Corsair Community

I have a bad stick of RAM

apocalyp

I bought 2 sticks of V8512MB400C3 when I initially build my system and lately I had been getting errors like "memory fault detected" in quickpar. I proceed to try memtest with both sticks in lots of errors I tried each stick with only one of them in the system and one passes without errors and the other has regularly climbing errors.

Motherboard K8V-MX

Bios revision: 0209

PSU: Enermax 450W

All the options for power are at auto and none seem to be specific for the memory.

I feel the problem is pretty evident however since the tes was done with 2 identical sticks of ram placed in the same bank, and the tests with stick A fails miserably and the tests with stick B passes no problem.

It may very well be the memory. However, I'd rather take a few troubleshooting steps and possibly find an overlooked issue other than the memory, as oppposed to asking you to ship your memory away for an RMA when the memory is not the problem. This way, if there is an easy solution, you are up and running quickly.

When running Memtest on ASUS MOBOs you must disable Legacy USB Support in the bios as Memtest conflicts with this setting. Please set your memory voltage to 2.7v and set the timings manually to 3,3,3,8 and test each module individually for 5-10 passes each.

Archived