Corsair Community

Adding XMS to ASUS P4C800 Deluxe & CMX512-3500C2

David Alphson

RAM GUY,

I have a P4C800 Deluxe motherboard and two CMX512-3500C2 modules currently installed - never a problem encountered for three years running. Now, I need to increase my RAM, and I will eventually upgrade my processor from the P4 3.06GHz with 533MHz system bus to something with an 800MHz bus. Any advice?

Thanks for the help. The P4C800 Deluxe has a maximum capacity of 4GB of memory. The configurator chose TWINX2048-3200C2PT for my motherboard, but that is only 2GB. Are there any drawbacks to getting two sets of TWINX2048-3200C2PT (4GB) to max out my machine? Is there a better option?

Thanks for the help. The P4C800 Deluxe has a maximum capacity of 4GB of memory. The configurator chose TWINX2048-3200C2PT for my motherboard, but that is only 2GB. Are there any drawbacks to getting two sets of TWINX2048-3200C2PT (4GB) to max out my machine? Is there a better option?

There is no good way to run 4GB on a strictly 32-bit platform such as yours. This is because all 32-bit processors and operating systems reserve the upper registers of the 4GB for hardware PCI interrupts. As a result, even though you have 4GB of memory installed, your system will see only about 3GB or even less, depending on how many devices you have installed. Moreover, no i8xx-series chipset-based platform supports any memory modules larger than 1GB in size.

In addition, on an i875P-based system, installing more than four ranks of memory (four 512MB or larger XMS series DDR1 modules will result in a whopping eight ranks of memory) will disable PAT, and may require you to manually set the memory clockspeed in the BIOS to DDR400 speed as many motherboards will default to DDR333 speed.

Archived