current setup:

intel P4 2.53Ghz

mobo #D845EBT

512MB DDR RAM (PC2100)

i'm already bought a 512MB DDR400 (PC3200) RAM from corsair (VS512MB400) since the crucial memory advisor said that it would be compatible. but after researching further on the corsair website, i'm a bit worried that it won't be compatible. my question is, is it compatible? and will i see a major improvement from this upgrade?

thanks,

andy

I don't know what motherboard you have, but I'm assuming it's an OEM system (ie Dell, Gateway, eMachines, etc). It should just run at the lower speed of your computer's default.

In this case, the module will be compatible BY ITSELF. If you wanted to add it to the existing memory, you'd have to go with System Select, such as CMS512-266 for PC2100 memory.

PLUR

CK

Since you've already bought a VS512MB400 module, you may as well install it and see if it'll work! If it does, count yourself lucky, otherwise you'll really need to look at System Select modules. It won't hurt the memory to see if it'll work, but sometimes the system won't want to reboot or will give you a strange error if something did happen.

This is easy to fix! In your manual should be a way to reset the CMOS. This will fix the problem.

Either way, the PC3200 module should run at the PC2100 speed (memory runs only as fast as the slowest component).

PLUR

CK

Archived