Corsair Community

RAMGuy, Warranty Question!?

CaspersOnIt

Hi RAMGuy,

I need to ask what steps to take next please...

Mem - VS1GB400C3 -- Dual Channel Kit...

I have discovered 1 of my Dual Channel modules has failed in a bad way...

Came home from work the other day to the Mr's saying - "Hey love, your PC's not working!" - Eeeek! :eek:

So you know - I am an ISP Tech and have built and worked on PC's a lot of my life, so I understand the basics of BIOS and system testing...

Anyway, I pulled out the RAM after finding the system would not post and tried some old Brandname RAM (2x 256MB) I had laid around and it worked, (slowly, but it worked)...

I then tried each of my Corsair DC sticks one at a time - and found that 1 stick will boot normally and the other won't boot at all...

Funnily, with the bad stick in the primary Mem slot - the whole system fails to post (or at least place it to screen) even with the second stick in the dual channel position - (see profile for MB/VGA and such)...

I then took BOTH sticks to a local PC tech who I usually get my parts through and asked him to test the two sticks - sure enough - 1 stick Fine - 1 stick Shot!...

Now, the 2 questions I have are -

1 - Any ideas what could cause this so suddenly with my setup - (yes - I am a heavy gamer)...

2 - Should I now put an RMA in and send just the damaged stick back when I hear from them - or would I return both modules if they ask me to send them???

Any questions for me about my running habits or other, please let me know...

Thanks in advance,

Casper

[EDIT] - PS - Modules are just over a year old into my hands from new... and I have proof via my Ebay archive...

Archived