Corsair Community

I need to find if VS1GBKIT333 is compatible with my mobo

zotbat

Hi. I really didn't know where to stick this. I want to purchase VS1GBKIT333, but in the compatitbilty finder my mobo isn't listed. It's an ASRock K7VM3. I want to stick some VS1GBKIT333 in it. It looks compatible in and out, but you can never be too sure.

thanks

Not knowing what CPU you have, the RAM might have to clocked to 266MHz.

It's an AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 2.0 ghz. I'm running 384 megs of 2700 in there right now, FSB is at 333 mhz, so I should be OK. I don't buy RAM very often, but it seems like people always have trouble that, even though their RAM looks like it should be perfectly compatible, it isn't; for whatever reason. Sometimes it's it's the timings, sometimes it's other stuff like mxing brands and so forth. I'm pretty knowledgable about hardware, I guess, but it seems, more often than not, that when people have issues with RAM they can never fully figure out why. I am not going to order until the end of the week, but I'm just trying look ahead beforehand, especially as my mobo isn't listed. I'm also going to doublecheck with the supplier when I order as well.

While I'm on the subject, I had another question, if you please. You can run a faster speed RAM than the mobo is rated for, is that correct? If I take a stick of DDR 400 and stick it in a board that is rated at its highest for DDR 333, it'll still run, right? Only at 333? This question is not imperative, but I'm looking at future upgrades; just wondering.

Yes, you may install a 400MHZ RAM but it will operate at 333MHZ. I would not advise mixing and matching in the same system.

Right. I read that somewhere, and now I forgot why?:confused: It has something to do with buffering I think (or something like that?), but that it has to be something that the mobo supports, which mine does not. In fact, I'm not even going to use the current RAM I have, as I only have 2 banks.

As long as I have your attention, I'd like to bleed you all for one more answer. This pertains to Corsair memory directly.

I'd like to get some quality RAM. Generally, people think that the more money you shell out, the better quality you get. But one thing I have noticed Corsair Memory (and memory in general) is the different tiers of RAM; that there is high-end and low-end kinds. For instance, in the PC3200 class, there are various low and higher end makes and models, if you will (sounds like...a car:!:). What I'm getting at, is would I get better QUALITY RAM buying the high-end PC2700 versus the lower-end PC3200? Or would even be visa versa? Unfortunately, as it seems, PC2700 is becoming a little obselete as well.

The best I have found for my particular configuration is the Value RAM that I have chosen:

# CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT333

Cas Latency: 2.5

Heat Spreader: No

Voltage: 2.5V

But, I'm interested in this:

* CORSAIR 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 433 (PC 3500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWINX1024-3500LLPRO - Retail

Buffered/Registered: Unbuffered

Cas Latency: 2

ECC: No

Features: WITH LED ACTIVITY LIGHTS

Heat Spreader: Yes

Timing: 2-3-2-6

Voltage: 2.75V

I couldn't find the exact timings for the value, but anyway, what's better for my money? Is the XMS high quality?

Archived