Corsair Community

Need Help with Thinkcentre E50

bleedinred

Hi All,

I'm in desperate need of help. Appreciate if anyone could help me out cos i couldn't find anything through forum search. I have an IBM Thinkcentre PC that has 256MB Nanya RAM. I wanted to put in more RAM and the guy at the local PC shop told me that Corsair Value Select RAM VS512MB533D2 was compatible. However, my pc has been shutting down occasionally and sometimes have trouble booting up. And now my Windows XP partition can't boot up.

Tried using just the Corsair RAM on it's own but again having the same problem.

Anyone can tell me if the Corsair RAM is compatible with my motherboard?

My CPU is Intel® Celeron® D 331 Processor, 2.66GHz, 533 FSB, 256KB L2 cache.

Really need help and thanks,

reds

With an OEM computer like that, you'd be better off using System Select modules.

However, the link you've provided me with doesn't seem to work and I'm having trouble finding your particular E50 desktops. Most don't seem to support DDR2, but since you've got the 915GV chipset, your's might actually support DDR1 and DDR2 (you should never use both at the same time though).

Please update the link!

PLUR

CK

With an OEM computer like that, you'd be better off using System Select modules.

However, the link you've provided me with doesn't seem to work and I'm having trouble finding your particular E50 desktops. Most don't seem to support DDR2, but since you've got the 915GV chipset, your's might actually support DDR1 and DDR2 (you should never use both at the same time though).

Please update the link!

PLUR

CK

Hi Candy Kid,

Thanks for replying.

My PC is a Thinkcentre E50 8294-KAB (New Link)

The original RAM module it had was 256MB DDR2 PC-4200 SDRAM so it should be supporting DDR2, right?

Thanks again,

reds

The VS512MB533D2 should work, but not in conjunction with your original modules.

To be honest, you'd be better of running System Select modules (google System Select PC4200 modules), but as for now, just install the VS module and run Memtest86+ to see if it's cropping up errors.

PLUR

CK

Again, thanks a lot for the reply, CandyKid

I've tried just using the VS module on on it's own. I have Memtest86 as one of my boot options. Here's what usually happens:

• First time using it, it's fine, no errors. When i reboot the PC, i can't load the operating system. PC just shuts down and restarts again. I can't even go into the MEMTEST86+ screen, it immediately shuts down and restarts again.

OR

• First time using it, PC shuts down and restarts on its own after some time. Then i have the same problem of can't boot up OS or even Memtest.

Thanks

Archived