Corsair Community

Possible defective RAM module. RMA??

HeeHaw5130

Hello. I am having problems with a 512MB module (product model: VS512MB400) that came from a two-stick, dual-channel memory kit I purchased (model: VS1GBKIT400). I already have one set of 512 sticks of the same dual-channel kit model running on the motherboard, and decided to use the last two memory slots to upgrade to 2GB. I am having problems with the second pair I am using to upgrade.

The pair in question has been in storage for a little while since I learned that Windows 98 (my old OS) would not support anything more than 1 gig of ram. Since I'm upgrading to Windows XP however, I brought them back out to install once more.

What's happening is that after I install this second pair and power on the machine, it locks up at POST just before it starts showing and verifying my CD-ROM and hard drive. After taking out the pair and leaving it at 1GB, it boots up normally. I put one stick back on the board, and it successfully reads 1.5GB. But when I replaced it with the other stick and power on, it does the same thing by locking up after my BIOS reads the ram count. Unless I have overloooked any other troubleshooting methods, I have determined that I have a bad memory module. Is it possible to RMA in this case?

• Corsair Employee

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

And with your configuration you have you need to set the memory frequency at DDR333 at Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.7 Volts manually or it will not work!

Alright, update. I had to do a power supply swap from my machine to another machine whose power supply recently went out. I bought a new 350 watt PSU, stuck it into my machine which had a 250W power supply up until now, and just to make for good measure I install the supposedly bad ram back into the machine.

It works! I don't know why, but after replacing a 250W with a 350W, it works! I rebooted a couple more times, and POST counts all 2048MBs of ram each and every time. It's pretty strange though, since if it were a power shortage problem, then the other stick of ram from this pair shouldn't have worked either, instead it did. Should I try and attempt a memtest on the suspicious stick? Or should I still do a return/exchange since this could just be a temporarily "good" stick?

Well, I did do a 5 pass memtest on the machine the other day, and with both pairs of ram sticks all installed. No errors or anything were detected, thank goodness. However, I really didn't know just how much power my video card requred. Are you serious?! 450 watts?! Just how much wattage does each stick of ram need?

Still, pretty strange that one module would work while another wouldn't.....

Archived