Corsair Community

Memory Failure

swammie

I bought two VS1GSDS333 modules from Newegg.com about six months ago or so for my HP Pavilion dv4150us laptop. Up until about four weeks ago I had been using these modules without any problems. At about that time I brought my computer out of sleep mode one day and after 5 seconds or so the whole system froze. After trying fruitlessly for a while to persuade the system to unfreeze I finally had to cold boot the system. From that point on is was nothing but repeated BSOD's after each reboot until I finally removed the correct memory module from the system. After that everything booted fine and ran fine on the remaining VS1GSDS333 module for about one week. Then suddenly the whole scenario I just mentioned above happened again. To make a long story shorter I removed that last module and put back in my OEM 256 x 2 modules for a total of 512MB. Needlessly to say everything has been working great now for the past three weeks with no symptoms of any pending problems.

BIOS - unchanged from original factory settings - everything set to auto.

What would you suggest I do?

As you requested I tested each memory module. I decided it would be best to test them individually, so that is what I did. Since each pass took about an hour I only did one pass per module. Actually, I couldn't even get the second module to complete a whole pass. By 87% into test 2 on the second module it just kept freezing up the whole test. I had to cold boot to get out of it. As for the first module by the time I ran through all the tests on the first pass there was 1,277,952 errors. Pretty much tells me that the module is not working correctly. I also ran the memtest on the OEM 512MB of ram I have been using now for comparison sake just to make sure there is not a problem with the northbridge, and everything tested great.

I appreciate your quick responses. I have gone ahead and requested an RMA number as you suggested. I am very thankful that Corsair stands behind their product with such a great warranty. I will continue to use and recommend your products to everyone. Thanks!

Archived