Corsair Community

Defective XMS2 -8500 (TWIN2X1024-8500) Never again...

Th3VVraith

Just going through the formality of posting. I have a bad stick of memory and need an RMA. (actually both are bad, but one is completely dead now)

System ran fine, but always had a reboot or 2 now and then, (system would just restart, I had to drop the memory setting from the default 5.5.5.15 to 7.7.7.21 ( something like that) to prevent problems, obviously memory was bad to begin with)

Was writing up some work papers and "poof" the system shuts down, attempts to reboot, but won't post.

Went through the entire gamut of troubleshooting, (removed ALL hardware except for CPU and memory) still no boot. Powers up, fan spins on CPU, then nothing.

Took RAM out of board to test board, got memory beeps confirming board was functioning. put memory back in, nothing.

Put One stick back in, posted fine, and booted up when I re-connected a boot drive, and installed a video card. Put the OTHER stick in, nothing. Took BOTH out again (placed the one that had worked on its own to the side) and tried the second stick by itself, powered up, no post, nothing.

Simple, Bad stick of ram, memory has been bad since day one (never ran at it's specified timings, always had to loosen them up quite a bit for the ram to run at it's specified DDR2 1066 speed. Voltage was always kept at default 2.2 for these sticks. I don't have a need to overclock/overvolt anything with my setup, it's fast enough...

At this time, I need them replaced. $240+ memory shouldn't have problems like this. Not the first time I've had to get corsair ram replaced, and I have NEVER run them past what the specs are supposedly set at. Not happy. Time to go back to Mu5hk1n, and toss the corsair into my backup rig, Once i get it replaced...:mad:

As i stated in the first post, all settings are default (Auto) except for the memory timings, speed and voltage.

An update to the situation, with the system fully assembled together, once i get into bios with the working stick, if I increase the memory voltage to MAX (2.4 on my board) shut down and install the second stick, it WILL work, but, I get errors on memtest... Test 5 just locks up, EVERY time. with the one working stick, I pass all tests. (I let it run ALL night, woke up and it was still going)

The settings are as follows:

timings are 7.7.7.18 (made mistake in first post on last #, was thinking of something else), anything tighter, and windows will blue screen/restart after a few hours, or system will restart without warning when gaming, every time. Mem speed is set to "DDR2 1066" which is what it is supposed to run at, and the voltage is 2.2v (2.4v and the second dead stick works, but locks memtest on test #5 every time.

Even the SPD is programmed wrong, which may be a problem as well, because if I set the memory to "auto", system won't boot...

In the attached images, you can see the "CAS# Latency" on both sticks is 0.0, that is wrong. The TRC is 30, supposed to be "21", it's not, that is wrong as well. It's no wonder why the "auto" memory setting won't boot, SPD is NOT programmed correctly, add that to the timings needing to be set looser than what they are spec'ed for, and a dead stick that's never been overvolted (except to test, as of yesterday) or overclocked... unacceptable for $240+ memory. it's just overpriced PC2-6400 memory, (you can see that in the screenshots as well) that doesn't run as stated, and doesn't last long at it's intended spec. I hope when this gets replaced, I'll be given the correct memory I paid for...

mem1.gif.73e357e31fdf2bb4af60865115c93091.gif

mem2.gif.1752b3bcac244262e2c77b82c8a0035b.gif

• Corsair Employees
Cannot set the DDR Freqeuncy to native 1066MHZ. 800MHZ max and our results for the P5WDH max limit was at 1036MHZ DDR Frequency. The 975 Chipset is designed for CPU:DDR ratio of 1066MHZ:800MHZ max. The 8500C5 is an overclocking modules since no chipset natively supports 1066MHZ currently.

So then these ram modules shouldn't be labeled and sold as PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066), if they can't run at that spec. That would be false advertising. The 1Gb of P4tr10t PC2-8500 I have in my backup system works flawless at their intended specs in either of my P5W's (and then some), where the corsair does not. Does corsair have some other system of determining their values, as far as maximum stability? I don't think $170 memory should be better than $240 memory, if that be the case, then I want a refund, not an RMA. The statement you made doesn't make any sense, if the 975 chipset didn't support 1066, it wouldn't be an available option to set the memory to, natively, or not. Obviously it uses a devider, and like I said, my other brand memory works absolutely fine at those speeds, and higher in fact, these sticks, do not, and never have. Regardless, I have one dead, and one failing stick of corsair memory, and they need to be replaced, or refunded if in fact these aren't "intended" to be run at the advertised speed.

• Corsair Employees

The modules are not the limiting factor its your MB that will not reach 1066 on the memory! And if you have other memory working at 1066 I would like to see screen shots in CPU-Z. We have tested this MB with our modules and most of the modules on the market and know what it will do.

Also what are the exact settings you have set with the other modules?

But to be sure one is not failing can you test them one at a time and did you set the memory voltage to the tested settings? Cas 5-5-5-15 at 2.2 Volts

But to be sure one is not failing can you test them one at a time and did you set the memory voltage to the tested settings? Cas 5-5-5-15 at 2.2 Volts

I believe I answered that in my first & second post, neither stick has ever run reliably at 5.5.5.15, 2.2v... had to loosen timings up to 7.7.7.18 in order to keep system stable at first, now only one stick works at that setting,the other one needs max voltage just to get it to work, and it locks up memtest on test #5 every time.

The bad stick will only boot up if the voltage is MAXED out. at default voltage, system doesn't even post, just hangs there with the fans spinning on power up.

to answer the other question,

The other modules (p4tr10t) are set exactly how I have the corsair set, except for timings, those are 5.5.5.16, as they are spec'ed. Voltage is 2.2v, set to DDR2-1066.

As for a screenshot of the P4tr10t, I have one at the moment, and it's running fine on my other P5W, HIGHER, then what it's rated for...

Aside from the fact I now feel like i'm being called a liar, and having my intelligence insulted, this needs to get moving forward to a replacement/refund.

mem1a.gif.76b49f9343a1864bfae9b961642146dd.gif

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived