Corsair Community

Three long beeps -- memory error

bungale

I recently bought:

- 2 x Corsair Value Select vs1gb667d2 memory modules for a total of 2 GB RAM

- Intel® Desktop Board DQ965GFEKR, and

- Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600

The Corsair Memory Configurator told me that this memory was going to be compatible with my Intel motherboard -- that is how I decided to buy vs1gb667d2 memory.

As soon as I power on the system, I am getting three long beeps. The motherboard manual says this error code stands for "Memory error". Can you please help me with this problem?

Thanks.

Thank you for your prompt response. What exactly do you mean by "better quality power supply with a higher power rating"? I had assumed 400W would be enough for such a configuration. Can you pelase suggest a particular power supply that I should be buying?

Thanks!

Based on past experience Ultra PSUs have not been of high quality. With your system, I'd suggest a better quality PSU as lower quality and/or dirty power can cause instability such as what you are seeing.

I am not 100% certain of this as we are troubleshooting. That is why I'd suggest testing with another PSU if you can. If you can, test with a Corsair PSU, an Enermax, FSP, Sparkle, or Seasonic with a minimum of 400w rating. This may or may not solve the issue but it is a logical step in isolating the issue here.

I tried retrying with just one DIMM, but I still continue to get the three long beeps!

Also, I was looking at the technical specifications manual for my desktop board (Intel DQ965GF) and it said that only the following memory configurations would be supported:

The configurations are listed under the following 5-column order:

DIMM Type, SDRAM Technology, Smallest usable DIMM (one x16 Single-sided

DIMM), Largest usable DIMM (one x8 Double-sided DIMM), Maximum capacity

with four identical x8 Double-sided DIMMs):

DDR2 533, 256 Mbit, 128 MB, 512 MB, 2 GB

DDR2 533, 512 Mbit, 256 MB, 1 GB, 4 GB

DDR2 533, 1 Gbit, 512 MB, 2 GB, 8 GB

DDR2 667, 256 Mbit, 128 MB, 512 MB, 2 GB

DDR2 667, 512 Mbit, 256 MB, 1 GB, 4 GB

DDR2 667, 1 Gbit, 512 MB, 2 GB, 8 GB

DDR2 800, 256 Mbit, 128 MB, 512 MB, 2 GB

DDR2 800, 512 Mbit, 256 MB, 1 GB, 4 GB

Do you think the memory DIMM's I bought (Corsair vs1gb667d2) meets the requirement of at least 512 Mbit SDRAM technology as stated above? Do you see anything missing?

Thanks!

The memory is compatible with your MOBO. It's your PSU I am worried about. Is the Ultra unit a newer unit with the 24 pin ATX plug or, are you using an adapter? Also, could you please list the complete specifications on your PSU for that specific revision of the PSU?

Also, does your MOBO have a secondary 4 pin or 8 pin molex plug in addition to the 24 pin ATX? If so, do you have these plugged in properly?

Actually, the PSU does not have the newer 24-pin ATX plug. It just has a 20-pin plug, and my motherboard manual said it is all right if I simply connect the 20-pin plug to the right-most 20 pins on the motherboard. So, I have just done that, i.e., I'm not even using an adaptor.

Yes, my motherboard does have an additional 4-pin plug in addition to the 24-pin ATX plug. And, yes, I have plugged this in properly as well.

And, here are the specifications for my PSU:

Ultra / X-Connect / 400-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / Titanium-Black / UV Clear Sides / Modular Power Supply

Item #: ULT33161 (TigerDirect.com)

AC INPUT: 115V/230V 10A/6A 60/50Hz

DC OUTPUT: +3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5V +5VSB

30A 32A 16A 0.8A 0.3A 2A

400W

Max Combined Watts: 400W

Connectors

* 1x 20-Pin Main Power

* 1x 6-Pin AUX (Xeon) Power

* 1x 4-Pin 12V (P4)

* 6x 4-Pin Peripheral

* 2x SATA Power

* 1x Floppy

Thanks again for all your help!

Good call Mike!

It looks like your PSU only has a 16A 12 volt rail which falls short of what you'd need for that system.

Also, though your motherboard will run w/ only the 20-pin connector, it's not really designed to do so. I highly suggest you get a new ATX v2.0 power supply of around 500 Watts with at least 24A on the 12 volt rail.

I personally like PC Power and Cooling, but the Corsair HX520 would suit you as well.

PLUR

CK

• 3 weeks later...

After so many days, I finally received my Silencer 470 ATX from PC Power & Cooling today (it was apparently on back-order till recently!). I quickly installed the power supply and made all the connections, only to find that the three long beeps problem still persists! Is it the memory that is causing this problem? Please help me! I need to get this done within the next few days before I leave the U.S. for a trip!

Thanks,

Prashanth

Are the beeps all of the same duration?

Have you another keyboard? If so, remove your keyboard and install the other one. Does your system boot correctly?

Have you a PCI-e or PCI Video card? If so, disable your onboard video and try to boot with a PCI or PCI-e video card.

Yes, the beeps are all of the same duration.

I even tried connecting my other keyboard.

I don't have a PCI card. But, the Intel motherboard manual clearly says that the three long beeps mean a "Memory error". Can you please tell me whether the "SDRAM technology" is 256 Mbit or 512 Mbit or 1 Gbit for the memory I bought, i.e., Corsair vs1gb667d2? Because, the manual says that in the case of DDR2 667, 256 Mbit SDRAM technology RAM, the largest usable DIMM is 512 MB. Maybe that's the error I'm getting? I could not find anything else. Please help me!.

Thanks,

Prashanth

Three long beeps can be a memory error due to the shared vga memory cache for the onboard video. As well, your motherboard has many built in small chip caches that will have a return of the same three beeps. Be clear, this could well be a motherboard issue. PCI video cards can be found at any mom & pop shop and usually they will just be given to you as they are pretty much worthless today.

Have you tried a single stick of this dram? You have two sticks. If both sticks return the same issue then I would say that your issue is very likely with some other component.

As I said, this error return has many more characteristics than a simple main system DRAM error. It is often due to keyboard cache, onboard VGA cache and/or other mainboard built on memory caches.

Why would I need to buy a PCI card when my mothrboard has a built-in video card? I cannot understand why a brand new motherboard would come with a memory error in its vga memory cache.

Yes, I have tried putting both the sticks alone separately. That didn't work either.

If I start up the machine with no memory sticks at all, I get the same three beeps. That would tell me that the three long beeps are probably pointing to the memory.

By the way, I didn't see the answer to my previous question. Can you please tell me whether the "SDRAM technology" is 256 Mbit or 512 Mbit or 1 Gbit for the memory I bought, i.e., Corsair vs1gb667d2?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help during this troubleshooting process!

Your Dimms are 128MBx64 SDRAM technology.

If you insert one stick and get the three beeps, remove it, install the other stick and get the three beeps, and then remove all sticks and get the three beeps, this leads me to think that the issue is in fact motherboard related.

I began work as a board level technician in 1976. Even though I do not work in this arena and have not for many years, you might wish to "try" what I say rather than discounting it immediately. Investigation is what will isolate the issue and bring you a working system. Discounting possibilities will serve to have you a longer term non working system. We do not know what is the issue yet although I would personally put my money on the board, but at any rate, if you install another stick of standard ram and the same issue occurs then you can pretty much move on to the board as the problem.

Do you mean 128 Mbit SDRAM technology? Because the motherboard manual says only 256 Mbit, 512 Mbit and 1 Gbit SDRAM technology is compatible with my board.

I didn't discount anything. I was just trying to understand what the reasons may be for such things to happen.

I really appreciate your help with my questions.

Thanks!

Archived