Corsair Community

Bad XMS 4400

Jakalwarrior

I bought this ram a long long time ago for a ton of money lol (had to have latest and greatest). For a long time it played friendly with my Geil 4400. Then things started going south. It couldnt handle near the clocks it used to (250 @ 2.5-3-3-7 2.7v). Next thing I know it pretty much wont work in dual channel at all. I thought it was the geil it was paired with since in the beginning it was the weaker of the two and its just plain not as good. Now it wont play with any other sticks at all.

They are mixed but they worked great together for a year or more. As far as I know both are TCCD. They both used to be capable of 275 @ 2.5-3-3-7 1t paired up in dual channel mode. After a while it would only do 250, then 225. Now they aren't happy in dual channel mode at anything more than 133. The corsair stick acts the same when paried with any other memory while the other works with anything I pair it with (Atleast at DD400 stock). For the longest time I thought it was my memory controller going south since it is only in dual channel mode but I tried 3 different chips in two different motherboards and got the same result in each.

Only stable setting if I pair the corsair with any other ram (the other TCCD, the nanya, micron, or elixir).

3-4-4-15 2t @ 133mhz

Anything more makes blue sceen errors and memtest errors.

Ill see if I can get it to make an error solo though. I know it will go higher than that but I didn't really test its bounds.

In any case, we can only guarantee our module to meet its spex individually or as a pair in a TwinX pair. When mixing modules (especially other brands) there are simply too many variables that can cause issues.

Also, if you have noticed a degredation of performance over time and the modules themselves are not defective, you may have a power related issue. Is your PSU solid? Since you are mixing memory, this issue may be hard to trace.

Ok, I made things simplier. Tested the corsair by its self and it cant come near the rated speeds anymore. Tested with other stick of ram to prove the system can still be stable at those settings. (Also traded out powersupplies).

Okie my results from that. I didnt do memtest because im far too lazy to spend the hours. I don't care about my windows install so I put it on the line for testing.

Corsair XMS4400 270mhz @ 2.5-4-4-7 1t 2.7vdimm

Usually will not boot to windows. If it does it crashes right away.

Corsair XMS4400 270mhz @ 3-4-4-9 2t 2.7vdimm

Same thing, will not load windows or crashes right after

Just to prove its not the memory controller, chip stability, or motherboard issue.

Other Memory stick 270mhz @ 3-4-4-9 2.7vdimm 2t (rated for 2.85 but bios caps off at 2.7). It will test indefinetly. I found that out in my earlier testing but for the purposes of just this screen shot I decided not to run it for hours on end. It wont wing 1t but it also isn't rated for it and never has. The pair together would used to do these settings though I got better bandwidth running them at 250ish with 1t so they usually stayed there.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/oic0/Temp%20Pics/ggel.jpg

• Corsair Employees
Let's get the RAM replaced. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum!

Archived