Corsair Community

Vs1gb533d2 + Asus M2npv-vm

hans_eberhart

Installed a brand new stick VS1GB533D2 into an ASUS M2NPV-VM (new out of the box with upadated BIOS). Memory was "recommended" by Corsair so it should be compatible with mobo. Systems boots up fine, goes through POST but when it comes time to install XP I get a fatal error (could not install product catalog). Ran memtest and get lots of errors in test 2,6, and 7. BIOS settings are all default and I'm just getting this thing up and running. Looks like I need a new stick. What do you think?

Hans

• Corsair Employees
Do you have a spare video card you can install in this motherboard? I have seen errors in memtest when users are running the onboard video(conflict with memtest). Just to be safe I would try the second slot too if it fails in the first slot.

I don't have a spare video card - only have laptops around. I have also tried the "Windows Memory Diagnostic" tool (part of their on-line crash analysis thing) and it also shows errors. I doubt that two independent memory diagnostic tools would suffer the same weakness of being duped by shared video memory.

Hans

The mobo only has two settings (1.9V and AUTO). According to the Corsair website these sticks should be compatible with this board - I specifically checked for it. In any case, running at either setting with default on everything else still generates a whole lot of errors.

I did notice that errors pretty much all (didn't go through all of the thousands of entries) occur near the 990MB location. This is somewhat interesting in that the system allocates 991MB RAM out of 1024MB (since it has integrated video).

My conclusion is that either the memory is busted or the memory is not compatible with the board and its integrated video memory allocation (contrary to the Corsair claim).

I don't have another board with DDR2 to test the memory in.

Hans

• Corsair Employees
Since all errors occur near the 990MB mark would direct to a conflict between memtest and the onboard video. So regardless wghich modules you install, I would expect errors. I have had users use this combination with no issues. Have you tried this CD on another system? or try another optical drive.

I'm getting too frustrated with this combination. At this point I am getting a different mobo - without integrated video. Most problems were pointing in that direction.

I don't think memtest was the problem. Windows wouldn't install because of memory related errors. It might be that these errors are related to onboard video memory.

Hopfeully, this stick will work out of the box with this new and different mobo.

Hans

I just tested the module in a different Mobo (ASRock ALive NF6G-DVI). I ran memtest under a few differnet settings and they all gave me errors.

Here is what I tried:

- system default

- RAM voltage (normal, high, ultra-high - manufacturer doesn't specify what voltages these actually are)

- force speed to 533

- force CAS latencies

- ran under a compatiblilty method under BIOS for better RAM compatibility

This board uses a PciE video card so I don't have the shared memory scenario anymore.

Once I get into test 5 I get LOTS of errors.

I really think there is something wrong with the memory now that it has failed on two different motherboards.

Hans

Hi Hans,

It's looking like there is a problem with the memory. If you are running the stock settings for PC4200 (DDR 533) with the proper timings then I can't see there being anything else but the memory. Especially if you are getting the same issue in both cases.

In the second system, do you happen to recall if the memory was failing around the same mark, or was it a different spot?

In your existing system, if you run each module one at a time, do you get errors with one but not the other?

If you feel it is the memory that is going bad, then I would recommend you follow the link in RAM GUY's signature and use the TS Xpress.

Sadly it happens that memory sometimes fails. Hopefully you can at least run one stick and get your system up and running while the other is replaced.

The problem is that I got a single stick of 1GB DDR2 (since I was planning to upgrade to 2GB in the near future but not just yet). I can't swap and compare or just run stick because of that.

The errors occur throughout the range of about 250MB to 850MB (I think about 40K errors after a first pass on test 5 in memtest - memory block move).

I'm pretty convinced myself that it is a memory issue.

Hans

Archived