Corsair Community

Different revisions but same IC's?

geoduck

I moved this from the Corsair TwinX Revisions sticky thread because it wasn't getting any responses. Thanks in advance for any help.

I know that in order to run 4 modules together they should be the same revision number but I am finding it very difficult to match the revision of a TwinX2048-3200C2PT set that I already have, so I am wondering if using a different revision that uses the same IC's would work. I noticed on the IC Inquiry Thread that quite a few revisions use the same IC's as mine so it shouldn't be hard to get a set with matching IC's.

On a separate note, I noticed that even the same revision number doesn't guarantee the same IC's and this means that if I want to match what I already have I will have to ask on the IC thread specifically about any set that I'm looking at purchasing. I agree with alazarev in an earlier post that this is a problem with the part numbering strategy and I imagine it will show up more and more as people maximize their system's memory capacity.

• Corsair Employees

Well first thing, it’s not really a problem just a limitation and it’s not new.

Second we have always suggested that you get the memory you plan on using when you build the system. But yes if you can you need to match the modules part# and revision that you have now for best performance. And weather they work or not will usually be the MB and or CPU that will be the determining factor.

But It sounds like you have the right idea.

Thanks for the response. My main question was about what is the best thing to do if I can't match the revision number. For example, I have a TwinX2048-3200C2PT set with two matched CMX1024-3200C2PT XMS3202v1.6 0618085-1 modules and I am having a hard time finding revision 1.6 modules to match them. The IC inquiry thread lists these modules as having either 64MX8, AENEON, Die Rev C IC's or INFINEON, 64M X 8 Die Rev B IC's (see this post). Let's assume they have the INFINEON IC's. In the IC thread it appears most revision XMS3202v1.2 modules have the same INFINEON IC's, so would it work to use those, or are there more differences between revisions than just the IC's used? As you can see in my PC specs I already have one machine running 4GB with pretty decent timings and I want to bump another up from 2GB to 4GB. Sorry if this is getting tedious but I haven't seen this particular question addressed in the forum yet. Thanks again.

Archived