Corsair Community

ASUS Striker MB: 4 GB ok? Just get (2 quantity of?) TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF

Health Nut

Hi,

Somebody said they got no post with 4 GB of memory when using the latest MB using the TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF. Has anybody used 4 GB of this memory with the ASUS Striker motherboard? I asume this combination is about as good as you can get right now. I'm hoping that the ASUS Striker in combination with 4 GB of this memory can overclock itself to maximum... at least that is what my understanding... This combo along with a quad core should overclock itself as good as if an expert did it manually... Thoughts on all of what I have said? Opinions?

Thanks

Chris

So for ordering purposes, I just order Quantity (2) of: TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF to give me (4) GB? Do I have to use the matched pairs in each bank or could you just stick 4 of these 1 gig cards randomly in bank A and B?

Thank-you for your reply. A lot of this is not common sense so I rely on your insight and vast experience.

What would be your recommendation? Stick with 2 GB? Any advantage to having 4 GB?

Is there any point of having 4 GB, and if so, in what case could it outperform 2 GB running overclocked, assuming we are talking about your top of the line Dominator memory....

Thanks,

Chris

Overall advice needed as well!!!

I guess I'll stick with 2 GB...

I jus thought that Windows Ultimate might like to have 4GB instead of 2GB RAM. I guess I just thought I'd get an overall performance gain due to less 'virtual memory' and not having to access the hard drive....

So I take it if this was your cost no object setup running Windows Ultimate, you'd probably stick with 2 GB running at max overclock since that will yield higher overall performance than having 4GB running at 667 overclocked...

Does that sound correct? I just thought I'd be better off with 4GB so I wouldn't have to access the hard drive as much for 'virtual memory'...????

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

So Windows Vista Ultimate is a true 64 bit OS? Seriously, I don't know these things ...

So, if I am using Vista Ultimate, the Asus STRIKER EXTREME motherboard, The new Intel Quad Core, and Dual 8800GTX in SLI, What memory do you recommend and how much? More than 4 GB of different memory perhaps? Why does having 4 GB of identical memory slow down vs 2 GB? In any case, I am going to purchase what you say based on your vast experience over my non-existant experience, so please let me know what you recommend!!!

Thanks again,

Chris

Also, will the Striker in combination with Corsair memory be able to overclock itself just as good as manually?

So, if you are dropping $1400+ for memory, what should you get? Is 6GB or 8GB even better than 4 GB for Windows Vista Ultimate?

I believe there are 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista, at least at the consumer level. Ultimate may be purely 64 bit only.

Also, a memory amount can't be recommended without knowing what you want to use it for. Also, the amount of memory isn't what slows down 4 GB, it's 4 STICKS. 4 x 512 MB sticks would slow down in the same way as 4 x 1 GB sticks.

Maybe it is best I ask it like this again:

If you were going to spend up to $1400 on memory, perhaps $1500 (street/newegg price), what would you get, assuming you were going to get Windows Vista Ultimate, which I assume is the true 64 bit version:

1) 2GB = Twin2X2048-8888C4DF = save money, but 'only' 2GB

2) 4GB = 4 sticks of TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF = run slower

3) 8GB = 8 sticks of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 lower price = afford more memory... performance?

Asus Striker Extreme Details, Max Memory » 16GB

I wasn't aware Corsair or anyone made 2GB on one stick? didn't see that option...

All I know is that the Striker is ASUS most expensive and newest motherboard. Seems like Corsair worked with ASUS on that new automated memory timing thing for automatic overclocking?

In any case, it is capable of 16 GB memory, so how could it not support 4 modules? 4 modules meaning 4 sticks? What do you mean? I'm just a guy trying to figure out what memory to put into this new STRIKER board and not make a mistake like paying more for lower performance or such...

My thoughts are that 2GB of the would give the best results for a 2GB RAM system, of that I have no doubt. But the questiion is:

1) what is the model number of the memory that has 2GB per stick?

2) In what cases would 4GB or 8GB using 4 sticks or 6 sticks be faster than 2GB of TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF?? Perhaps that case would be when a program needs more memory and it has to use virtual memory and go to the hard drive instear of RAM? What do you think? Again, we are talking about Windows Vista Ultimate, which I assume is 64 bit... Assume useage for games, HDTV, and various sound/graphics apps...

3) Perhaps it is a waste to use 4GB of TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF, since maybe a slightly less rated version of Corsair would perform as well when using 4 sticks, overclocked or not...????

Thanks,

Chris

1) what is the model number of the memory that has 2GB per stick?

2) In what cases would 4GB or 8GB using 4 sticks or 6 sticks be faster than 2GB of TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF?? Perhaps that case would be when a program needs more memory and it has to use virtual memory and go to the hard drive instear of RAM? What do you think? Again, we are talking about Windows Vista Ultimate, which I assume is 64 bit... Assume useage for games, HDTV, and various sound/graphics apps...

3) Perhaps it is a waste to use 4GB of TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF, since maybe a slightly less rated version of Corsair would perform as well when using 4 sticks, overclocked or not...????

Thanks,

Chris

1. There isn't one. You cannot buy memory in 2gb DIMMs as of yet. The ICs are not widely available and are astronomically expensive. Therefore, they cannot be feasibly made.

2. In cases where the amount of memory available to the system is fully allocated and therefore the OS begins heavy page file usage.

3. What is the question here? I think this has already been answered several times above.

In a nutshell, there are no 4gb kits of 2 x 2048mb of memory available yet due to lack of ICs to build them with. If you conclude that you need 4gb of memory it will need to be done with 4 x 1gb DIMMs which will incur some performance penalty when compared to using 2 DIMMs. If you need 4gb I would suggest 4 x 1gb DIMMs of PC6400 or possibly the PC8500C5 if you think you will attempt to OC. Keep in mind though that all 4 DIMMs will need to be EXACTLY matched in both revision and lot # or you may get instability.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow I've never heard of 4 modules restricting performance before. 667MHz seems pretty low! How come some guys can hit 1000+ MHz with Corsair and other brands with 4GB (4 sticks)? I'm not arguing I'm just wondering how they do it.

I just bought 4GB of the 8500-C5D and was planning on running them 1:1 with my CPU. I was thinking maybe 700-750MHz with timings of 3-3-3-8 or around there. Is this possible then?

Thanks

I have never seen anyone hitting 1000MHz with 4 X 1024MB sticks installed in their system.

With 4 X 1024 you are paying your money and taking your chances. There is no hard and fast knowledge with overclocks and such clocking will be system (motherboard & peripheral) specific.

Keep in mind that BIOS's have been optimized for 512/1024/2048 and overclocks. They have not yet been optimized for 4096MB. Why would they when 99% of the industry (including the Enthusiast sector) are utilizing 2048 maximum?

The technology industry does not create and work on hardware optimizations until the software is fully acceptable of that hardware and at this point in time, it just isn't.

There is no qualification or guarantee of DRAM stability or performance in 4GB mode. This is across the board.

To answer your question regarding the possibility of 700-750MHz with timings of 3-3-3-8. Anything is possible. It might be so in your case. It might not as there just is not enough quantifiable proof on systems yet to be able to give a thumbs up or down.

I'm having difficulty finding TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF in stock and cannot afford to wait any longer unless:

I have 2 GB RAM in my AMDFX-60 based computer I built in April which uses: TWINX2048-3500LLPRO 2GB Kit DDR433 XMS3500.

Can I take 1 stick of that 1 GB and temporarily use it with the Asus Striker motherboard and the Intel Quad Core? That way it would buy me some time.... Do you need to fill both banks? Is that memory compatable?

????

Chris

No, you cannot use the 3500LL in a Striker. The 3500LL is DDR 184 pin memory and the Striker uses only DDR2 240 pin memory. If you cannot find the 8888C4, our Dominator PC6400C3DF and also the 9136 Dominator are sometimes easier to find. What CPU will you be using with the Striker?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it in your spex. With a QX6700, you will do well with either the PC6400C3DF or the PC9136D kits. How, and if you intend to OC will determine which memory you should use IMO.

Thanks,

I'll keep it in mind.... However, it just seems that the TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF would be the icing on the cake for a nice system... Maybe I'll buy some cheaper memory and then return it when the TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF ships... Hate to do that but I've been sitting around for a month on that memory... not sure why Corsair can't get that product moving... Between the Playstation 3, the Striker Extreme motheboard, and the TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF , I'm starting to get burned out on all this waiting around and constantly trying to get them.....

I have everything assembled but missing the motherboard and the RAM. No thanks to ATACOM, who made me miss two other vendors since they claimed they had both in stock only to mislead me and pass up two other buying opportunities... I need to get this computer moving since I'm beyond 30 days on most of these parts listed in my computer specs... Need to know if I have any bad parts...

I am using all of the Zalman Coolers, so I plan to overclock... Need Zalman coolers for the 8800GTX sooner than later to get rid of the noisey stock fans... By the way, do you really need the fan module on the TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF? How noisey are those fans?

Also, assuming I'm using the Striker Extreme MB, TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF, and the Quad Core CPU, (2) 8800GTX nVidia cards, etc... how well will the BIOS agrresively overclock itself? I thought these latest components were designed to max overclock themselves?

Update:

After further research, I'll be forgoing SEASONIC altogether... With Dual 8800 GTX, I'm getting a TURBO-COOL® 1KW-SR.

Question:

Nevermind, I see it in your spex. With a QX6700, you will do well with either the PC6400C3DF or the PC9136D kits. How, and if you intend to OC will determine which memory you should use IMO.

What is the differences between these two kits? In which case is one preferred over another? Advice?

Archived